Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tokico struts with stock springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 11:23 AM
adamc867
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico struts with stock springs

I need to replace the struts on my SC400 and I was considering the Tokico struts. I am hesitant on lowering the car due to camber/tire wear issues.
Will replacing only the struts improve the handling of the car and how will it effect the ride quality? Or should I go ahead and replace the springs with the Eibach kit?

Thanks
Old 02-01-03, 11:31 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Adam,

Good question, please try doing a search to get some background information.

Changing struts from the lower-pressure (comfort-oriented) factory setup to the high-pressure (performance-oriented) struts will make a difference. The largest notice will be a reduction in the "floating" feeling that the factory setup has. You will also notice a tighter "rebound" when hitting a dip or bump on the road. This will get the wheel back into solid footing with the road faster than the factory strut.

Overall, ride will be similar but tighter. You CAN install the Eibachs without adverse camber effects if you stick with the SC kit. Either way, you will need to have the car re-aligned regardless of if you use springs or not.

MW
Old 02-01-03, 03:14 PM
djl
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Tokico HP blue struts on my 93 SC400 with stock springs, very happy with them. They offer the same comfort as OEM KYB struts, and definite improved handling. The car floats less and steering feels more precise.

DJL
Old 02-03-03, 06:19 AM
adamc867
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

Adam
Old 03-03-03, 01:03 PM
ricksd
Driver School Candidate

Default Eibach Pro Kit verses SC Kit

Can anybody comment on the differences between these spring sets? Does the SC Kit lower the car at all? Do the SC Kit springs provide a firmer ride, better handling than stock springs? Is the Pro Kit a noticably better suspension than SC kit and stock, and does the Pro Kit require new upper and lower control arm bushings AND sway bar bushings? I recently bought a 93 SC300 and the suspension is poor; it sounds like a hammer is knocking on the shocks when I g over a small pothole or divet in the road. I'd like a firmer, better-handling ride, and plan to get new Tokico shocks, but comments on this board -- I'm a newbie -- indicate a lot of problems and COSTS with lowering car with Eibach Pro Kit: new bushings all around -- how much are these anyway and are Diazens the only answer for bushings? -- and problems with getting a good alignment.

Thanks for any feedback. Glad I found this forum; it looks like a great source of info and probably saves everybody a lot of money on service and performace mods.
Old 03-03-03, 10:15 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Rick,

I answered most of these question in your other post. Please utilize the search function and FAQs that are stickied to the forum. They cover ALL of your questions.

MW