Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Driftmotion solid steering rack bushings not fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 09:07 PM
BigMikeAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driftmotion solid steering rack bushings not fitting?

Hey CL. So I decided to replace my steering rack bushings tonight, as they were a little worn. I decided to use the driftmotion solid rack bushings. Now that the old bushings are out, I cannot seem to get the upper bushings in. At first I tried putting in the lower portion of the top bushing first since I figured it'd be more difficult. No matter what I did I could not seem to fit the bushing through the lower hole..? I figured I must be tired, or my angle must be wrong, and figured, what the heck, let's try the top "easy" one, and it will not seem to fit at all. It's like there is too much material to fit through the hole...? Anyone had this problem with these? Any suggestions?

Even when I put the lower bushings in they needed a little love from the mallet.

I'd appreciate any help I could get seeing as how my car is on jacks in front of the house
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-13, 09:09 PM
BigMikeAZ
Driver School Candidate

The car is a 97 sc300 if maybe it makes any difference in racks?
Old 10-16-13, 09:30 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

no, they are the same. just needs some tap with a hammer to install. IF there is some indents/damages from taking out the old bushings it can make it a little harder to install.

try to put the bushings on top and get a longer bolt/nut and tighten to try to press it in.
Old 10-16-13, 10:08 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've installed the battle version aluminum bushings twice and had to pound the heck out of them with a big hammer. Also used an impact to get them in. I placed the top bushings in the hole(does not go in more than 1mm or so) and hit the bottom bushing, which pushes the top bushing against the subframe I believe. Make sure you protect the bushing while hitting it or you'll end up having to drill the hole out a bit.

Also make sure to take all the bolts off the steering rack for better clearance. My methods probably not the correct way, but it works.
Old 10-16-13, 10:59 PM
BigMikeAZ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. They're in now I ended up just setting them on top and bottom with the bolt in the center, and tightened it up to see if it would snag, but they slid right in place. The bolt was barely long enough to do it, but it worked. Sweet. Major difference in road feel to anyone who's interested as well. Thanks again!
Old 10-17-13, 11:02 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lower mount hole on my rack may have gotten hit at some point so it was slightly distorted. Counldn't get it in whatsoever. I took the solid bushings and shaved it down, flat spotted it to accomodate the distortion, slipped it with a tap. Took me couple hours.

But I love them.
Old 10-17-13, 11:20 AM
AZOliT
Driver School Candidate

Yea I did them the other night with a hammer and an impact gun. My hands are sore now lol
Old 10-17-13, 01:12 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i need bushings badddd.