Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Questions - Installing new springs on a 115k mile 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-15, 07:31 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions - Installing new springs on a 115k mile 350

So I'm gonna be switching out my OEM springs for Swift springs and had some questions.

My car has 115k miles on stock (as far as I know) shocks. They feel great to me, but I'm coming from a 93 camry and a 98 corolla, both with beyond shot shocks - so I have no idea if they feel worn our or not. haha

While I have them apart, should I replace them with new ones? Or do they hold up well over time? If it isn't worth replacing them, is there any maintenaince I can do to them while they're off the car? Like maybe bushings or something?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 06-25-15, 11:19 AM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I came from a 98 Honda Accord. The shocks on that feels like in good shape. Same goes for the Lexus. Best way to test your shocks is to bounce on it. If its really really bouncing alot with your pressure then its likely a blown shock. If it doesnt bounce much then its still okay. Check for leaks or anything. For bad shocks usually feels more harsh and body bashing through typical dips and bumps. Like it doesn't absorb much impact and nails u to all road conditions lol.
Old 06-26-15, 03:22 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always had the understanding that they should be replaced every 100 k miles. Although your local mechanic will say 50 k miles.

They're inspected at every service and I believe them to be in good standing as long as they preform properly. If they behave as they should, there's no need to have them replaced. If you're waiting for them to fail that is...

Personally I've been a fan of preventative maintenance. I intend to move to coils (as I've had on my previous vehicle) when I reach 100 k miles.

That's my opinion though. I'd like to see when that member who's gone 200 k miles had changed them if at all. . .
Old 06-27-15, 08:11 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brauski
So I'm gonna be switching out my OEM springs for Swift springs and had some questions.

My car has 115k miles on stock (as far as I know) shocks. They feel great to me, but I'm coming from a 93 camry and a 98 corolla, both with beyond shot shocks - so I have no idea if they feel worn our or not. haha

While I have them apart, should I replace them with new ones? Or do they hold up well over time? If it isn't worth replacing them, is there any maintenaince I can do to them while they're off the car? Like maybe bushings or something?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Stiffer springs like swift will cause premature wear of oem struts. It is best to replace now (especially at 115k miles) than later with something like koni yellows. Expect the ride to be stiffer, but your handling will be dramatically improved overall.
Old 06-27-15, 08:16 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, I'll change them. I really like the stock ride as I live in Orlando and have to do alot of slow commuting on ****ty roads.

The ideal shock for me would be just barely stiffer than stock. Any recommendations?
Old 06-29-15, 10:04 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brauski
Awesome, I'll change them. I really like the stock ride as I live in Orlando and have to do alot of slow commuting on ****ty roads.

The ideal shock for me would be just barely stiffer than stock. Any recommendations?
Technically, stiffness is dependent upon the spring rate of the spring, not by the strut. Struts dampen/control the amount of rebound resulting from spring oscillation. Koni Yellows provide adjustable dampening and are of high quality. With the adjustability they provide, you can have an almost oem-like ride with consistent performance unlike the cheaper brands out there (KYB, Tokiko, etc). I highly recommend 'springing' for a set.
Old 06-29-15, 12:15 PM
brauski
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
Technically, stiffness is dependent upon the spring rate of the spring, not by the strut. Struts dampen/control the amount of rebound resulting from spring oscillation. Koni Yellows provide adjustable dampening and are of high quality. With the adjustability they provide, you can have an almost oem-like ride with consistent performance unlike the cheaper brands out there (KYB, Tokiko, etc). I highly recommend 'springing' for a set.

I was looking at the Konis, but after a bunch of research, the F-sports seemed to be the closest to stock, at least with maintaining comfort. Found a set for a good price, so I jumped on them. Also, no setup or adjusting is a bonus (besides the obvious alignment...).
Old 06-29-15, 01:38 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO replace them, the biggest pain is the labour.

I put in H&R springs and it didn't take long before the stock shocks started to go. Ended up just putting in Megan EZ street coilovers instead.