Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will I regret Megan EZ's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-15, 02:04 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Will I regret Megan EZ's?

Okay so hear me out. I basically have no clue as to how exactly lowering a car works. At first I thought all I needed were springs. Then I found out its just better to get coilovers instead for their adjustability and ride comfort. However , now that ive started looking into Coilovers (specifically the Megan EZ) Im getting all sorts of mixed information thats really confusing me.

Basically im trying to lower my car enough so that I have no more tire gap, maybe not slammed exactly but just enough so that there isnt such a huge space in between the tire and the fender.

Ive read that people are saying the Megan Ez's tend to rub a lot (which I assume is bad) and that they have to be dampened all the way stiff to compensate for that, thus wearing out a lot sooner... i think. My problem is that I dont wanna have to spend more money down the line to buy more coilovers because I made the wrong decision on what to purchase. But at the same time I hear people say they love them and that they ride great?? Im super confused on what to do right now..

I dont track my car, nor do I plan to. I just want a nice clean drop, wont rub, and last me a long time. Will megan ez get the job done? Or should I just get something else?
Old 11-21-15, 03:20 AM
tnoice
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If all you are looking to do is lower it a bit and not mess with adjustments, get a set of good springs and call it a day. I just installed the f-sport springs and they are great. They did exactly what you are looking for, they closed the fender gap up without compromising much of the ride.
Old 11-21-15, 07:35 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whether or not you rub is based on how low you set the coilovers coupled with the rolling diameter of your wheels/tires and offsets.

Personally, I wouldn't buy Megan EZs. They are pretty much the lower tier of coilovers. If you're trying to keep the same price point as the Megan EZs and aren't going to dump your car, a nice spring and strut combo will suit your needs. Koni Sport Kit is a very nice option or a spring like Eibach Pro, Swift, Fsport (fsport not enough drop IMHO) coupled with Koni yellow struts. Comfort is based on your strut, so its best to by a quality brand like koni or bilstein.
Old 11-21-15, 10:26 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a picture for a H&R spring on oem shock reference that I took last winter. I would personally get a better set of coilovers. Springs are cool but you will want to go lower at some point. Everyone says they don't care able adjusting and they prob mean it at the time... but the longer you are on here and the more meets you go to... it will eventually change and you'll be looking for another setup. Not to down talk owners with megan ez but usually the ones that say they don't have a prob with them haven't had any other sets on the same car. There are members here that have had them and others that will tell you to go a little higher up on quality.

I have zero complaints with these springs

Name:  20150128_073322.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  197.2 KB

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 11-21-15 at 10:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NexusD (08-05-19)
Old 11-21-15, 12:30 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started with H&R springs, they were fine but my shocks started to go not long after. I found it was easier and more cost effective to throw in Megan EZ street coilovers instead of replacing the shocks.

Once, I got them setup properly, I have no complaints. I have absolutely zero rubbing issues, small wheel gap and a nice ride. I had them set fairly soft until I got my lip kit on, then I had to firm them up a bit to avoid bottoming out on dips.

I would recommend Megan EZ street for the average user looking to go lower with some adjustability,

Old 11-21-15, 12:35 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Honestly the megan EZ streets and the street series are the exact same coilovers with one difference. You get 32 ways adjustment on the street series and only 15 on the ez street. That is the only difference.
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-21-15, 02:20 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Here is a picture for a H&R spring on oem shock reference that I took last winter. I would personally get a better set of coilovers. Springs are cool but you will want to go lower at some point. Everyone says they don't care able adjusting and they prob mean it at the time... but the longer you are on here and the more meets you go to... it will eventually change and you'll be looking for another setup.
Thats the thing though. The more fixed up IS's I see, the more I think that Coilovers are worth it over just springs and struts. I really want the ability to adjust when needed and be able to go even lower than what spings allow.
Old 11-21-15, 02:24 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by getafewliv
I started with H&R springs, they were fine but my shocks started to go not long after. I found it was easier and more cost effective to throw in Megan EZ street coilovers instead of replacing the shocks.

Once, I got them setup properly, I have no complaints. I have absolutely zero rubbing issues, small wheel gap and a nice ride. I had them set fairly soft until I got my lip kit on, then I had to firm them up a bit to avoid bottoming out on dips.

I would recommend Megan EZ street for the average user looking to go lower with some adjustability,

Yeah I dont wanna get springs and then have to replace my shocks anyways, especially not if I can get Coilovers for the same price. Im just not sure if Megan EZ is the way I should go (to save a little money) or some higher up brand. Im starting to really think that the BC's are the way to go so that way I can have a little more adjustability in the future. Im also having my gfx lip kit front and back installed next week and dont wanna risk breaking them with the car bottoming out on dips.
Old 11-21-15, 04:25 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

BC Racing features no additional advantages that any other daily driving coilover. I.E. Megan Racing, D2 Racing, K Sport etc.

The price point of $1k is to preserve brand name. As for quality, adjustability, longevity, and reliability, the above brands are all the same.

Some platforms swear by Megan and hate BC Racing. Others love D2 Racing and hate BC Racing. The comparisons go on and on.

FYI: I'm saying all this based on the fact that we sell all these brands and have been installing and using them for years.
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-21-15, 04:33 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JM Auto Racing
BC Racing features no additional advantages that any other daily driving coilover. I.E. Megan Racing, D2 Racing, K Sport etc.

The price point of $1k is to preserve brand name. As for quality, adjustability, longevity, and reliability, the above brands are all the same.

Some platforms swear by Megan and hate BC Racing. Others love D2 Racing and hate BC Racing. The comparisons go on and on.

FYI: I'm saying all this based on the fact that we sell all these brands and have been installing and using them for years.
So then what exactly is meant by 32 way adjustable vs 16 way? Or basically, what is the difference between EZ and LP Coils?
Old 11-21-15, 04:34 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't installed mine yet, but I bought some Koni FSD shocks which have really cool technology that allows increased ride comfort along WITH increased stiffness. It works with selective valving. TLDR, every review i have read raves about them. I paired them with Eibach Pro springs which lower the car about and inch to an inch and a half. I steered away from coilers for the exact reasons that your concerns were. and i have zero knowledge about suspension myself. I just did a lot of homework so to speak
Old 11-21-15, 04:40 PM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Those are your "micro" dampening adjustments.

Megan LP has 32 way adjustments meaning you have 32 different micro adjustments to make your ride softer or harder.

The EZ Streets have 15. BC have 30 and D2 have 36.
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-22-15, 02:29 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Softer and harder meaning how much suspension travel there is when going over a ramp, etc?
Old 11-22-15, 11:14 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Yes or on a non-smooth surface
1-855-998-8726
Old 11-23-15, 11:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Megan EZ owner... I have no complaints with mine. I am very grateful I have coilovers though as the adjustment has proven useful many times due to varying wheel fitment.

Quick Reply: Will I regret Megan EZ's?