Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Confirmed (With Pics): Supra Lower Control Arms LCA's on Lexus SC-300

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 07:44 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-19-15, 01:48 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

Why would you not just change the bushings and ball joint if the original arm is aluminum? aluminum would be lighter and provide better handling due to the lower un-sprung weight.
Old 05-19-15, 02:45 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Can anyone else comment on this? I had to search a bit to find where I had seen that the stock SC LCAs are aluminum -- not sure if this was the only thread or if there were others I saw -- but I mentioned it to SC3coupe and he was skeptical, so he suggested I check with a magnet. Sure enough, my front LCAs are magnetic, so definitely not aluminum. However, I can't say with any certainty that a previous owner didn't change them somewhere along the way.

It's tough to tell in the picture if the LCA on the left is unpainted aluminum or just really dirty black (cast iron)... Me2, were you able to tell a difference in weight between the two? That is, if you ever check back in. Five posts total, having started this thread seven months ago, suggests that's unlikely.
I wish I had pictures for you but I threw away my old LCA's about 3 weeks ago, but if those were aluminum I'd be extremely surprised. My old LCA's were black, and my new Supra LCA's were also black, weight seemed identical. They both were heavy like cast iron would be. Anyone claiming the SC LCA's were aluminum (at least the ones off my 92 anyway) is more than likely just trying to make a buck off people.
Old 05-19-15, 02:53 PM
DHenn
Driver School Candidate

I thought it was strange that people would "upgrade" to a heavier arm.

Hoping someone can clarify that 100%
Old 05-19-15, 10:18 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Thanks eknine9, that fits my observations. The earlier assumption-info must have been incorrect.
Old 06-03-15, 08:19 PM
brainsquee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JZA70 LCA's

Hi, im new to this thread. Im about to buy a 1992 sc400 and i think it needs new ball joints, upper and lower. it has the occasional clunk feeling when driving down the road, and i can tell its coming from the front left. It drives as straight as an arrow down the road. I have done some research and the LCA's are ridiculously priced but have found (thanks to this thread) that supra lca's fit perfect. My only question is if the JZA70 supra LCA fits as well, because that LCA is even cheaper than the mkIV supra LCA. Thanks!
Old 06-03-15, 11:01 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JZA70 Suspension is not compatible with SC300s or Supras.

All LOWER CONTROL ARMS (Front and rear, left and right) are cast steel. This is the same for SC and Supra. Be aware that Supra Rear LCAs are shorter than SC.

All 4 upper control arms are aluminium.
Old 06-04-15, 09:14 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Also to add for those new here, the ball joing on our control arms (lower) is not replaceable. when they go bad you have to replace the entire arm. thats why its better to just do the whole supra arms so you get new bushings, balljoints, the works. if you just do new bushings on tired old SC ball joints, you might still have a loose/wandering steering feeling.

also the bushings in the supra arms are more firm than our arms and should last longer, so its an upgrade as well.
Old 06-04-15, 04:48 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Swapping them out can be done, but you're talking about retooling the metal with specialized cutting tools or acetylene, then trying to find the right ball joint, welding, etc..just get new arms that have newer structural integrity, fresh paint, and IMO spray them with a coat of anti-rust.
Old 12-07-15, 05:42 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Also to add for those new here, the ball joing on our control arms (lower) is not replaceable. when they go bad you have to replace the entire arm. thats why its better to just do the whole supra arms so you get new bushings, balljoints, the works. if you just do new bushings on tired old SC ball joints, you might still have a loose/wandering steering feeling.

also the bushings in the supra arms are more firm than our arms and should last longer, so its an upgrade as well.
It seems most people are on 300's around here, are they the same as the 400?

When I bought my car I vin checked it on Lexus.com and one of the last times the car was taken in they recommended replacing the LCA's. It still drove better then any other car I've driven but now just two years later every bump feels harsh. When replacing my front calipers last week I noticed one bushing looked completely shot, and now I'm getting a grinding feeling from the front right of my car when coming to a full stop...
Old 12-07-15, 05:58 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
It seems most people are on 300's around here, are they the same as the 400?
Yes, they're the same.
Old 01-03-16, 02:21 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Pretty good write up thanks!
Old 01-27-16, 03:40 PM
patsc300
Driver School Candidate

hey do I still need to use the rubber stoppers from the stock lca on the supra lca
Old 07-23-16, 11:09 AM
98supra6sp
Driver

I can confirm that all of the upper control arms from a 1998 Supra T.T. fit on my 1998 Lexus SC400. I also replaced my front lower control arms with the 98 Supra ones at the same time as well as the front sway bar end links. The REAR 98 SUPRA T.T. sway bar end links are NOT COMPATIBLE. I also installed both sway bars from my supra. I just finished installing all of these parts as well as the front and rear struts and springs. Rear upper control arms were probably the worst installation of any part that I have ever attempted to install on a car due to absolutely next to no clearance.
Old 09-15-16, 04:13 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

99 sc300, part numbers 48068-14080 and 68069-14080 both fit wonderfully and a way better price than the lexus ones. Thanks for the amazing sticky!

Quick Reply: Confirmed (With Pics): Supra Lower Control Arms LCA's on Lexus SC-300