Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-03, 08:59 PM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Brembo makes OEM sized:
regular rotors
cross drilled rotors
slotted rotors
Big brake kits.
This is exactly what the guy at the shop told me. From these choices what would you pick? What color do they come in, i've seen some that look goldish and some that look more silver. I like the cross drilled rotors the best. But if this is true how come the picture above from dex are cross drilled and slotted?
Old 03-27-03, 09:08 PM
LexFather

Well here is from my car. Front are cross-drilled ONLY Powerstop. Rears are from the Steve Ganz group buy crossed and slotted. My fronts CAME with that gold color but as soon as the brake pad touches the rotor it wiped it off and it looks like stainless steel. The rears look more silver. But you really can't tell the difference.
I like cross drilled as well and that is with what I went initally. When I could get slotted/drilled, I jumped on it. The slots and holes are to keep temperatures down to minimize brake fade. They do weaken the rotor but the rotors are well built enough to prevent any cracking.
Please clarify this for me. Does Brembo actually make the slotted and/or cross-drilled OEM size rotors or just the blank rotors and the shop did the work themselves? The reason I'm asking is that I know some shops that sell blank Brembo rotors and they do whatever their customer want to do whether it's cross-drilled, slotted or dimple
Before it was blank but I want to say VERY , VERY recently they (Brembo)started selling drilled and slotted due to high customer demand.
Old 03-28-03, 02:04 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was once talking to a brake parts vendor and they told me that most rotors (Powerstop? iRotor?) are using Brembo and Bradi blanks and then postprocess them, like adding coating, x-drilling, adding grooves.
Old 03-28-03, 07:39 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HKGS300
I was once talking to a brake parts vendor and they told me that most rotors (Powerstop? iRotor?) are using Brembo and Bradi blanks and then postprocess them, like adding coating, x-drilling, adding grooves.
I heard that too about Power-slot. But I couldn't remember whether it's Brembo uses Power-slot or Power-slot uses Brembo. Probably the first one. HKGS300, thanks for your info.
Old 03-30-03, 08:58 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ice,

Little bro take some pics when you get your GS done with the Brembo stock replacement setup.. Call me when you get done and i'll come by and take it for a spin.. I checked with another supplier and the Brembo cad plating is goldish in colour..

Talk to you soon!

Ken
Old 03-31-03, 10:28 AM
IcePlatinum
Rookie

About the goldish colour, I have heard that after time the rotors goldish colour will disappear. One of my friends has AEM rotors on his honda accord and they were the goldish colour and said that they look like silver now. Just wondering if anybody who has these brembo rotors have experienced this.
Old 03-31-03, 12:15 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by IcePlatinum
About the goldish colour, I have heard that after time the rotors goldish colour will disappear. One of my friends has AEM rotors on his honda accord and they were the goldish colour and said that they look like silver now. Just wondering if anybody who has these brembo rotors have experienced this.
isicklex addressed that issue just above, saying his came gold and went to silver. i've heard a lot of other people here say the exact same thing, gold to silver in a short period of break-in