Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coils or

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 09:43 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 415 Likes on 252 Posts
Default Coils or

I had g37s and it was epik feeling. Hard as f&$k and it wasn't coils, I want the same feeling. Help please. I read guys here getting coils and bouncing like them kids that cut their springs and regret it,,, then get swift springs and so on...... But many are happy too. I wish I can feel what a great coil set up you guys are rolling with. Friend of mine has on rx7 but spend some serious coin which I'm not considering. So if I can just get that combo of struts and springs boooooooooom I'll be happy as ever!

Thx m8's
Old 09-05-14, 11:40 AM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

What is your suspension budget? We can help point you to what might be the best bang for your buck.
Old 09-05-14, 02:06 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using DGR. Not well known, so you probably won't find too many others recommending them.
They are 13k front, 9k rear. I use them to autocross (well, twice so far). If I set the dampers all the way hard, they are a little too hard for me for normal street, but fine on auto-X.
<$1000
If you can stand a little stiffer, 14k/10k is readily available from a number of brands. I like the 4k differential front to back, but a lot of people seem to like the 2k differential which is pretty common. Obviously if you went down to 10k/6k that would be too low and then a 10k/8k would make more sense.

FYI there are some bad roads where I live. If I drove over nothing else but bad roads, I'd be changing to softer springs. Fortunately they repair enough of the streets that I can tolerate the bad ones I don't know how you are going to figure out your tolerance without trying some. If you want to try someone elses setup in a different car remember that the weight of the vehicle plays a pretty big role in how the spring rate will feel, so take that into account when you decide what you want for your own car.

Edit:
Something I left out. How stiff a particular spring is going to feel depends on where the spring is located relative to the wheel and the length of the control arm. So don't just assume you'll like a 10k spring because your friend used it in a car of similar weight. In fact that kind of negates my suggestion that you try someone elses setup. Sorry didn't mean to mislead.

Last edited by scott1256c; 09-05-14 at 06:54 PM. Reason: left out