Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 11:27 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

great, thanks man I was looking for an answer before I make a commitment 👍🏼

Originally Posted by wakaru8
Not cryo, just the plain vanilla $85 version. They've held up pretty well in CA! Rotor surface is pretty smooth after several years even with the mostly local driving that I do, which means more stop and go
The following users liked this post:
wakaru8 (08-13-21)
Old 08-17-21, 06:52 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in the NE and have Centric Cyro rotors on my Tundra. I paint all my rotors on all vehicles with VHT caliper paint. They go dull but don't rust.
Old 10-06-21, 08:05 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

I installed centric premium rotors yesterday with akebono proact front n rear , seems like something not right I do see the brake pads not sweeping the whole rotors surface, It seems odd to me and I don’t wanna later on get to see the rusty ring, I bought centric over the oem because 1# the rust issue, am I missing something or the rotors is too big ? Any idea what is that I have seen a lot of people having the same issue, and also if you match the brake pads with the rotors before the installation you would see the whole big gap between then so it’s not the caliper or something!!? Can you guide me if I’m missing anything, cheers

Not cryo, just the plain vanilla $85 version. They've held up pretty well in CA! Rotor surface is pretty smooth after several years even with the mostly local driving that I do, which means more stop and go
Old 10-08-21, 09:27 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Costantine
I installed centric premium rotors yesterday with akebono proact front n rear , seems like something not right I do see the brake pads not sweeping the whole rotors surface, It seems odd to me and I don’t wanna later on get to see the rusty ring, I bought centric over the oem because 1# the rust issue, am I missing something or the rotors is too big ? Any idea what is that I have seen a lot of people having the same issue, and also if you match the brake pads with the rotors before the installation you would see the whole big gap between then so it’s not the caliper or something!!? Can you guide me if I’m missing anything, cheers
seems normal. here's how mine look after a few years with the same setup (pads and rotors). the front coverage is pretty good. the pads in the rear do look like they don't sweep the whole rotor. I recall measurinf them and noticed no size difference between these and stock rotors or pads. you're going experience the same thing with stock setup.

front rotors

rear rotors
User 122922 (10-08-21)
Old 10-08-21, 09:39 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

thanks for sharing your experience, so pretty much I gotta deal with that rusty ring forever, I don’t know why they couldn’t just make it less in diameter so the brake pads sweep the whole entire rotors and also will be less weight on the wheel, but anyway I’m very happy with the setup so far, and I’m glad to see your setup holding up very well within 1 year of use, happy Friday mate 🥂

seems normal. here's how mine look after a few years with the same setup (pads and rotors). the front coverage is pretty good. the pads in the rear do look like they don't sweep the whole rotor. I recall measurinf them and noticed no size difference between these and stock rotors or pads. you're going experience the same thing with stock setup.

front rotors

rear rotors
Old 01-31-22, 06:47 PM
Leo7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Costantine
thanks for sharing your experience, so pretty much I gotta deal with that rusty ring forever, I don’t know why they couldn’t just make it less in diameter so the brake pads sweep the whole entire rotors and also will be less weight on the wheel, but anyway I’m very happy with the setup so far, and I’m glad to see your setup holding up very well within 1 year of use, happy Friday mate 🥂

hey there

I just installed Stoptech Sport Slotted rotors on my 16’ IS300 AWD

within a day it’s started to rust!!
purchased the set from Tirerack.

i thought it would go away after driving but that wasn’t the case.

Front

Rear
Old 02-01-22, 09:14 AM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

If it is not obvious to folks, the "rust ring" will be there as the brake pad doesn't touch that surface of the rotor. If you would like to hide that unsightly ring, I suggest you HIGH temp paint whatever area you do not want to maintain to be rusty. Yes, paint the rotor surface, just wherever the brake pad DOES NOT touch. For most, a HIGH temp paint should suffice.
Leo7 (02-01-22)
Old 02-10-22, 03:59 AM
TheUser
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The rust that will eventually form on these aftermarket rotors is the reason why I stick with the OEM Lexus rotors. OEMs have factory e-coating which is highly durable and is totally worth considering if you are into aesthetics and all things proper.
Leo7 (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 06:54 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

i do have oem and they do rust from the ring and the hub as well , I’m not sure what coating are you referring to? At least centric they rust from the ring due to diameter size, but the hub is fully black coated

Originally Posted by TheUser
The rust that will eventually form on these aftermarket rotors is the reason why I stick with the OEM Lexus rotors. OEMs have factory e-coating which is highly durable and is totally worth considering if you are into aesthetics and all things proper.
Leo7 (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 07:14 PM
Leo7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheUser
where do you purchase it?
i have a 16’ IS300 AWD
Old 02-10-22, 08:14 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

I bought my centric from Tirerack.com almost 1 year now and they still look fantastic with akebono pad set I can’t really ask for more, I’ll leave you the link here if you interested in check them out

https://m.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes...ric&cat=Rotors

The oem rotors that I had was from Lexus San Diego dealer, centric making really good OE rotors for along time but with the e-coating hub which looks more premium on your wheel

Originally Posted by Leo7
where do you purchase it?
i have a 16’ IS300 AWD