Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

StopTech Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-15, 12:51 AM
vscout
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default StopTech Rotors

I've been searching the forum since my rotors and pads need to be replaced soon. Based on what I've read, StopTech rotors and Akebono pads seem like a good route to go. When I went on StopTech's website and entered my vehicle info (2012 IS350), I could only locate slotted front rotors but then the rears had more options (slotted, drilled, slotted/drilled combo). I did see that slotted/drilled models exist but they mention compatibility with the Canada model. Does anyone know of compatible StopTech drilled or slotted/drilled rotors all around? Also, would it matter if the front had slotted rotors and the rear had slotted/drilled?
Old 07-03-15, 04:42 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've looked at a few aftermarket parts sites for StopTech rotors and it's as you pointed out it's only slotted in the front.

Which if you were looking for "performance" rotors, those would be the best option over any drilled rotor.

Engineering Explanation:
This is because of the holes from the drilling that produce stress concentrations throughout the rotor and inherently weakens the rotor. Additionally, the heat transfer that occurs on a drilled and or slotted rotor will be less than a blank and that is due a smaller surface area and the equation for heat transfer directly calls for area as the amount of heat transfer is directly proportional to the area.

For your second question, an old buddy of mine when he used to have a S2000 had blank rotors in the front and drilled and slotted rotors in the rear.
Old 07-03-15, 07:43 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just from an esthetics point of view, if you go slotted only in the front, don't go slotted and drilled in the rear.
Old 07-03-15, 11:18 AM
737NG
Driver

Check out the vendor market place forum and look up B2 Designs. you can message Charles and he can hook you up with which ever design you desire. I've ordered from them twice and have nothing but, good things to say!

Try this link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ake-lines.html
Old 07-03-15, 12:14 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

2009-2012 Canada spec is the same as 2006-2008 USA spec, and can be used on any RWD IS350 model, but not any AWD model.

Jeff
Old 07-07-15, 12:22 AM
vscout
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knguyenk
I've looked at a few aftermarket parts sites for StopTech rotors and it's as you pointed out it's only slotted in the front.

Which if you were looking for "performance" rotors, those would be the best option over any drilled rotor.

Engineering Explanation:
This is because of the holes from the drilling that produce stress concentrations throughout the rotor and inherently weakens the rotor. Additionally, the heat transfer that occurs on a drilled and or slotted rotor will be less than a blank and that is due a smaller surface area and the equation for heat transfer directly calls for area as the amount of heat transfer is directly proportional to the area.

For your second question, an old buddy of mine when he used to have a S2000 had blank rotors in the front and drilled and slotted rotors in the rear.
Thanks for the information! Looks like slotted will be the way to go then.
Old 07-07-15, 12:24 AM
vscout
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
2009-2012 Canada spec is the same as 2006-2008 USA spec, and can be used on any RWD IS350 model, but not any AWD model.

Jeff
Just my luck that I have an AWD. I shall continue my rotor search. Thanks for the information, Jeff.
Old 07-08-15, 02:12 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Call them up and get the part numbers; then you can search the web for the best price.
Old 07-15-15, 12:21 PM
Toretto
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Slotted looks better than drilled anyway as far as I am concerned. Had a set of slotted all around on my C5.

-Alex
Old 07-15-15, 12:50 PM
20LS01
Driver

I'd skip the slotted and rotors. No performance gains at all. Blanks are the best and my favorite are the centric premium rotors.
Are you sure you need to replace your rotors? Rotors last insanely long and if there is no vibrations when braking, i would highly recommend leaving it as is and just change the pads.
Old 07-15-15, 01:54 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

^Bet that's why alot of manufacturers (Porsche for example) come stock with drilled rotors.
Old 07-17-15, 10:15 PM
20LS01
Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Bet that's why alot of manufacturers (Porsche for example) come stock with drilled rotors.
It's for looks.

Here is a good read for you:
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-de...otted-1437513/

Last edited by 20LS01; 07-17-15 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-18-15, 11:23 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found a lot of conjecture on drilled/slotted/blank. Not a lot of consensus.
From here
From Stoptech:

Quote:
Which is better, slotted or drilled rotors?

StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.

That almost sounds like an excuse to use cross drilled rotors, and for your street car which probably is never driven on the track, the drilled rotors are fine, but as Stoptech states, they will crack and are not good for severe applications.

From Baer:

Quote:
"What are the benefits to Crossdrilling, Slotting, and Zinc-Washing my rotors?

In years past, crossdrilling and/or Slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads...However, with today’s race pad technology, ‘outgassing’ is no longer much of a concern...Slotted surfaces are what Baer recommends for track only use. Slotted only rotors are offered as an option for any of Baer’s offerings."

Then from Grassroots Motorsports:

Quote:
"Crossdrilling your rotors might look neat, but what is it really doing for you? Well, unless your car is using brake pads from the '40s and 50s, not a whole lot. Rotors were first drilled because early brake pad materials gave off gasses when heated to racing temperatures, a process known as "gassing out." ...It was an effective solution, but today's friction materials do not exhibit the some gassing out phenomenon as the early pads. Contrary to popular belief, they don't lower temperatures. (In fact, by removing weight from the rotor, they can actually cause temperatures to increase a little.) These holes create stress risers that allow the rotor to crack sooner, and make a mess of brake pads--sort of like a cheese grater rubbing against them at every stop. Want more evidence? Look at NASCAR or F1. You would think that if drilling holes in the rotor was the hot ticket, these teams would be doing it...Slotting rotors, on the other hand, might be a consideration if your sanctioning body allows for it. Cutting thin slots across the face of the rotor can actually help to clean the face of the brake pads over time, helping to reduce the glazing often found during high-speed use which can lower the coefficient of friction. While there may still be a small concern over creating stress risers in the face of the rotor, if the slots are shallow and cut properly, the trade-off appears to be worth the risk. (Have you looked at a NASCAR rotor lately?)
Note that this is from 2006
The following is from Wilwood

Q: What's the difference between slotted and drilled/slotted rotors? Which rotor will be best for my application?

A: PSlots or grooves in rotor faces are partly a carryover from the days of asbestos pads. Asbestos and other organic pads were prone to “glazing” and the slots tended to help “scrape or de-glaze” them. Also, cross-drilling and/or slotting the rotor for racing purposes was beneficial by providing a way to expel the gasses created when the bonding agents employed to manufacture the pads began to break down at extreme temperatures. This condition is often referred to as “outgassing.” When it does occur, the driver still has a good firm brake pedal, but a significant reduction in friction. Normally this only happens at temperatures witnessed in racing. However, with today’s race pad technology, “outgassing” is no longer a concern with pads designed for racing.

So in the final analysis, drilling and slotting rotors has become popular in street applications for their pure aesthetic value. Wilwood provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications, slotted is the preferred choice. With certain pad material, slotting can help wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the coefficient of friction between the rotor and the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage; however, for street and occasional light duty track use, they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.
From that first link, if you read a number of posts, you'll see things like "Porsche casts the rotors with the hole in place". Note my quote is a summary not a direct quote.
Then you find someone posting this link where they are offering money to prove anyone casts rotors with holes in them.

In short, unless you are doing a lot of track, quality cross drilled rotors probably won't crack. But it does sound like cross drilled are more for esthetics than for performance. Doesn't sound like good pads outgas anymore. Maybe some benefit to slots/cross drilled wiping away debris.