Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stainless Steel Brake Lines, performance upgrade or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 11:36 PM
jsibayan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stainless Steel Brake Lines, performance upgrade or not?

Hello All,

Since I can not afford a BBK kit, I was told that going with some aftermarket rotors and performance pads will make a difference. In addition, I was told by changing the brake lines to Stainless Steel would make a considerable difference. Can anyone chime in on this? I was wondering if it's worth the money.
Old 02-19-14, 07:26 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsibayan
Hello All,

Since I can not afford a BBK kit, I was told that going with some aftermarket rotors and performance pads will make a difference. In addition, I was told by changing the brake lines to Stainless Steel would make a considerable difference. Can anyone chime in on this? I was wondering if it's worth the money.
For a daily driver/ street car a BBK is definitely not “worth it” but that is for the car owner to decide. These BBK could give you better brake bias and will be more resistant to fade...but fade is not going to happen on the street under normal driving conditions. Tires will do a lot more than anything else.

Unless you are overwhelming the brakes and experience brake fading you don’t “need” anything. If you are looking for better Initial bite/ feel on a track car then yes, tires, brake lines, brake pad compound, flex in caliper, flex in master cylinder and type of fluid will improve these areas.

So to answer the actual question: I am not sure why someone will tell you that (unless he/ she is trying to sell you these items) but, NO stainless steel brake lines will NOT make a considerable difference unless the above conditions are present and still I will not call it considerable difference, many track cars use stock lines.
Rotors? Unless they are lighter I don’t see how they are going to do anything at all under normal street driving conditions.
Old 02-19-14, 09:00 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is talk about stainless steel lines here every now and then. The factory lines are kevlar or something, and more than up task. Stainless lines need to be inspected more often and are more prone to failure (allegedly). The only reason to use those over the stock lines is if you like the look.

As for a BBK, the stock size on the 350's is pretty good. I've tracked mine a few times and never had a problem with the brakes. I have high carbon blank rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads. I also had the fluid flushed and put in some good high temp brake fluid. If you wanted to track your 250 I can see larger brakes helping, but the size on the 350 seems fine.

TLDR: for street driving, stock setup is fine. If something "feels" wrong, you probably need to replace something that is worn out. If you want it for the looks, do whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-19-14, 12:00 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
There is talk about stainless steel lines here every now and then. The factory lines are kevlar or something, and more than up task. Stainless lines need to be inspected more often and are more prone to failure (allegedly). The only reason to use those over the stock lines is if you like the look.

As for a BBK, the stock size on the 350's is pretty good. [...] I also had the fluid flushed and put in some good high temp brake fluid. If you wanted to track your 250 I can see larger brakes helping, but the size on the 350 seems fine.
I agree with this. Especially the bold type. The conversion is cheaper than any other BBK but I think you can find IS-F ones cheaper than F-Sport (If you're trying to stay in the OEM spectrum)
Old 02-19-14, 12:10 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Definitely pass on the SS brake lines. If going with a "performance" rotor/pad, I'd recommend a slotted rotor and street/track aggressive pad for ultimate brake feel and feedback. Hope you're not worried about brake dust!
Old 02-19-14, 02:01 PM
jsibayan
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thanks for all the feedback.