Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers for my GS300

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-15, 09:07 PM
ejamr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers for my GS300

Please forgive if a similar question has been posted but with over 200 pages, my search results have not produced the information I'm looking for.

I recently acquired a 2000 GS300 for a rebuild project with suspension being my first undertaking; the plan is to upgrade to a coilover system but my goal is to improve handling not slam the vehicle. A 20" wheel & tire package is planned in addition to replacement of bushings, tierods and control arms; I would love to pull a G on the skidpad while maintaining a decent level of ride comfort. Flat cornering with minimal brake dive is the objective so my research includes sway bars and possibly strut tower bracing... Also considering a 15" stoptech brake kit to complete my suspension upgrades.

There are many opinions on coilover systems and slamming the car but I have yet to read anyone discussing them for performance driving; would love to get guidance from other members who have a similar set up or mindset.

Thx

EJ
Old 10-21-15, 08:34 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't have much input on coilovers, but for performance driving I recommend a good set of sway bars & endlinks, a good spring shock combo and good set of lightweight 17 or 18 wheels and tires.
Old 10-21-15, 02:08 PM
ejamr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jadu
I don't have much input on coilovers, but for performance driving I recommend a good set of sway bars & endlinks, a good spring shock combo and good set of lightweight 17 or 18 wheels and tires.
Jadu, thanks for the input and I am curious why the suggestion of a 17 or 18 verses a 19 or 20? I am not certain the difference in weight of these size wheels will make that big of a difference; my driving style is more autocross verses drag strip, you know what I mean? I want to close the wheel well gap as much as possible without dropping the car to do so. Definitely looking into the components you suggested and will post which direction I go and results of the upgrades. Thanks again!
Old 10-22-15, 01:31 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder if you have any recommendations for sway bars and endlinks?
Old 10-22-15, 02:05 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ejamr
Jadu, thanks for the input and I am curious why the suggestion of a 17 or 18 verses a 19 or 20? I am not certain the difference in weight of these size wheels will make that big of a difference; my driving style is more autocross verses drag strip, you know what I mean? I want to close the wheel well gap as much as possible without dropping the car to do so. Definitely looking into the components you suggested and will post which direction I go and results of the upgrades. Thanks again!
Don't get me wrong, you may autocross with 19s or 20s, however if you really want to pull some G's and run competitively you'll want a light weight set. I don't remember off the top of my head but there's a lot of physics involved with rotational wheel mass, sidewall/width tire sizes, and a 5 lb difference per wheel between a 17" or 18" wheel vs a 19" or 20" is a lot. What it comes down to is money, which is a few thousand dollar difference in price. A lightweight set of 20s will run $4-5K while 17s or 18s are much cheaper. I'm not one to autox on 4-5K set of wheels and another $1K of tires, but that's just me

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
I wonder if you have any recommendations for sway bars and endlinks?
TRD, Daizen, Whiteline, FIGS, Cusco come to mind. I'm not sure availability for the 2GS but I'm sure others can chime in.

Last edited by jadu; 10-22-15 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 04:32 PM
ejamr
Driver School Candidate

Don't get me wrong, you may autocross with 19s or 20s, however if you really want to pull some G's and run competitively you'll want a light weight set. I don't remember off the top of my head but there's a lot of physics involved with rotational wheel mass, sidewall/width tire sizes, and a 5 lb difference per wheel between a 17" or 18" wheel vs a 19" or 20" is a lot. What it comes down to is money, which is a few thousand dollar difference in price. A lightweight set of 20s will run $4-5K while 17s or 18s are much cheaper. I'm not one to autox on 4-5K set of wheels and another $1K of tires, but that's just me

TRD, Daizen, Whiteline, FIGS, Cusco come to mind. I'm not sure availability for the 2GS but I'm sure others can chime in.
Great point of view on the weight of the wheels, one I previously had not considered when put in that perspective!

BayAreaLex, I am looking the Cusco, I know they produce strut tower bracing for my model year but can't recall if they offer swaybars. I have not considered TRD or the other companies at this point, my research has not lead me to them, do you have any experience you could share?