Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS activating during every stop. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 04:11 AM
erb2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new owner of a 1991 ES 300 that my parents bought new. It has 140K miles on it and the ABS is activating when just before coming to a complete stop. The brakes work fine at all other times, but when the speed gets below 5 MPH the ABS activates for about one second as the car completely stops. If I jam on the brakes just before it activates then it doesn't do it, but that's not a good solution!

So I joined this forum and read this thread. It just seemed to fizzle out with no clear resolution. Does anyone have any updates on how they fixed the problem?

Also, will the car really beep if I turn on the key and press the brake pedal 50 times? What does that do?
Old 04-07-16, 09:41 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by erb2000
I am a new owner of a 1991 ES 300 that my parents bought new. It has 140K miles on it and the ABS is activating when just before coming to a complete stop. The brakes work fine at all other times, but when the speed gets below 5 MPH the ABS activates for about one second as the car completely stops. If I jam on the brakes just before it activates then it doesn't do it, but that's not a good solution!

So I joined this forum and read this thread. It just seemed to fizzle out with no clear resolution. Does anyone have any updates on how they fixed the problem?

Also, will the car really beep if I turn on the key and press the brake pedal 50 times? What does that do?
You're in the GS thread, check out the ES 1st gen thread.

But regardless it's most likely your abs wheel sensors, test them and see if any are bad.

As for your last question the GS has an electronic brake booster so I doubt your ES would beep when you pump the pedal but that is essentially trying to make sure all your brake lines are filled with the proper amount of brake fluid.
Old 04-08-16, 09:15 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Set your car on a lift or jack it up, get under a look at every sad sensor . Take a picture of each one sideways. Look at the pictures and see whic one is not seating flat . That's the problem. Remove the sensor and clean the surface very clean and refit sensor. Recheck and test drive. That should fix it. Just a little raise would cause your condition.its actually caused by rust.
Old 04-18-16, 11:26 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Experiencing this problem, also. Bought the GS400 with bad left/front sensor, ABS code 32. It was a pain getting out, and a nightmare getting back in, and $184 for the part. Wasn't as bad when cold, now that it's warming up it's every single time. Don't presume it's that sensor. And oddly, it doesn't appear to happen until the car is warmed up, which makes it more of a mystery... thoughts?

Last edited by sbagdon; 04-18-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 09:40 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me after doing a front steering knuckle replacement. What happened was the O ring for the ABS Speed sensor tore and caused it not to seat properly in the knuckle. Since it wasn't in there right, it was getting inaccurate readings of the toner ring, which was engaging the ABS/TRAC all the time. The way I diagnosed this was running a monitored check of each individual ABS wheel speed sensor and seeing how each one was transmitting data in real time. Once I found which one was dropping off (front right) I checked out the sensor and found the torn o ring. Simply replaced the O ring (14 year old rubber o ring) and re installed it and boom, problem solved.... This may not be the same in your case, but worth a check. O rings are a easy and cheap replacement/test.
Old 10-10-16, 12:57 PM
johnno92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aristo722 - What method did you use to run the monitored check of each speed sensor? Did you have a diagnostic ABS tester (code reader with graphical sensor output), or did you use an oscilloscope or something similar? I would like to check mine and wanted to know what setup would work before I attempted it, or purchased the necessary equipment.
Old 10-17-16, 09:03 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnno92
Aristo722 - What method did you use to run the monitored check of each speed sensor? Did you have a diagnostic ABS tester (code reader with graphical sensor output), or did you use an oscilloscope or something similar? I would like to check mine and wanted to know what setup would work before I attempted it, or purchased the necessary equipment.

i actually work work at a Toyota dealership so I had access to TIS. You could use a scanner like OTC and all data. You could ask around sand see if anyone could let you borrow a scanner and do it that way.