Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC300 Body Roll?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 08:25 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Body Roll?

Well after 2 days of owning my sc300, im LOVING it. However, I experience a pretty good amount of body roll. Was wondering if anyone upgraded their suspension besides springs/struts. Good recomendations would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-03, 08:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

recommend doing a search.

there's plenty of topics on this in the "suspention" forum thread at the top.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-16-03 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-16-03, 08:46 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: SC300 Body Roll?

Originally posted by hemogoblin
Well after 2 days of owning my sc300, im LOVING it. However, I experience a pretty good amount of body roll. Was wondering if anyone upgraded their suspension besides springs/struts. Good recomendations would be appreciated.
I recommend the Daizen sway bars and bushings from Todd at TM Engineeing.net

the difference is amazing and well worth the price
Old 03-16-03, 10:50 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make it easy

SupraTT sway bars

SupraTT eibachs, SupraTT Tokico 5-ways... no more bodyroll and the car will handle like mad crazy... the only limit then will be your tires
Old 03-16-03, 10:50 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I agree, Daizen sways and bushings will fix the roll. Lowering the car will help minimally in comparison.

MW
Old 03-16-03, 11:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I had a 9c1 police interceptor a few years back. by searching the impala webrings i found out the bushings that support the body made a huge difference in the cars "Feel" and handling. Every since then i have changed all my cars body support bushings out.
Old 03-16-03, 11:43 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

onelasttry,

I changed those bushings, and put sway bars, etc on my Impala SS. It was funny to try and make a WHALE handle like a hummingbird.

MW
Old 03-17-03, 11:28 AM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

Just imagine upgrading a RX7
Old 03-17-03, 06:03 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by pcmw
I agree, Daizen sways and bushings will fix the roll. Lowering the car will help minimally in comparison.

MW
putting STIFFER springs on a car has a MUCH more pronounced effect on body roll than swaybars... lowering the car will have its own effect, but its the STIFFNESS of the springs that makes the BIGGEST difference...

i've seen this difference on countless cars with high mileage and old suspension... which causes sway... my old 85 300zx rolled like a **** and then i sold it and the guy put springs and shocks on it; and it handled very well...
Old 03-17-03, 09:51 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Bean,

Not to be argumentative but I differ in my opinion. Sway can be controlled by sway bars. By agressively transfering spring compression laterally accross the car you will maintain a decent ride and help the handling. I installed Supra Sways on the SC with stock 10year old springs and it did great. Enormous improvement. I then installed all types of suspensions on other member's cars locally and feel that the sway bars are a better addition for pure handling. I do have springs now, I also am ditching the supra sway bars in favor of the Daizens for more balanced control.

MW
Old 03-18-03, 12:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Dimcorner
Just imagine upgrading a RX7
Imagine upgrading a RX8

IMO, doing sways AND coilovers is the RIGHT WAY. If you're interested in handling, do it right. I can't say which one makes more difference as I had the sways before the coilovers but I can tell you that the SC handles AMAZINGLY, even bone stock...now, with Daizen Sways and the JIC SF-1 coilovers, my SC will be able to outhandle my GS430 easily (and my GS430 has practically every suspension mod that's commerically available...)
Old 03-18-03, 03:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Bean,

Not to be argumentative but I differ in my opinion. Sway can be controlled by sway bars. By agressively transfering spring compression laterally accross the car you will maintain a decent ride and help the handling. I installed Supra Sways on the SC with stock 10year old springs and it did great. Enormous improvement. I then installed all types of suspensions on other member's cars locally and feel that the sway bars are a better addition for pure handling. I do have springs now, I also am ditching the supra sway bars in favor of the Daizens for more balanced control.

MW
Well I put SupraTT swaybars on my car with its stock 7 year old springs and 135k miles and it didn't do much at all; maybe your swaybar bushings were really worn out?

swaybars should be one of the last things you install as "pure handling" because you don't want the car to be TOO stiff... if its too stiff like the S2000, then the handle will suck, like the S2000.... a perfect example of maintaining a tad bit of roll is the miata... its stiffer than the S2k but still outhandles it with ease

trust me on this... there's me talking; and then like 10 others that i know very well and see auto-x all the time who place VERY high in their regional auto-x classes.... springs do more for body roll than sway bars do

Last edited by Bean; 03-18-03 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 03:40 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

I think the springs will make more difference (at least from my autoX experience) than the swaybar alone. When i added a swaybar to the RX7 i didn' t notice a thing. :\
Old 03-18-03, 04:09 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

onelasttry,

I changed those bushings, and put sway bars, etc on my Impala SS. It was funny to try and make a WHALE handle like a hummingbird.

MW
Feelin'ya, did it once with a JGC 5.2, Hotchkis, O.Z. Magnesiums, worked Magnum motor, the whole bit, still wasn't exactly a JGTC car , but it did surprise the ***** out of few skeptics, and hauled groceries like a raped date baby....
Attached Thumbnails SC300 Body Roll?-compressed-jgc.jpg  
Old 03-21-03, 02:53 AM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

lowering the car helps no doubt, but from my Experience I agree with Matt, now maybe we just have had different experiences!! I'm for sure no the law!

but on my Maxima slammed and w/o a sway bar= body roll!

on the Lex, sway bars meant drastically reduced body roll!!

Quick Reply: SC300 Body Roll?