Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

3is RR-Racing USRS Bushings Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 06:38 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 3is RR-Racing USRS Bushings Review

Hey all, after hearing good things about the USRS on the ISF side of the forums, I decided that I would take the plunge and install them on my 3is.

I already thought the 3is was a very good handling car, even more so after I installed the RSR Down springs.
Now coupled with these USRS bushings, it has completely transformed the car yet again.

Aug. 31, 2015 Updated Review (1+Week) Review:
So my everyday commute which is about 15+ miles (1 way) has been exceptionally fun and entertaining the past week.
Every corner practically scares my passengers now because of how fast and effortless I turn my steering wheel.
*Now keep in mind I don't track the car, so by no means am I extracting 100% of the bushing's capabilities, but nonetheless, the improvements are definitely very apparent.

In order of the most noticeable effects:
  1. Braking Feel
  2. Cornering Approach/Under-steer
  3. Body-Roll
  4. Stiffness
  5. Noise

1) Braking

One of the first things you will notice after the install is how the braking feel has changed. By braking feel, I mean how you normally stop as you approach a stop light/car (distance), or need to mash your brake pedal for an emergency stop, or when you are about to approach a corner and are slowing down in preparedness to turn.

Although the stopping distance probably hasn't changed - you will definitely feel like you can stop faster and sooner.

This is due to the nose-dive and the feeling of all of the vehicle's weight moving forward as you press the brake, being virtually eliminated (this is very apparent even on my lowered vehicle where the nose-diving feel has already been greatly reduced). The car just feels a lot more leveled under any given braking situation. Hence, I tend to brake later and feel more confident in bumper to bumper traffic.

2) Cornering Approach/Under-steer
Before the bushing upgrade, each turn I took (granted I corner pretty fast) usually made me feel like the car was under-steering, and thus I usually had to approach sharp turns at differing angles to accommodate for it.
After the bushing upgrade, the turn in approach to each corner has now completely change, due to the feeling of the under-steer being greatly reduced.
Movement of the steering wheel is very turn and go feeling, if you thought you knew the limits of your car before the bushing upgrade, this will completely change that thought!

3) Body-Roll
However, not as apparent as the cornering feel, I feel the body roll of the car has been slightly affected by this upgrade. Maybe it's a side effect of the new confidence these bushings inspire, but the sharp turns I make seem like they result in less weight shift towards the side.
(Don't get me wrong, passengers will still be flying around in your car and will be crapping their pants for sure, but at the least, you will feel very confident as you take those sharp turns haha)

4) Stiffness
With the sportier feel of the car, comes the sportier stiffness that results. The stiffness is there. You will feel more things on the roads, however the increase isn't that much.
Full disclosure, my wife pointed out to me that she feels the car is a bit stiffer, and when I asked her if it feels like I increased the tire pressure, she said "yeah, exactly!"
So I don't think it's unbearable by any means. I actually enjoy that I get to feel more of where the tire/wheel is heading. This connected feeling is likely due to this added stiffer feel as well. So I see it more as a plus than a negative.

5) Noise
Last and least, is noise. The slight increase in stiffness will result in more things being heard as you hit potholes and imperfections in the road, but again this increase is minimal.
I'm not exactly sure whether I hear more noise vs. stiffness at this time however, so the 2 are definitely up for debate.

Aug. 22, 2015 Inital Review:

I received them last Friday and installed them on the following Saturday.

It has been raining all weekend, so I didn't get to test them thoroughly, but initial impressions are Wow!

I'd say the difference compared to stock is about 65 to 70% better.
Like others have mentioned the braking feel is pretty apparent. Even on my lowered suspensions where the nose diving was already very minimal - these seems to eliminate them completely and the stopping feel is very fast and engaging.
(Perfect mod for those tailgaters lol - not saying that I am one XD)

In sharp turns I usually have to correct my steering a bit from the soft bumpy bushings, but these are turn and go! I remember sliding and having to correct my wheel every time I come out from a fresh car wash and although my rear end slid again (like always) when coming out, the front stayed very planted and I didn't have to correct.

There is a good amount of noise from the stiffer bushings when hitting bumps and imperfections in the road you can hear thump... thump... thump... through the frame vs poof...poof....poof, but the vibrations aren't bad at all. I'd say I was expecting a much harsher and stiffer ride from the polyurethane bushings, but these only provide a small increase in vibration, which is very surprising for the handling and more connected feel of the road.

Over the next couple of days, hopefully I'll be able to test things more and provide an even more thorough review.
Stay tuned for a weekend update.

Pics Below:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unboxing - at the shop's counter, so don't mind the surroundings lol

Stock Bushings

Installation

So beefy, can even see them from outside!

Last edited by LexSense; 08-31-15 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Updated Review
Old 08-26-15, 12:11 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 274 Likes on 173 Posts

Very nice write up!!

RR-Racing are great guys with great products. I have them on my car and love them. Customers ask about them all the time!!

-Josh (jlee@modinjapan.com)
Old 08-26-15, 08:50 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds promising but I'm a little hesitant on extra harshness and vibration from doing this swap. I guess there is no free lunch when it come to improved performance vs. comfort....

how bad is the extra harshness and vibration tho? Does it actually feel jarring? The roads here are terrible!
Old 08-26-15, 03:46 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,387 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
Sounds promising but I'm a little hesitant on extra harshness and vibration from doing this swap. I guess there is no free lunch when it come to improved performance vs. comfort....

how bad is the extra harshness and vibration tho? Does it actually feel jarring? The roads here are terrible!

I want to thank LexSense for that great review. Regarding the "thump" noise, I am kind of surprised. We did all the development on the ISF, and many of our initial customers installed on the F, we are not hearing that. Maybe stock ISF bushing is harder so the transition and increases bump sounds are more apparent, but I really think that the improvement in steering feedback and response is well worth it.

Many car mags review the IS over the equivalent BMW, and complain of lack of steering feel in the Lexus -- the USRS is the solution, and in my opinion results in improved steering response compared to the bimmers.

-Rafi
Old 08-26-15, 07:13 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

The roads here are absolutely horrible (dips everywhere), the noise increase is probably more apparent because I'm on thinner tires and on 19's while being lowered on springs as well. But to be honest it's not that much of an increase.

Sorry, let me also clarify the "harsher" ride and vibrations that I mentioned.
I was actually expecting the ride to be harsh and bone jarring giving how beefy these bushings are, but what I actually experience blew my mind in the sense that the harshness was practically non-existent.
Some have mentioned the equivalence of putting about 5 psi more in your tires - this would be the extent of that harshness I feel. It's actually a good feeling from the more connected and sporty feel of the road.

This is really how the car should have came!
Old 08-31-15, 09:40 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Originally Posted by LexSense
The roads here are absolutely horrible (dips everywhere), the noise increase is probably more apparent because I'm on thinner tires and on 19's while being lowered on springs as well. But to be honest it's not that much of an increase.

Sorry, let me also clarify the "harsher" ride and vibrations that I mentioned.
I was actually expecting the ride to be harsh and bone jarring giving how beefy these bushings are, but what I actually experience blew my mind in the sense that the harshness was practically non-existent.
Some have mentioned the equivalence of putting about 5 psi more in your tires - this would be the extent of that harshness I feel. It's actually a good feeling from the more connected and sporty feel of the road.

This is really how the car should have came!
Thanks for the clarifications! I'm definitely thinking about it now
Old 08-31-15, 09:43 AM
Sphinx007
Driver

Originally Posted by RRRacing
I want to thank LexSense for that great review. Regarding the "thump" noise, I am kind of surprised. We did all the development on the ISF, and many of our initial customers installed on the F, we are not hearing that. Maybe stock ISF bushing is harder so the transition and increases bump sounds are more apparent, but I really think that the improvement in steering feedback and response is well worth it.

Many car mags review the IS over the equivalent BMW, and complain of lack of steering feel in the Lexus -- the USRS is the solution, and in my opinion results in improved steering response compared to the bimmers.

-Rafi
Do you need to do a wheel alignment after installing this?
Old 08-31-15, 12:54 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sphinx007
Do you need to do a wheel alignment after installing this?

Generally speaking, you do not need an alignment. We have many customers who have checked alignment after installation and I do not know of anyone who has reported needing to adjust.

That said, if you have uneven tire wear or its been years since your last alignment, we recommend checking the alignment regardless if you install the USRS or not.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-01-15, 01:27 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If I wanted to go to a shop to have this installed, what am I looked at for time?

Thanks

I will probably order this in the middle of the month!
Old 09-01-15, 04:06 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB5674
If I wanted to go to a shop to have this installed, what am I looked at for time?

Thanks

A shop on the ball could get this done in less than 30 minutes really.
But it will vary how they price you out (be it flag/book rate) or just actual install time.

I'm hoping Rafi should be able to comment more on this however.
Old 09-01-15, 04:29 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Thanks

I think 1 hour total labor is reasonable, if you include getting the car on the lift, etc.

I recommend reading the instructions yourself before giving it to the mechanic. Make sure that he reads it, and doesn't just try to wing it. I include my personal cell phone number in the instructions, so they shouldn't hesitate to contact me with questions.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 09-02-15, 11:42 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Would you mind PM'ing me the directions. Im not allowed to work on cars where I live, yet I do have freinds in the area with a tq wrench and the necessities. If this is really a bolt on, I'd attempt to do with a buddy on a weekend.
Old 09-02-15, 04:10 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Would you mind PM'ing me the directions. Im not allowed to work on cars where I live, yet I do have freinds in the area with a tq wrench and the necessities. If this is really a bolt on, I'd attempt to do with a buddy on a weekend.
Rafi posted a copy of the instructions on the ISF forums, stand by while I search for it !
Or you could too lol.

Update: Here they are below. Note that they are ISF pics, but they should be very similar to the 3is
Originally Posted by RRRacing
Everything you need, other than basic tools, is provided. The bushing/housing/shaft/thrust washer come pre-assembled and pre-lubed, you do not need to do anything.

Installation is just like installing the stock bushing, except when you insert the USRS, you first torque it down lightly, then adjust the pre-load bolts on the side of the housing, and then you apply final torque spec on the bolts that attach the USRS to the subframe.

Removal & Installation step by step (no need to remove wheels, car can be on lift, jack stands, or ramps):

(1) Removal of the Original Equipment (OE) bushing. Using a 22mm & 17mm socket, remove the 2 bolts that attach the lower control arm (LCA) bushing housing to the sub-frame. Using a 14mm socket, remove the 4 bolts that attach the 2 sub-frame reinforcement brackets.

(2) Using a 22mm socket, remove the nut located at the end of the LCA spindle.

(3) Once the bushing/housing assembly is loose, it can be removed by using a pry bar to press down on the trailing end of the LCA as shown in the picture below. This will give enough clearance to slide the OE bushing/housing off of the LCA spindle.

(4) Slide the USRS onto the spindle. Install the brace, and loosely tighten all bolts to 10 ft-lbs of torque.

(5) The USRS has two pre-load adjustment bolts. Carefully and loosely tighten bolt pre-load bolts until they come to a stop.

(6) Apply an additional ¼ turn to each preload adjustment bolt.

(7) Check to make sure that you cannot easily insert the 0.020” feeler gauge between the thrust washer and the poly bushing. If the gauge can be inserted, apply an additional small incremental turn to the preload adjustment bolt.

(8) Apply the final torque to the USRS-to-subframe bolts and spindle nut, and you are done!

Last edited by LexSense; 09-02-15 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Install Instructions Quote
Old 09-03-15, 02:09 PM
IvVaum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the write up and recommendation. I saw the other thread and video from the manufacturer and after reading this first hand experience, I'm gonna order me a set!

Keep up the good work on all these reviews and write up. It is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-28-15, 07:02 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RR racing bushing

I installed these (88duro version) on my 3IS non-F sport. On stock 17 wheels with Michelin PSS and a thicker rear sway bar. In combination it turns the IS into a superbly poised handler.

The bushing did not increase noise, and was totally silent in operation. In ride comfort it felt like going from 17 to 19 inch front tire/wheels; minimal additional harshness unless the road surface are badly broken.

The steering now feels alert, precise, progressively weighted, with excellent balance and improved feedback. Stability through corners is much improved, as in stability in braking.

The thicker rear sway nudges the car's cornering balance from understeer to neutral working well in concert with the improvements in the steering.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade for anyone looking for a fast road car setup.

Quick Reply: 3is RR-Racing USRS Bushings Review