Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein CS vs Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 10:38 AM
CANADAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS vs Tein Flex

Has anyone driven in a GS that has experienced the ride differences between these coilovers. Im confused on what setup to get. I want a ride that stills has the close to the Lexus feel but want the lowered look with improved handling. I realize with coilovers that I will never keep the original feel but I dont want to have problems with scraping, bottoming out, or fender rubbing. Do the Tein CS coilovers have the ability to lower the GS to the same level as the Tein Flex? Does anyone have first hand experience with these coilovers? Should I just save the money and buy the L-Tuned springs and shocks?Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
JR
Old 03-05-03, 01:37 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, they both the softer ones. i don't really know, as i'm sure the more informed will chime in soon. they both go lower than our cars can handle, so it doesn't really matter how low they go at max. They say that the CS can offer a feel that is pretty damn close to stock, with the lowering that you like.

a few people have posted in Bit's forum, a sticky above this thread, and no one has answered saying they've sat in both for a comparison. and no one here will tell you to get springs/shocks over coilovers
hope that helps as a start
Old 03-05-03, 09:04 PM
Guru
Lead Lap

From what I understand the Flex allow greater lowering but the CS will be more comfortable and quieter. I think either Tein system is far superior to the L-Tuned parts myself. I'm going with CS as I want to keep this car comfy. I have a full race STi coming in for fun.
Old 03-06-03, 08:31 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

The Flex's allow you to get much lower than the CS and have a lot more flexibility, hence the name. I Have stock 17's and wanted the car to kiss the tires, so I got the Flex's. The CS don't go dwn low enough and are too soft, from what I'ver heard.
Old 03-06-03, 10:42 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by dgtbullet
The Flex's allow you to get much lower than the CS and have a lot more flexibility, hence the name. I Have stock 17's and wanted the car to kiss the tires, so I got the Flex's. The CS don't go dwn low enough and are too soft, from what I'ver heard.
I've never heard of coilovers ever being too soft before.. I have the Flex and the Lexus ride quality is pretty much gone.. But I have to say with the stock 17's it's no that bad.. Now when I had my dub's on, it was terrible.. But just like the others stated the CS are alittle more comfy and is probably the one you should go for..
Old 03-06-03, 11:43 AM
Stealther
Lead Lap

I'm watching this thread closely as I'm considering getting a set of CS's for my GS400 whenever my dealer finds me a new one. After driving a BMW 540, I loved it's suspension, but for the money I couldnt justify the 10k premium that the 540 cost.

Which if any coilover comes closest to the firm-taut ride of the 540 without crossing over into the pure sports car type of ride? A good GT type of suspension (firm yet still forgiving) is what I'm looking for, not a slalom king type of ride. One more thing, is the CS compatible with the EDFC system?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-03, 12:48 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Stealther
I'm watching this thread closely as I'm considering getting a set of CS's for my GS400 whenever my dealer finds me a new one. After driving a BMW 540, I loved it's suspension, but for the money I couldnt justify the 10k premium that the 540 cost.

Which if any coilover comes closest to the firm-taut ride of the 540 without crossing over into the pure sports car type of ride? A good GT type of suspension (firm yet still forgiving) is what I'm looking for, not a slalom king type of ride. One more thing, is the CS compatible with the EDFC system?

Thanks!
I think what your looking for might be the CS coilovers too. And also I think the EDFC will work with the CS coils.. Here's Tein's Website, check it out...
Old 03-06-03, 12:49 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the CS that much softer? well, given the price and the ride, i think i'll be going the CS road one day as well then.

i'm with sypher, 20" and a hard suspension should be a killer. with springs, its good so far
Old 03-06-03, 01:25 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

See when you say "softer" what is soft?? You have to remember that these are coilovers, and soft really isn't that soft.. But I know they are softer than the Flex, and definetly the HA's.. But remember they are coilovers, and they are still going to be somewhat tight/stiff...
Old 03-06-03, 01:30 PM
Stealther
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link! Have you all noticed any signifigant camber issues when installing these? I realise there is no camber kit for our cars, how signifigant if at all are the camber issues when dropping the car, say 1-2 inches?
Old 03-06-03, 02:46 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Well, already with stock 17's there is a issue with inside tire wear, and when dropped it's worse.. But I heard that if you keep on top of rotating your tires they will wear almost evenly, that's if your not staggered... That's it...
Old 03-11-03, 11:42 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default what about the tein HA???

any thoughts? whats the difference between them and the flex? any thoughts!
Old 03-12-03, 07:13 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

do you mean besides them being super stiff???
Old 07-29-03, 06:18 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is very informative post!