Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

supra brakes numbers

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-03, 09:19 AM
heavy wate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supra brakes numbers

many people that installed the supra brakes concluded that it was the best upgrade they had done. i wanted to upgrade the brakes, but after seeing some braking numbers it made me wonder. the stopping distance for a sc400 1997 was 116 feet, and for a supra twin turbo 1997 the braking distance was 112 feet, i got all these numbers from edmunds it doesnt mention form what speed the car is braking from, so i assuming its from 60-0. and considering that the sc weights 200 pounds more than the supra, i thought the braking improvement would be better once the brakes were upgraded. dont get me wrong i dont want to bash on the supra brakes, i just hope the numbers on edmunds are wrong. or can it be that the brakes on the 1997 sc were upgraded from the 1991-1996. the reason i choose 1997 was because they didnt have the numbers for the other (1991-1996) years.
Old 04-14-03, 02:18 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: supra brakes numbers

Originally posted by heavy wate
many people that installed the supra brakes concluded that it was the best upgrade they had done. i wanted to upgrade the brakes, but after seeing some braking numbers it made me wonder. the stopping distance for a sc400 1997 was 116 feet, and for a supra twin turbo 1997 the braking distance was 112 feet, i got all these numbers from edmunds it doesnt mention form what speed the car is braking from, so i assuming its from 60-0. and considering that the sc weights 200 pounds more than the supra, i thought the braking improvement would be better once the brakes were upgraded. dont get me wrong i dont want to bash on the supra brakes, i just hope the numbers on edmunds are wrong. or can it be that the brakes on the 1997 sc were upgraded from the 1991-1996. the reason i choose 1997 was because they didnt have the numbers for the other (1991-1996) years.

edmunds is just wrong =P your can't can't stop within 5feet of a supra with smaller brakes and 200+lbs

if you go look at edmunds and check the 98-00 they are all around 125-130feet which is more accurate.
I find little errors on these sites all the time.

supras can stop around 112 -114 feet though so you should be able to get to a stop almost 8-10feet sooner(you might need better than stock brake pads) but even 8 feet is pretty good imo.
Old 04-16-03, 01:28 PM
TomWahjudi
Driver

Default Not just Distance

But also repeatability. How many times can you stop at full braking in a given period of time ? 100 stops in a time period of 20 hours are easy, but 100 stops in 20 minutes is a different story. Granted that you can stop after about the first 10 - 15 repeated stops back to back.

The numbers might be only 10-15 ft apart, but that's what dictates whether you hit that little boy on a bike or not. In any rate, the stopping distance is governed by laws of physics, given equal coefficient of friction of the tires and the brakes are actually able to lock up the wheels, the heavier object will take longer distance to stop. So, if in current conditions you can lock up the wheels or cause the ABS to engage, then there is no point of going to Supra TT brakes. You have marginal tires, period. Now, if you have sticky, wide and fat summer tires and your stock brakes can't cause the ABS to engage, then you have all the reasons to find bigger brakes and you need to ask yourself why you have these expensive max performance tires with puny brakes

In any rate, I have been asking myself this question, if a Supra TT with a few hundred pounds less weight uses this size of brakes, why do we (with heavier cars) use Supra TT brakes ? Aren't we supposed to bolt on even bigger ones ? Maybe tapered 6 piston calipers with 14" rotors ? I guess price is the factor, right ?
Old 04-16-03, 04:30 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The feel of non-slider,four piston calipers is very nice also.
Too bad for me the TT setup won't clear my 17" Borbet wheels.
I've come up with a solution that involves using a larger,late model LS rotor,and making a custom braket to move the existing caliper out 1/2" to match the larger rotor.This should be fine for the street,and won't cost any more since the swap will replace worn out rotors.
Old 04-17-03, 05:54 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Not just Distance

Originally posted by TomWahjudi
In any rate, I have been asking myself this question, if a Supra TT with a few hundred pounds less weight uses this size of brakes, why do we (with heavier cars) use Supra TT brakes ? Aren't we supposed to bolt on even bigger ones ?
Supra TT brakes ARE bigger than the SC stock brakes, thats why people install them. Plus they are common (easy to find) and cheap (er) compared to aftermarket upgrades.
Old 05-07-03, 10:33 AM
93LexMojo
Rookie

Dude trust me, Supra brakes are no joke. Some of the best brakes ever put on a car. With the Supra TT brake upgrade your SC300 will definitely have more stopping power. I plan to put TT brakes on my 300 as well. But hey I am bias, look at my sig ;- )
Old 05-07-03, 11:25 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Most of my friends with lexus cars have done the conversion i have it on my sc300 front and rear car stops great on my friends gs300 panic stops you will eat the dash so this is a good upgrade.

Last edited by Dew23; 05-07-03 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 11:55 AM
Lvangundy

That was a good run-on sentence..

Were you trying to say;

A) Your friend AND you have the supra brakes...
B) Your friend's GS doesn't have them and when he brakes he hits his head on the dash...
C) You have them on your SC and because of this your friend's GS stops hard too..
D) Your friends GS has them and when he brakes he hits his head on the dash. You also have them and you hit your head on your dash when you brake...

?

Last edited by Lvangundy; 05-07-03 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-07-03, 01:46 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think what he meant to say was

Most of his friends with lexus cars have done the conversion
he has the supra TT brake converson on his SC300 fron and rear and it stops great
his friend's gs300 has supra TT brake conversion done. When he panic stops he hits his head on the dashboard because the brakes are so good

I have Front only supra TT brake upgrades on my SC400 and it stops like i dropped an anchor off the back of the car.
Old 05-07-03, 01:54 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Thanks that what i mean't to say .
Old 05-26-03, 02:10 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

ok this is it, im going to ask since every other post about supra upgrade talks about calipers this calipers that, but nothing concrete about the rotors. Do tt supra front rotors fit the sc with stock calipers?? do you need the actual tt rotors if you upgrade to the tt calipers or can you just use the stock rotors with the tt calipers?? there, ahhh relief..
Old 05-26-03, 04:14 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Yes you need calipers and rotors it bolts up you will have to cut off the backing plate on the stock brakes for them to fit .
Old 05-26-03, 06:10 PM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Stopping with tt brakes compared to stock brakes is like night and day. Takes a little getting used to at first. But once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever stooed with out them. I'm sure everyone who has done the upgrade will agree. Especially those taht have gone turbo.