Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bushings - urethane vs rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-14, 03:34 AM
FunCarGo
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bushings - urethane vs rubber?

i want to replace my lca bushings, maybe even all suspension related bushings, as I have clunking noises from the front since lowering the old ****ter with supra lowering springs and shocks.

now i see different options in bushings namely urethane and oem replacement rubber ones.

i would like my ride to be not so harsh as the lowering already increased the harshness. I read that urethane bushings are more firm and last longer but rubber bushings are harder to install since they need to be pressed in...

anybody installed rubber bushings and can say something about the difficulty?
Old 05-24-14, 09:20 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say that there are a lot of generalizations about the 2 materials and it totally depends on the condition of the bushing and in the case of poly, the design and durometer of the material. Just be mindful that the biggest problem I have with rubber bushings is that they are single piece and constrict the suspension movement. Basically un-damped progressive torsion springs at every mount. Most people when they lower the car they do not recenter the preload on the bushings either, making them wear out even sooner. Many of the US bushing companies just make something that "fits" in the spot with no consideration to function, material or even grease retention.The poly bushings we offer from SuperPro Australia are designed to feel like OEM in comfort and outperform them in longevity and performance. Also common on the SC is that the captive ball joint in both LCA's goes bad...which new bushings cannot resolve. So just be sure to diagnose what exactly the problem is.

Also, I did a tutorial install on a 1GS which shares the same rear components as the SC for an idea of how tricky it is to get the old ones out. http://figsengineering.blogspot.com/...147-first.html
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 05-25-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-13-14, 04:43 PM
Lloyd57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of refreshing all the IRS bushings in my SC400, any hints or cautions?