Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Painted Caliper and stickers pix

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 10:27 PM
SCSC4
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice stickers. Ilike the L with the lexus.
For the jack stands if you look under the car, about 16 inches in from the car runs a piece that look like beam. So with a floor jack I was able to lift the car up enough to get the stands underneath and they supported the car no problem
Old 02-11-03, 10:36 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Does the paint come off when you rub against it?
Old 02-11-03, 10:43 PM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by SCSC4
Finished product pix 2
i don't remember lexus coming out with that style stock rims on the sc

are they stock or aftermarket with the L?
Old 02-11-03, 11:59 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCSC4
Nice stickers. Ilike the L with the lexus.
For the jack stands if you look under the car, about 16 inches in from the car runs a piece that look like beam. So with a floor jack I was able to lift the car up enough to get the stands underneath and they supported the car no problem
I'll have a look tomorrow. If its possible, when you are under your car next time could you take a picture please?

Thank you!
Old 02-12-03, 12:07 AM
SCSC4
Rookie

When I bought the car 2 months ago these were the rims on the car. The receipt that I got with the paper work showed he put them on right after buying the car. I did see a post on some supra rims and they looked very similar to what I have. If the rain stops I will take pictures of the support under the car.

Last edited by SCSC4; 02-12-03 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 02:34 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is that 500-degree paint holding up? I used 1700-degree paint to be safe, but it looks like yours has more depth in color. Do you have the brand names of those spray cans? I wonder how clear would look over silver calipers. PCMW has flat silver on his car and it's growing on me . With a coat of clear, that'd almost look polished!
Old 02-12-03, 07:42 AM
SCSC4
Rookie

The brand from pep boys is plasti-kote engine enamel (500 degrees) flat black and clear coat. The clear coat is what gave it the shine. I did about 6-7 coats of clear. I suspect that I could have gottem even more shine out of it if I had done the painting trick where you wet sand and compound and wax. Now that I am thinking about it, a coat of wax might be a good idea to help keep brake dust off. Hmmm. As for the depth of color that may be from the zillion coats. I was actuall trying to put so much paint on that it would come out smooth but I ran out of patience and time. I think I would have had to put the whole can on, if had wanted it to be completely smooth. But with so many coats you have to be really carefull of runs so I finally decided not to press my luck and wreck all the work I had done.
So far the paint looks great but it's only been a couple of days.
I am not sure what rubbing the one person was referring to.
Old 02-12-03, 04:04 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

First off, NICE JOB. It looks awesome!

Can you please post or forward Tim's email? I would like to get those stickers.

Regarding the order of things, obviously you painted black first. Then did you put the decal on and then clear coat on top of the decal? Or clear first and then decal on top?

Lastly, did you think of using Folio-Tec paint? If so, what was the thought process on going with the plasti-kote instead?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-03, 06:49 PM
SCSC4
Rookie

Thanks I appreciate the complement. Here is the info on the person who I got the stickers from. He would definely like to hear from you.
227 Garry Drive
New Britain, CT 06052
Cell # 860-983-3341
ted920@hotmail.com

As for the painting here are a few more details.
First a complete scouring of the calipers. I used new a scotch brite pad (the rough green stuff) and every cleaning product I had in the house including engine degreaser.
After a through rinsing with water and drying, you apply as many coats of the color of your choice (accept red) as you wish.
Next comes the stickers and here is the part that could get you, if you are not patient. The way the stickers are put together they have two plastic side one comes off before you begin to put them on. The other side is sticky and what you do is you very lightly apply the stick side to the caliper and then peel it away leaving behind the lexus letters. Now if you have not waited until the first paint has dried then when you peel off the sticker the paint will peel of also and you can quess the rest if that happens. Lastly to protect the stickers from the elements and brake dust you apply the clear coat.
I would have considered the Folio-tec paint but this was part of a large project of putting in new headlights. So I just went ahead with what was available locally. I am happy with the results and it was considerabley less money and I have spent enough already with all the fixing up I have done and plan to do
Good luck and have fun if you decide to do this project

Last edited by SCSC4; 02-12-03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-12-03, 10:02 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

I've heard some people complain about how they are able to rub against caliper and rub some of their paint off but since you have clear coat nevermind...
Old 02-12-03, 10:32 PM
hiyabrad
Driver

Thumbs up

SCSC4 - Thanks for all the great info. It is appreciated.
Old 02-13-03, 07:43 AM
lex_ga
Rookie

Why Not RED?
Old 02-13-03, 08:42 AM
SCSC4
Rookie

I was trying to offend everyone who has red calipers. No really, I just wanted to have a little comic relief in my otherwise boring, but informative post.
Old 02-13-03, 12:54 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by lex_ga
Why Not RED?
lex_ga, where in ga?

SCSC4 Nice job!! they look great, the sticker is a itty bitty bit too big for what I want to use, but with those wheels they look great... Im getting ready for spring break and do mine, hopefully it goes well and post pics!
Old 02-13-03, 01:15 PM
lex_ga
Rookie

I live in Dublin about 45 minutes south of Macon on I-16

Quick Reply: Painted Caliper and stickers pix