Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Springs/Springs Rates and Ride Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-14, 05:14 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep thats what i'm thinking also now, but still want to maximize what I have right here (bilstein f-sport shocks) just want to know also on how the swifts would ride on faport shocks or rather install it on stock shocks.

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Lol Reyo you would hate life in my car... 16k/12k bcr's haha. But to the op: my friend used to have the tanabe DF 210? A while ago and they were very comfortable. I've heard swift are also very comfortable, as well as h.techs. I'd say just sell the fsport shocks and springs and buy a set of new coilovers. If you do coilovers just get Megan EZ street for sub 700 bucks and call it a day. You'll be able to lower and raise your car yourself whenever you want and also choose how soft or stiff the ride is. Hope this was helpful
Old 05-31-14, 11:01 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm no expert in the IS world but I wouldn't recommend any low on stock shocks it increases chances of blowing the shocks and that will definitely ruin ride comfort, but then again a 1.5 inch drop is not that big of a drop, so they might hold.

That's something I personally have to research as well because I'm trying to do the same, lower the car but not ruin the flying nimbus feel but I do hate the excessive body roll sometimes that's why I'm getting sways first, but I come from daily driving a car with coils 10kg in the front and 12kg in the rear and many suspension mods I felt markings on the streets felt like potholes.
Old 06-01-14, 02:03 AM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Swift lowers aroung 0.8" to 1.0" and as advertized they are design for stock shocks. They are not progressive but step linear or dual rate. So the advertized rates for the IS250/350 4.6kg frt 5.6kg rear doesnt change, which are close to stock rates. Just want to get as many feedback/real world reviews
Old 06-01-14, 04:05 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
How can you tell if a set of springs are progressive? Mainly trying to see if the S-Techs are
tein htech, swift, and road magnets are the only linear springs for the 2IS
all others are progressive
Old 06-01-14, 04:05 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by A_Grasso
Lol Reyo you would hate life in my car... 16k/12k bcr's haha. But to the op: my friend used to have the tanabe DF 210? A while ago and they were very comfortable. I've heard swift are also very comfortable, as well as h.techs. I'd say just sell the fsport shocks and springs and buy a set of new coilovers. If you do coilovers just get Megan EZ street for sub 700 bucks and call it a day. You'll be able to lower and raise your car yourself whenever you want and also choose how soft or stiff the ride is. Hope this was helpful
do you have good roads where you're from, i have no good roads here so i'll definitely die in your car LOL
Old 06-01-14, 10:39 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

you think the swifts will be complaint and feel like stock in these roads? how will the swift be, I'll post more of the roads going to and from the office. the freeway relatively is good on F-Sports i'm concerned with these roads I posted if I get the swifts

F-Sports are somewhat good here, but since its cement I could feel the unevenness on how its paved

F-Sports are pretty bad here in these roads

F-Sports are somewhat good here since its asphalt

F-Sports is okay here but it pogos on the expansion joints

in F-Sport I could feel the cement in these back roads

Last edited by albertgoq; 06-01-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 07:39 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by albertgoq
you think the swifts will be complaint and feel like stock in these roads? how will the swift be, I'll post more of the roads going to and from the office. the freeway relatively is good on F-Sports i'm concerned with these roads I posted if I get the swifts

F-Sports are somewhat good here, but since its cement I could feel the unevenness on how its paved

F-Sports are pretty bad here in these roads

F-Sports are somewhat good here since its asphalt

F-Sports is okay here but it pogos on the expansion joints

in F-Sport I could feel the cement in these back roads
honestly, any addition of "discomfort" from swift springs on paper will be negligible in real life
it's also personal preference too some people like their ride soft and comfy, some like it stiff as hell, some like it somewhere in the middle between the 2

compared to stock 250 AWD, aftermarket (stiffer, more discomfort on paper) springs ride better to me because they're firmer
Old 06-02-14, 09:50 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The road in your area is ok. It is worse in southern CA, there are also bunch of pot holes that will easily bend the wheels if not driven carefully.

F sport is kind of firm comparing to stock, what you describe can be discomfort but to some others, it can be road feel or feedback and it can be important in predictability in handling. That is why I prefer firm suspension.

I guess you are looking for most comfort, I would definitely advice you to stay with stock system or go with swift spring which is one of the most comfortable springs out there you can find.
Old 06-02-14, 07:28 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

yeah, I just want to have the most stock like feel of the ride while lowering it a little 1'' at the most just t close out the front fender gap and a little in the rear. I wont be driving the car hard on the corners so its more of my daily drive. I just want to gather more info on how swift will ride on stock shocks or f-sport shocks so I can go with my purchase of these springs (swift) or go with another route that can give the same stock comfort and quiet ride.

Originally Posted by FSportIS
The road in your area is ok. It is worse in southern CA, there are also bunch of pot holes that will easily bend the wheels if not driven carefully.

F sport is kind of firm comparing to stock, what you describe can be discomfort but to some others, it can be road feel or feedback and it can be important in predictability in handling. That is why I prefer firm suspension.

I guess you are looking for most comfort, I would definitely advice you to stay with stock system or go with swift spring which is one of the most comfortable springs out there you can find.
Old 06-02-14, 07:48 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

some of the roads here again just to make an assessment and feedback on how swifts will comply on our roads based on swift users experience

pretty bad if run this on f-sport springs

bad roads here you can really feel the road vibration here (not wife and kid friendly) LOL

f-sport springs not as compliant and rides soft and smooth here also

this is the better roads

is it because its progressive as the spring compresses on these bumps and dips on the road uneveness the spring gets stiffer as stated in the brochure of f-sport springs the compressed value of 6.6kg/mm final rate front
7.0kg/mm final rate rear
so as the springs and shocks rebound thats where the bounce go in the car?

Last edited by albertgoq; 06-02-14 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 09:14 PM
Kd0t
Driver

I had F-Sport Springs on my IS350 for a couple of months before going coils. I thought the ride quality was good for a car on springs. But then again, I am fairly used to the ride quality on lowered cars. A lot of my friends told me the ride is rather stiff/rough.

If I had a second choice on springs, I would most definitely go with Swift.

If I were to recommend you a suspension upgrade, go coilovers.
Old 06-03-14, 10:16 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swift spring is soft like stock so it will not blow the stock shock as fast as other stiffer springs. It is just like you pair it with stock spring. Don't pair it with F Sport shocks because that shocks will not be comfortable, it is more performance oriented.

Here are my recommendation:
1. Stay fully stock suspension.
2. Swift springs + stock shocks. Highly recommend this.
3. Coilovers, lower just a little (not too much) and go with the softest dampening settings.
Old 06-03-14, 05:51 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

thanks man! I will pick the option #2

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Swift spring is soft like stock so it will not blow the stock shock as fast as other stiffer springs. It is just like you pair it with stock spring. Don't pair it with F Sport shocks because that shocks will not be comfortable, it is more performance oriented.

Here are my recommendation:
1. Stay fully stock suspension.
2. Swift springs + stock shocks. Highly recommend this.
3. Coilovers, lower just a little (not too much) and go with the softest dampening settings.
Old 06-06-14, 01:10 AM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Some Readings on the H&R site on progressive springs

When a manufacturer quotes a progressive spring rate such as 80#, 150#, 225#, and the stock rate is a linear 135#, the new spring looks super progressive. Visually it seems to start off softer than stock and gets progressively stiffer as needed. But what these rates don’t tell you is that the chassis is already sitting at the 170# rate at loaded height. This means the "working spring rate" is actually 170# to 225#. The lower spring rate range below 170# is the dead or inactive spring coils which do nothing but give the spring tension at full rebound.
Old 06-06-14, 09:05 AM
skflowers
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by albertgoq
Some Readings on the H&R site on progressive springs

When a manufacturer quotes a progressive spring rate such as 80#, 150#, 225#, and the stock rate is a linear 135#, the new spring looks super progressive. Visually it seems to start off softer than stock and gets progressively stiffer as needed. But what these rates don’t tell you is that the chassis is already sitting at the 170# rate at loaded height. This means the "working spring rate" is actually 170# to 225#. The lower spring rate range below 170# is the dead or inactive spring coils which do nothing but give the spring tension at full rebound.
and dont forget the fact that our corner weights are spot on, we would essentially be running different rates on all four corners. This is what steered me away from a progressive setup to begin with.

Quick Reply: Springs/Springs Rates and Ride Comfort