Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I need help!!! loose steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15 | 02:25 PM
garaml7111
Driver School Candidate

Default I need help!!! loose steering

my IS250, I noticed steering wheel is loose all of sudden. I had this car for 3 years and it has less 20,000 miles on it.

the steering move by itself left to right when I'm driving un even, rough surface, little bumpy or wavy street.
but three dealer saying car is normal when car is not normal.
I contacted again to lexus customer service but just their/lexus dealer said it's normal they are not going to check my car!
I even went to private auto shop they said something wrong with wheel. it's too loose.
everyday I'm stressing out because of my car.
please does any one know how to fix it?
I'm very very disappointed about their customer service and poor product.
please help me!!

Old 08-12-24 | 06:41 AM
Sonnyboy4u
Driver School Candidate

Default Same here!

I have had the same problems since the day I bought the car. I have replaced literally everything you can replace on the car and it still does it. Dealer said there’s nothing wrong with it but the car shop down the street said there is something wrong. They just can’t figure it out either.
Old 08-14-24 | 01:40 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sonnyboy4u
I have had the same problems since the day I bought the car. I have replaced literally everything you can replace on the car and it still does it. Dealer said there’s nothing wrong with it but the car shop down the street said there is something wrong. They just can’t figure it out either.
Please define the meaning of everything and any prior repairs as well as your actual symptoms in detail. Maybe we can help.

If the dealer said it's fine, it could be that you just don't like how it drives. There is s fix for that. On a good highway without ruts, mine will drive a mile or more with zero driver input and there is no deadband in the wheel whereby a tiny input doesn't change our course. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by 2013FSport; 08-14-24 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-14-24 | 07:44 PM
Sonnyboy4u
Driver School Candidate

By everything, I mean complete shocks, struts, coils both front and rear, all lower and upper control arms, axles, hubs, sway bars, bushings, etc.
Old 08-14-24 | 08:24 PM
Nevada
Driver

Those are suspension parts, not steering parts.

The complaint in the original post: "the steering move by itself left to right when I'm driving un even, rough surface, little bumpy or wavy street." That is unwanted feed-back caused bywide tires and uneven road surfaces. This is normal, the nature of the vehicle: a sport sedan.
Old 08-15-24 | 06:07 PM
Sonnyboy4u
Driver School Candidate

I also replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, CV axles, boots, pretty much everything, but the steering column itself. And it still drifts all over the road, even though I have checked it three times from three different places to see if it was Alignment and they said it was not
Old 08-16-24 | 06:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sonnyboy4u
I also replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, CV axles, boots, pretty much everything, but the steering column itself. And it still drifts all over the road, even though I have checked it three times from three different places to see if it was Alignment and they said it was not
Clarify - inner tie rods vs "tie rods" or actual wheel alignment settings. If the rear of these have a hint of toe out, they will squirrel and dart like you can't believe! And when it hits ruts, all bets are off. I sure hope all these parts weren't thrown at this to fix this and stuff was actually worn out and needed replaced! Again, mine will drive a mile straight down the road without me touching it. And ANY miniscule touch and it goes where its pointed.

IIRC correctly there are three U-joints between the steering wheel and the racks pinion gear. These would be highly suspect depending on age and mileage. Lets say, those are good, you could spend roughly $250 for an IS-F EPS ECU (>2011 up) and you very much change how the car drives. Even the 2011 - 2013 F-Sport EPS ECU will make it drive so much better taking out that deadband that I think you're talking about as the main complaint. How many miles on this?
Read up on IS-F EPS ECU swaps. The stories written will likely convince you that this change is worth it!