Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

coilovers vs. springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 09:45 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys soooooo suck! i was considering just getting springs/shocks, but now im going for coilovers. AARGGHHH!!! btw anyone have Tein CS? i can get hook up on those and wondering about how the quality is as my seller might be a bit biased.
Old 09-23-03, 11:14 PM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

If you want tein's ... get the flex.... you can shorten the actual strut to lower it....... not lessen the preload of the spring.
Old 12-04-03, 08:12 AM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

i have the l-tuned struts w/ eibach pro kit springs...loving every minute. very nice, and definetly improved the ride
Old 12-27-03, 10:50 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Whats a good price for a set of used Tein CS's? Also, whats the price for CS's new? I'm looking at going with them or the l-tuned suspension

Last edited by Blue98Gs3; 12-27-03 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 12:27 PM
rodel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by NoRyceGS4
you guys soooooo suck! i was considering just getting springs/shocks, but now im going for coilovers. AARGGHHH!!! btw anyone have Tein CS? i can get hook up on those and wondering about how the quality is as my seller might be a bit biased.
I agree with you guys...Coilovers are great! I have the TEIN flex on another car. You can can tinker with the rebound and compression and ride height.

A very important factor to consider, when buying a complete adjustable coilover set or shock/spring combo, is use. The following questions should be considered:

1. How often will you adjust your suspension setting? If you're doing things like auto-crossing and road racing, coilovers would be money well spent. Coilovers allow you to tune the suspension with 3.accordance to the track. On a daily driver, I think it would be reasonable to say that suspension tuning won't be done much; thus adjustable coilovers would not be necessary.

2. How low do you want to go? Keep in mind that when you change the ride height, the suspension camber also changes. If you want proper tire wear, you may have to get the car re-aligned. If your car is a daily drivver, I assume you want proper tire wear. How often will you be adjusting ride height? So how often are you willing to spend for re-alignment?

The points that I made above are some of the basic questions to ask yourself when considering the purchase of coilovers. For those stating that springs/shock combo is for noobs, think again. Keep in mind that springs/shock combos are about $300 - $700 less than the complete coilover setup. If there's no need to spend that extra money, why do it? (If you have deep pockets, then more power to you.)

I'm new to this board, guys. But I've been in the hobby of tinkering with cars since 1995. I just thought I'd share my thoughts on this coilover discussion. One of the things that I learned was choose your parts according to how the car will be used. Thanks.

Last edited by rodel; 02-04-04 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-10-04, 09:34 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

OK, I am getting rims in a couple weeks and now that I have the basics of wheels and tires squared away, I am diving into the world of suspension modding.

I've noticed how everyone is always encouraging others to drop their cars. At first I didn't know why nor could I visually see a reason to lower one's car. Now I do. I see how some people's cars look like they are rolling on certs driving down the street on Murano looking stock set-ups. I know that there will be a small degree of ride comfort lost by going to 18s and also by dropping the car a bit to close the gap. I have read about springs,shocks and coilovers and I think I want to move towards the coilovers. I'm not a racer so my ride comfort is most important to me, which is the reason I bought a lexus. But I have noticed some sort of eletronically controlled set up contraption that adjusts the ride comfort and springs and shocks, I beleive. Can someone help explain this phenomenon to me? What would be best for me in your opinion? Knowing that my GS is my everyday car and I drive alot all over Chicago, what would give me the best ride and also the least trouble/problems? I drive alot on the highways here and on the streets and I am pretty good about avoiding potholes but I am worried a bit about the loss of ride comfort for someone like me who doesn't really need to take corners too aggresively.

Also, I'd like to be able to adjust my heights depending on my needs for the drive. I take quite a few road trips and I like to sail down the Eway.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-10-04, 09:43 AM
OsideGs4
Driver School Candidate

IF YOU WANT COMFORT FOR COILOVERS GET THE TEIN CS .... COMFORT FOR REGULAR GET L-TUNED SHOCKS AND H&R , EIBACH OR L-TUNED SPRINGS. BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.
Old 03-10-04, 04:00 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by chicagoblknazn
But I have noticed some sort of eletronically controlled set up contraption that adjusts the ride comfort and springs and shocks, I beleive. Can someone help explain this phenomenon to me? What would be best for me in your opinion? Knowing that my GS is my everyday car and I drive alot all over Chicago, what would give me the best ride and also the least trouble/problems? I drive alot on the highways here and on the streets and I am pretty good about avoiding potholes but I am worried a bit about the loss of ride comfort for someone like me who doesn't really need to take corners too aggresively.

Also, I'd like to be able to adjust my heights depending on my needs for the drive. I take quite a few road trips and I like to sail down the Eway.
From this description, there is only one option: Tein CS. I say this because Tein is the only company that has EDFC (Electronic Dampening Force Control). The Tein coilovers (like a few other brands) allow for the dampening valve of the shock to be adjusted for different ride characteristics (soft to stiff). Usually, you can adjust the **** on top of the shock. With EDFC, a motor is mounted on top of the shock which then allows you with a module inside the cabin to set the valving on the fly.

Next up, more ride quality and less handling. This is the trade-off you described and this is how the CS system is set up. The handling is much more predictable than stock but ride degradation is minimal. Also, the CS is meant for street cruising driving so it is softer, smoother, and quieter than some of the other Tein systems.

Ride height. If you want height adjustability, then again it has to be coilovers. (Note: There are some shock/springs systems that allow some height control but they won't have the ride/handling/EDFC features.) Now, you won't be able to push a button and the height changes but you can jack up the car, take the wheels off, and adjust the height to your liking. Unless, you really need to, I have not seen anyone adjust height on a per trip basis. Changing height is doable and pretty straight-forward but it is not something you can do in 10 minutes or less.
Old 03-10-04, 04:51 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Does the EDFC control teh height as well. I am trying to decide between Tein CS and Just new Springs and shocks to lower the car. I want a nice smooth Lexus ride but a lower car.

Rodel says"1. How often will you adjust your suspension setting? If you're doing things like auto-crossing and road racing, coilovers would be money well spent. Coilovers allow you to tune the suspension with 3.accordance to the track. On a daily driver, I think it would be reasonable to say that suspension tuning won't be done much; thus adjustable coilovers would not be necessary."

This is just a daily driver and cruiser for me and not a racer. My main purpose for upgrading my suspension is to be able to lower my ride but also keep my smooth ride, like I said early. I'm kind of split on this decision. Since I'm not a racer (well not on a track) I am sort of wanting springs and shocks, but on the other hand the 2/3 more spent for the Tein CS are interesting too, just to play with.
Old 03-10-04, 05:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally posted by chicagoblknazn
Does the EDFC control teh height as well.
No, the EDFC only controls the stiffness of the coilovers, not the height. You have to do that manually with a special tool.
Old 03-10-04, 05:10 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

First off, your not going to really be "playing" with them...even if you get the EDFC, chances are you will set your favorites and it will stay that way in the long-term. Second, changing the ride height is not going to be an easy task...you have to jack the car up, take off all the wheels, get out your ruler and adjustment wrench, and start adjusting, put the wheels back on, set the car down, check out the ride height, lift it back up, take off the wheels, adjust again, put wheels back on, etc...until you are satisfied.

Overall, chances are you will just set it where you want it then leave it...most guys that slam their car or have aggressive drops usually end up raising their car to avoid scrapping, etc...

If you have 18" rims, you are not going to have that much ride degradation...and you can always opt for a fat tire setup..i.e. 245/45/18 versus 245/40/18 which will give you more sidewall, hence a smoother ride.
Old 03-10-04, 05:27 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by KVA
First off, your not going to really be "playing" with them...even if you get the EDFC, chances are you will set your favorites and it will stay that way in the long-term.
I guess it depends. I use mine almost every time I drive the car, depending on the road conditions.
Old 03-10-04, 06:21 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL...and I used to play with my VSC all the time, but after running stock GS/IS/LS/SC through the ringer, it is rare that you actually need to turn it off...all I was implying is that novelty usually wears off for most people...obviously your not one of them (probably got wife setting and no wife settings LOL!)
Old 03-10-04, 06:28 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by KVA
probably got wife setting and no wife settings LOL!
yup. And the stiffest setting for when I really want to attack a section of road (corner, freeway entrance/exit ramp, ...).
Old 03-10-04, 09:27 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

still have camber problems though? or has daizen already released the fix? the only reason i have delayed the dropping of my car was because the cost to replace the tires on my car is ridiculous.

Last edited by NoRyceGS4; 03-10-04 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: coilovers vs. springs/shocks