Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration when braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 01:37 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Also to throw it out there, I have had the same type of symptoms you described on another car and it was a blown shock. not all of them but one of them was bad enough it would just vibrate up and down when breaking instead of dampening like its supposed to, almost felt like you were dragging that wheel along when braking, so check out all 4 shocks while they are at it.
Interesting.. Do you remember which shock it was? I have some weird vibration while only stopping. I KNOW I need a new LCA because it clunks while stopping or reverse stop but just wondering...
Old 09-22-14, 06:59 AM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I didnt get back to you guys, sooner. Had to go out of town for a few days. In response to your question, Tibby. Yes, I did replace the brakes also. The vibration is somewhat intermittent, and I'm not completely sure that it is only occurring when breaking, just more noticably.

Ali, I had the car lifted and checked by someone recommended to me last week. As you mentioned he was able to use a pry bar to show me where the bushings were bad on the left LCA, the right was worn as well but not as bad. There was no indication the ball joints was bad but I figured since the bushings were in bad shape, the joints are probably not too far behind. So I've decided that I would go ahead and have both LCA's replaced. I went ahead and priced out the 97 supra LCA's at 220 a piece. As for the shocks, there doesnt appear to a a problem with them, but I know at some point they gonna need to be replaced also, so I have that on my radar.

Thx, again guys for your input. I'll keep you posted
Old 09-22-14, 07:03 AM
fifaref2
Driver School Candidate

Bushings resolved are iss
Old 09-22-14, 07:15 AM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fifaref2
Bushings resolved are iss

Huh? What do you mean, Fifare?
Old 09-23-14, 12:57 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 120k-ish miles I had bad vibrations at speeds above 50mph. The steering wheel shook pretty bad. It never shook while braking though. You're smart for replacing the entire control arm getting a new balljoint is worth it. I used Supra LCA's and what a huge difference.
When you pull off your LCA's you'll probably see this:

...and this:

Now with that said, let me give you some advice. Unless it's a shop that specializes in these cars or Lexus/Toyota, I won't waste my time with them. Problems with these cars are rarely black and white. There's a ton of gray areas and when it comes to vibrations, you can spend a ton of cash in the process of elimination. I caught the sarcasm in SexCoupes remarks but between the lines, I'm sure what I just said is what he was meaning to convey to you... and yes, you were overly sensitive at his comment.

If you are not a do it yourself kinda guy this car will be expensive to own as you are at the mileage that the motor mounts, transmission mount, rack and pinion, and flexible couplings will begin to fail, causing very irritating vibrations. If you can do most of this yourself, then just the price of parts and you're good to go for another 100k miles easily.

I'm still battling a vibration issue in my SC400 after completely replacing every suspension part in the front end, motor and tranny mounts, so I feel your pain. Currently waiting on my second rack to be delivered. I have yet to inspect the driveshaft though. That will be this weekend. Honestly, I'm hoping to find cracked flex couplings or a bad carrier bearing. Then maybe I'll have some definitive answers. Good luck to you. I hope the LCA's fix the problem for you.

Last edited by gtsfire; 10-26-14 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Removed "butthurt" due to the inability to comprehend sarcasm and being too sensitive for an automotive forum.
Old 09-24-14, 05:47 AM
wdwilson10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtsfire
At 120k-ish miles I had bad vibrations at speeds above 50mph. The steering wheel shook pretty bad. It never shook while braking though. You're smart for replacing the entire control arm getting a new balljoint is worth it. I used Supra LCA's and what a huge difference.
When you pull off your LCA's you'll probably see this:

...and this:

Now with that said, let me give you some advice. Unless it's a shop that specializes in these cars or Lexus/Toyota, I won't waste my time with them. Problems with these cars are rarely black and white. There's a ton of gray areas and when it comes to vibrations, you can spend a ton of cash in the process of elimination. I caught the sarcasm in SexCoupes remarks but between the lines, I'm sure what I just said is what he was meaning to convey to you... and yes, you were overly butthurt at his comment.

If you are not a do it yourself kinda guy this car will be expensive to own as you are at the mileage that the motor mounts, transmission mount, rack and pinion, and flexible couplings will begin to fail, causing very irritating vibrations. If you can do most of this yourself, then just the price of parts and you're good to go for another 100k miles easily.

I'm still battling a vibration issue in my SC400 after completely replacing every suspension part in the front end, motor and tranny mounts, so I feel your pain. Currently waiting on my second rack to be delivered. I have yet to inspect the driveshaft though. That will be this weekend. Honestly, I'm hoping to find cracked flex couplings or a bad carrier bearing. Then maybe I'll have some definitive answers. Good luck to you. I hope the LCA's fix the problem for you.
Appreciate your input. You could have left out the "butthurt" comment, though. Not sure why you were compelled to say that , given that otherwise you provided some useful information, and also because nothing in my reply suggested anything more than pointing out that he misunderstood what I was saying; something also noticed by someone else. I'm not going to allow myself to get agitated by others comments. I'm more adult than that . And just cause I try to be civil and reply to those that offer advise, no matter how slanted it may be, doesn't make me emotional. thanks again.
Old 10-29-14, 09:10 PM
Titten
Driver

Torsion arm bushing? Worth checking out.