Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

most likely source of squishy sound from rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-15, 04:02 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

Here are a couple of better pictures of the Left Rear strut insulator, showing it from the rearmost side of the wheel. Both sides have that little section along the back edge that doesn't appear properly tucked in. Is that normal? That perspective also shows the odd lip that doesn't get the under-coating, making it look less like a crack.

Also, I checked inside the trunk and it all appears okay. Everything is tightened down, including the padded top hat not pictured, and there's no sign of metal damage.

Old 02-09-15, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

just throw some lowering springs on there and see if it fixes it =)
Old 02-09-15, 11:25 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I like stock suspension travel.
Old 02-10-15, 12:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well that explains everything cause the stock suspension is "squishy".. lol.
Really though I do hope you figure out the problem.
Old 02-10-15, 01:08 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Well played.

I need to find some "suspension dyno" contraption that can compress the suspension one corner at a time so I can walk around and under the car and figure out where the noise is coming from...

I just got a line on a full rear sway bar set (w/ subframe mounts and end links) from a MKIV Supra. It's the 20mm bar, not the more recommended 22mm one, but I may go ahead and do that instead of replacing the stock bushings with poly. Might as well improve performance and cut weight as long as I'm doing the work, right?
Old 02-11-15, 09:23 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
I like stock suspension travel.
I totally forgot to mention the main reason for not lowering the car: I wouldn't be able to get up my driveway! Even at stock height, one of the mufflers will drag if I don't approach from the right angle, and slowly at that. I've had to get used to circling around the block or coming home a different way to approach from a different side than normal.
Old 02-12-15, 10:53 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

lol, I have to do similar on my front driveway, and I only have the tanabe nf210's which are not low at all.

its probably a bushing somewhere, check that bottom bushing on your shock absorber if you changed it recently, sometimes those can fail but usually on the heavier cars and when they are older.
I am guessing you have had a look at the trans mount and also check rear exhaust hangers maybe something is shifting around more than before.
Old 02-12-15, 12:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

its probably a bushing somewhere, check that bottom bushing on your shock absorber if you changed it recently, sometimes those can fail but usually on the heavier cars and when they are older.
None of the bushings looked terribly worn when replacing the struts over the summer, other than the front LCA ball joints being a bit loose (hopefully being addressed next week). Should I be looking for anything specific?

I was sort of wondering the other day if it's the new bump stops on the rear struts. Should it be possible to hit them on moderate unleveling of the rear end?

I am guessing you have had a look at the trans mount and also check rear exhaust hangers maybe something is shifting around more than before.
I replaced the transmission mount a few months back, and the rear exhaust hangers are all solid -- I've had several looks at them recently doing exhaust work and removing the tie-downs they share the mount with. My subframe-differential mounts look fairly worn, but I don't think that would be related to this sound and when it occurs.
Old 04-05-15, 02:12 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

It would appear to have been a combination of two things, which added up to make it tough to locate the source. First is something in the stock suspension having a bit of a squishy sound. Second is what was the more concerning part... When I rolled the fenders for 17x9 +24 rear wheels, I took the plastic liner off but didn't remove the plastic clip-in screw fasteners. I noticed I was getting some rubbing still on the sidewalls, so I removed the fasteners and rolled the fenders a bit more. Most of the noise is gone now, leaving me with just what appears to be the natural suspension noise.