Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help in identifying aftermarket master cylinder/brake booster (pics incl)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 04:43 PM
Finsun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help in identifying aftermarket master cylinder/brake booster (pics incl)

This was installed when I bought my 98 GS300.
The previous owner installed a new master cylinder/brake booster, which does not look like the stock one. None of the electrical wired plugs are plugged in (as can be seen in the pictures) and it doesn't seem that there are any available electrical receiving plug-ins on the master cyl/brake booster unit.

Anyone know what type of aftermarket or replacement master cylinder/brake booster was installed?
Is it ok that there are no plug ins as compared to how it was on the stock unit?

Need help in identifying aftermarket master cylinder/brake booster (pics incl)-ghm6mu0.jpg

Need help in identifying aftermarket master cylinder/brake booster (pics incl)-2lvcdud.jpg
Old 02-20-15, 04:46 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock unit is electric and has the ABS built within it, hence plugs and wires. That set up you have is simpler and if it works well, is potentially better then the OEM system. As if you get any faults, you're not going to be spending much to repair it, unlike those with the OEM unit. It would be interesting to know what parts the person before you used?

Last edited by RichS11; 02-20-15 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 04:47 PM
RichS11
Intermediate

Google Lexus GS brake master cylinder and you'll see the difference.

Are you getting any ABS or TCS lights on your dash?
Old 02-20-15, 09:42 PM
Finsun
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichS11
Are you getting any ABS or TCS lights on your dash?
Yes, that's correct.
So I guess ABS and VSC don't work?

Also, I plan to do a LS400 front caliper/rotors/pads upgrade (possibly with GS ss brake lines)
Would this replacement master cylinder be adequate for the bigger brake upgrade?
Old 02-21-15, 04:11 AM
RichS11
Intermediate

ABS - No I doubt you have that now as the ABS is a separate unit which Lexus stuck together in their brake master cylinder. I'd say with the plugs unplugged and the ABS light on, that the ABS was removed in the process.

Have you tried braking hard to see how the car reacts? Obviously try this somewhere quiet without other road users.

TCS - I don't know this system sadly, if it's connected to the master cylinder in anyway I'd say that's been removed too, but you'd have to look into that. Hopefully someone else can help you out further.

This is a link to the ABS delete and master cylinder change that somebody else done a while back....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/622165-diy-remove-stock-abs-vsc-master-cylinder-install-power-brake-booster-and-master.html

Hope that helps.