Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coil overs or springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 10:10 AM
kateis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation coil overs or springs

so i have a 2010 awd is250 and i know the springs will make the car shake when its at a complete stop, and coil overs make the ride harder....

does anyone else have springs or coil overs that can give me some advice on what to do. im from new york so i cant have it lowered that much with all these pot holes. and its awd so i know it cant be too lowered.

i just need some help!!
Old 04-08-14, 11:46 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Eibach springs and F Sport springs/Shocks on IS250 and IS350, no clunking noise, no shake at stop, a little harsher than stock but still smooth as stock, much sportier and better handling. I go this route because the roads in Los Angeles is very bad, tons of pot holes. Also, I don't want to service the coil every 30k miles. Lower springs with a good durable shocks like F Sport will last much longer. I want to save my tires and don't want to put my alignment out of specs due to extreme lowering with coil. One can argue that you can put the same height as the lower springs but hey, when you have the coil, you will have the urge to go "moreeeeeee lowwrrrrrr" lol. I know i belong to the minority here since majority will no doubt say coil coil coil coil. It all comes down to personal preferences. I just offer my opinion.

You can read my review about my F Sports springs/shocks/sway bar here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-sway-bar.html
Old 04-08-14, 02:55 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was slammed on coils and have had cars with springs. I think from what you've explained the better route for you is lowering springs. They won't go too low and since you're AWD you can't be too low anyway. You'll have to do research in who makes springs for an AWd since I'm not sure about that. You can use springs with stock shock till they go bad. Than if upgrade to something else later.
Old 04-08-14, 03:22 PM
massaker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kateis250
so i have a 2010 awd is250 and i know the springs will make the car shake when its at a complete stop, and coil overs make the ride harder....

does anyone else have springs or coil overs that can give me some advice on what to do. im from new york so i cant have it lowered that much with all these pot holes. and its awd so i know it cant be too lowered.

i just need some help!!
Well I have a 2009 AWD and i regret springs with that said tho I have the SAGE RCA drop combined with spring and no shake. I will say i will probably get coil overs at some point just for the flexibility of it and being able to adjust ride height.
Old 04-10-14, 05:46 AM
jdm2u
Driver School Candidate

I have 06 awd n love my coils way more than springs to me they ride the same and I can adjust the height as I please I'm running bc coils
Old 04-12-14, 09:25 PM
510to808
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
I was slammed on coils and have had cars with springs. I think from what you've explained the better route for you is lowering springs. They won't go too low and since you're AWD you can't be too low anyway. You'll have to do research in who makes springs for an AWd since I'm not sure about that. You can use springs with stock shock till they go bad. Than if upgrade to something else later.
How did you make your IS look so perfect and did you daily drive it ? Im interested in doing my stance like yours so badly! and I'm from the bay and the roads aren't the best...
Old 04-14-14, 07:52 AM
kateis250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by massaker
Well I have a 2009 AWD and i regret springs with that said tho I have the SAGE RCA drop combined with spring and no shake. I will say i will probably get coil overs at some point just for the flexibility of it and being able to adjust ride height.
why do you regret the springs though?
Old 04-14-14, 07:53 AM
massaker
Pole Position

For the money i spent on the springs and the RCA i could have had some coil overs and the flexibility of adjusting the ride height if I wanted too.
Old 04-15-14, 11:18 AM
chowsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

07 is250 awd

I just lowered mine on Road Magnet Springs on stock shocks and wow what a difference in appearance!! Car rides just as smooth as stock. The only time I can tell a difference is when I enter or back out of the driveway, because my lip scratches and when the road is bad. Other than that Im happy with my choice. Besides its an AWD, any lower and you **** up ****, at least thats the majority of us say.
Old 05-05-14, 08:46 AM
lyjohnny
Driver School Candidate

go with coilovers.