Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

For those with TEIN Coils

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-03, 07:33 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For those with TEIN Coils

Guys,

What kind of maintained are you guys doing for the TEINS.

Are you guys lubricating any parts and how often? What causes them to squeak?

How often are you removing the residue build up on the threads? Lubricating the threads, makes them sticky so a lot of junk tends to build up on them.

Has anyone used silicon spray on the metal shaft where the coils compress?

Also, for those of you riding with the TEINS flex for a while. What kind of settings have you found to be most comfortable.

I am running 1 clicks from the softest up front and 3 click from the softest in the rear.

Is it better to keep the rear softer than the front or same all the way around.

By the way, the TEINS really do settle down "softness wise" and seems to be getting more comfortable as time goes on....does anyone have similar experiences.
Old 04-21-03, 07:42 AM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: For those with TEIN Coils

Originally posted by DrewGS4
Guys,

What kind of maintained are you guys doing for the TEINS.

Are you guys lubricating any parts and how often? What causes them to squeak?

How often are you removing the residue build up on the threads? Lubricating the threads, makes them sticky so a lot of junk tends to build up on them.

Has anyone used silicon spray on the metal shaft where the coils compress?

Also, for those of you riding with the TEINS flex for a while. What kind of settings have you found to be most comfortable.

I am running 1 clicks from the softest up front and 3 click from the softest in the rear.

Is it better to keep the rear softer than the front or same all the way around.

By the way, the TEINS really do settle down "softness wise" and seems to be getting more comfortable as time goes on....does anyone have similar experiences.

i have mine set at 1 click from softest in front like yours...
and 6 clicks from softest in the rear.....

yes, i've also noticed that they do get softer the more i drive on them
Old 04-21-03, 08:32 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running 10 front and 8 rear. It is recommended to have a stiffer setting at front due to the weight.
Old 04-21-03, 08:39 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Raristo,
Is the ride very harsh? It makes sense to keep a stiffer setting up front and a light setting in the back.

The only reason I went softer up front is to absorb impact on bumps.

I will try it your way and see what happens.
Drew
Old 04-21-03, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

raristo he even has the HA, even stiffer. i have HA and i am running 7 in the front and 5 in the back

TerryTCL, terrible idea. you should run softer settings in the rear for better handling

drewgs4, usually i'd spray some wd40 on the threads to maintain it. i will try to at least adjust them twice a yr just to make sure they still work
Old 04-21-03, 10:11 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Drew,

My ride is indeed harsh, specially with the 19" wheels, TRD sway bars, and some other suspension goodies. If you want a soft ride, I wouldn't recommend my setting. If memory serves me right, I set 2 front and 0 rear before and the ride was somewhat similiar to L-tuned.
Old 04-23-03, 12:55 AM
jawnthen
Lead Lap

Default coilover damping settings...

I have been experimenting with my tein HA settings and still haven't found one setting that I like. Each one has it stenghts and weaknesses. I wish I had the EDFC tho so I can make these changes on the fly....

Here's a little section from an article I found on the topic.
http://www.se-r.net/suspension/shock_tech.html

"Developing the appropriate settings for your combination can take some experimentation, but will be very rewarding in terms of lap times and fun. Beware of the recommended "ultimate setup." There is no perfect combination for all cars and drivers. That setup will likely get you in the ballpark, but again, your variables will define your own needs.

If Driver B is faster in the same kind of car, don't expect the same adjustments to be the answer. He may have gotten his suggestions from Driver A, who may have known what he was talking about or who may have been covering up some other inadequacy. As racers we tend to want to mimic "the fast guy," but at best this can put us even with him; at worst, it can put us way off base-even if you can trust the info he supplies. You should take what you have learned and find the fast way for you.

TUNING

The goal you are seeking is getting your car to react to the ground, so you must remember that suspension tuning is actually making your tire work harder and more efficiently. Realize that a very soft suspension can give the tire too much motion to do its job, and a very stiff suspension can give too little.

The rule of thumb says that greater rebound damping loosens that end of the car, so a front-drive car that won't turn in can use some more rear rebound. Couple that with enough front rebound to slow body roll, but not so much as to cause inside wheel lift, and you are on your way.

A tail-happy rear driver could probably use more front rebound (to loosen the front) and less rear rebound (to reduce rotation) in the pursuit of balance."
Old 04-23-03, 06:44 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting article.

So basically the rule of thumb is for FWD to keep a flexible dampening up front and firm dampening in the rear.

On RWD cars the opposite is true, firm font and soft rear.

At least that is what I think this what you are suggesting.
Based on this, my setup is for FWD while driving a RWD car? - wrong setup for the GS.

Hey your not the CLK430 driver I beat this morning are you? Just kidding, i belive this and will make the change this weekend.