Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TOM's STB installed with TEIN flex -pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 03:45 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha, but didn't Drew just say you couldn't adjust the dampening with the TRD STB on too???
Old 01-27-03, 04:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by MrSypher
Gotcha, but didn't Drew just say you couldn't adjust the dampening with the TRD STB on too???
well he had trd stb before he got flex. but after he got the flex he said the trd stb doesn't fit anymore so he sold the bar and now got toms. i asked him and he told me it doesn't even fit @_@
Old 01-27-03, 05:10 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if only i could have the problems and issues i read about. in a few months hopefully...
Old 01-27-03, 01:56 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bravo261
if only i could have the problems and issues i read about. in a few months hopefully...
Your day will come my friend... You'll see...
Old 01-29-03, 12:08 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I never got notified about these follow up posts.

Rominl is correct, I had the TRD STB on before. But that is when I had the stock struts. Since I moved to the flex, the TRD stb would not fit. I sold the STB to alexus, and rode without one for some time. I notice my steering was floaty at high speeds even with the flex. I waited and waited for the UGO STB and could not get a hold of one. I had a opportunity to buy the TOM's so I did. the fit is nice and fits over the tein flex like you see in the picture. Very happy with my overall purchase and the results with the TOMS. Haven't had a chance to drive the car recently. I put my new car cover on. I will have to snap up some pictures of the cover, the fit is amazing. IT's a NOAH cover.
Old 01-29-03, 01:29 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

so,
what's the final verdict then?

the TRD front STB won't fit with the FLEX system?

one says it does,
the other says it doesn't...

if it doesn't... then i'll have to get rid of my TRD STB
Old 01-29-03, 01:41 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I tried to install the TRD stb after my flex install. It just was too close and I was afraid that i would rupture the top **** of the flex if I put the STB on. My mechanic also advised me against this. I was afraid under hard cornering and flexing of the chasis that the STB would rub against the ***** ruining both items. If rominl and mrsypher say they fit then they must fit. Rominl has the TEIN HA and mysypher has the flex but on a GS300. I am in a GS400 with tein flex.

2 much risk and I just rather put on the TOMS so I can change on the fly and not worry about these issues.

One thing for sure is that you will have to removed the TRD stb if you want to adjust the dampening. For me that is not acceptable. I like the fact I can ajust the dampening setting at any time and anywhere.
Old 01-29-03, 02:32 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Drew,

thanks for the info...

especially with the more weight of the v8, it'll be a good thing to not go with the TRD STB due to increased chassis flex...

i guess i'll go with the RMM STB... and go with the Tein electronic controller later down the road....

Old 01-29-03, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TerryTCL
Drew,

thanks for the info...

especially with the more weight of the v8, it'll be a good thing to not go with the TRD STB due to increased chassis flex...

i guess i'll go with the RMM STB... and go with the Tein electronic controller later down the road....

huh!? why would the trd stb have more flex? if anything it's a 1 piece design where the rmm is 3 piece, i dont' see why the trd will have more flex
Old 01-29-03, 05:39 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
huh!? why would the trd stb have more flex? if anything it's a 1 piece design where the rmm is 3 piece, i dont' see why the trd will have more flex

rominl,

not more flex because of the TRD STB, but more chassis flex because the V8 is heavier than the I6...

per drew's information as to how close the adjustment **** is to the edge of the TRD STB, the added weight of the V8 could cause a bit more flex than if compared to the I6 motor...

so, just to be on the safe side and not have a damaged adjustment ****, giving the coilovers more room would be beneficial.
Old 01-29-03, 07:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by TerryTCL
rominl,

not more flex because of the TRD STB, but more chassis flex because the V8 is heavier than the I6...

per drew's information as to how close the adjustment **** is to the edge of the TRD STB, the added weight of the V8 could cause a bit more flex than if compared to the I6 motor...

so, just to be on the safe side and not have a damaged adjustment ****, giving the coilovers more room would be beneficial.
ah gotcha. i have the HA with trd stb for couple months already and so far it's still ok. actually i still have like maybe 4mm or so clearance, so i am able to adjust using my bare hands. i hope it's ok
Old 01-29-03, 07:44 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Drew, question for you... When you installed the TRD STB did you jack the front-end off the ground?? That could be why it was so close.. When you don't release the pressure off the struts you have to try to force the STB on.. As for me I'm sticking to my story that Flex's and TRD STB can co-exist.....
Old 01-29-03, 09:36 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

Mrsypher, I believe that they can coexist. However the difference in mm is very small and too close for my comfort.

I have the pillowball mount, and my car was jacked when they installed them. I also think by adjusting the hex **** to a firm or soft setting "clicks" adjusts the height of the **** and hence its proximity to the STB.

Hey Rominl, you do not have the pillow ball mounts do you? So you can ajust the dampening on the fly "without removing the STB" ...what about you Mrsypher?
Old 01-29-03, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

when i adjust the stiffnest the **** doesn't go up and down at all, it just turns. that's not the same for everyone?

and no i don't think i have pillowball
Old 01-29-03, 11:08 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Drew, I'm not sure what a pillowball mount is.. Could you please explain?? As for the the dampener, mine justs turns too...