Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-03 | 03:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by jbbnet
i just may...... been there once and loved it. (newport beach)
oh man, that's super rich area, of course it's nice
Old 09-14-03 | 08:19 PM
LexFather

More BRAKES are coming....StopTech and Rotara...
Old 09-14-03 | 08:21 PM
Neo
The One

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
More BRAKES are coming....StopTech and Rotara...
Huh? You are getting StopTech AND Rotora?
Old 09-14-03 | 08:29 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Here is my Rotora 13" setup...
Attached Thumbnails Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)-ken-s-car-067.jpg  
Old 09-15-03 | 07:57 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Manaray you have weights on the stoptech system? im very impressed with the willwood being so lightweight and i think that would be the biggest influence when buying a big brake kit like this, with semi-track pads i dont think you will ever experiance fade with brakes like this, even on the track.

However, i like the stoptech's because of the option for 4 wheel calipers, i haven't looked into it too much but if it is available on the GS like the IS i think it would be best.. i have heard that if you only improve the front brakes on an MR2 your braking will actually get worse. Not sure how/if this is possible, but as dennis said balance is key and without rear upgrade upgrading the front would not yeild the gains they should...
Old 09-21-03 | 08:39 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Default Stop Tech Big Brake x 4

Stop Tech 4 corner big brake upgrade -- grand debut was today at the Norcal meet in San Jose. Courtesy of PLP.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 04-18-08 at 06:21 AM. Reason: fixed images
Old 09-21-03 | 08:44 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Wow, beautiful Red! Did you swap out other upgraded brakes for those? I guess you have to be careful sizing your rear wheel offset and disk fittment as well with the 4 pots in the back, huh?

Old 09-21-03 | 08:50 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Wow, beautiful Red! Did you swap out other upgraded brakes for those? I guess you have to be careful sizing your rear wheel offset and disk fittment as well with the 4 pots in the back, huh?

Thanks. Before this I was stock and tired of the rusty rotors and brown calipers. I jumped in on a 4 corner upgrade because you can't buy the fronts only and add the rears later. These particular Volks are high disk and have tons of clearance, even with the Stop Techs.
Old 09-21-03 | 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by redgs4
Thanks. Before this I was stock and tired of the rusty rotors and brown calipers. I jumped in on a 4 corner upgrade because you can't buy the fronts only and add the rears later. These particular Volks are high disk and have tons of clearance, even with the Stop Techs.
actually i talked to RMMGS4 the other day about your brakes and we wonder a lot about the brakes. can you get info on the piston size of the two calipers? i mean, both are 4 pots and both rotors are 14". if the piston sizes are also the same, that only means that the braking power in the rear is way more than in the front, so the ratio is off compared to stock?
Old 09-21-03 | 10:37 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
actually i talked to RMMGS4 the other day about your brakes and we wonder a lot about the brakes. can you get info on the piston size of the two calipers? i mean, both are 4 pots and both rotors are 14". if the piston sizes are also the same, that only means that the braking power in the rear is way more than in the front, so the ratio is off compared to stock?
Take a look at an earlier post on this thread from IS Pilot. The one with the Stop Tech diagram.
Old 09-23-03 | 04:34 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

RedGS4 - Yeah...those don't exactly suck....
Old 09-23-03 | 01:26 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Manaray
RedGS4 - Yeah...those don't exactly suck....
And from Manaray, high praise indeed!
Old 09-23-03 | 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

confused, you mean the post where mike talked bout brake balance? i understand that, but i also know that the front does a lot more braking than the rear, usually like 80%+?
Old 09-23-03 | 06:52 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
confused, you mean the post where mike talked bout brake balance? i understand that, but i also know that the front does a lot more braking than the rear, usually like 80%+?
According to the Stop Tech site, the piston size can be varied betweent the front and rear to maintain proper bias. So while the rear brakes externally look equal in size [caliper & rotor] the pistons size is different. But I did not get a chance to compare front and rear calipers prior to install so I can't confirm.
Old 09-23-03 | 08:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally posted by redgs4
According to the Stop Tech site, the piston size can be varied betweent the front and rear to maintain proper bias. So while the rear brakes externally look equal in size [caliper & rotor] the pistons size is different. But I did not get a chance to compare front and rear calipers prior to install so I can't confirm.
yeah that's what glen and i are suspecting too, we believe the caliper sizes are the smae but the pistons aren't. it would be great if IS_PILOT can chirp in

Quick Reply: Let me see those brakes!!! (tons of pics, the BRAKE thread)