Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS EDFC beeping at me and not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 11:31 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tein CS EDFC beeping at me and not functioning properly

So today on the way back from a friend's place, I start my car and hear three beeps coming from my EDFC for my Tein CS coilovers.

When I look at the controller, I see this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7DBp3z1uQ

And I cannot adjust the stiffness settings of either the front or the rear dampers even though only the front has that strange "EL" label instead of the damping setting. Anyone know what this could be? The beeping continues (three beeps at a time every 30 seconds or so) forever until I power off the EDFC.

The only thing I can think of is that on the way to my friend's place, I hit a pothole. It was a little scary, the kind of thing that may have given me a bubble in the tire if I hit it just right, but I've had several incidents at least that bad in the past as far as I can tell that did not have this consequence.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-14, 11:38 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So after google hadn't found me any good results, I tried one last search just now with some simpler wording, and I think I found the root of my problem. Something is wrong with the front left motor and/or it's connection to the control unit: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/635432-tein-edfc/

This makes sense since that is the wheel that hit the pothole. I'll take that wheel off tomorrow and see if I can find the problem... This is both good and bad news, heh. Good in that at least I've narrowed down the problem, but bad in that this might mean that that pothole caused somewhat expensive damage... I have no idea how much one of those motors would cost to replace if it came down to that (and hopefully that's the worst case scenario).
Old 02-09-14, 02:20 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Check to see if that motor/wiring is damaged at all.

GL!
Old 02-09-14, 02:39 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks.

After taking off the wheel to look for the motor, I didn't find it there and felt like an idiot when I realized it would probably be on top of the strut (although I at least discovered that my brake pads are nearing their EOL in the process). I checked under the hood, and there it was. And the problem was obvious and easy to solve. Motor's cable just became disconnected.

Reconnected, an no more beeping! Although that connection felt a little loose... so I have a feeling it'll pop off again at some point if I don't find a good way to keep it secure.
Old 02-09-14, 03:25 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem occasionally for my EDFC. My front driver side always comes loose.
Old 02-09-14, 10:58 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I have the same problem occasionally for my EDFC. My front driver side always comes loose.
Interesting. It's strange, I've been driving with these coilovers+EDFC for nearly seven years now without issue, and I've had a couple bumps bigger than that one that didn't knock anything loose, but I guess I'll see if this becomes a pattern going forward.