Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help!! Tein Flex rattling

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03 | 12:45 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default ya bro

you dont deserve to drive a lexus with that attitude, i heard honda civics are real practical, and gas freindly to, you should definalty stay away from luxury and performance all together. then you will find true happiness!
Old 05-06-03 | 12:50 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

FYI, i have been driving a lexus since the first generation LS and have been a fan for years, but lately have the urge to get back in a coupe which I can drive with total confidance, while staying classy and having enough luxury. Lexus just doesnt cutt it for me anymore. Sorry buddy, just my opinion right now. I am tired of making the GS into something it really wasn't meant too be.
Old 05-06-03 | 01:55 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default no swet of my harry beanbag!

i could care less what you do, get yourself in a coupe and stop putting down the gs! fyi, making things what they were never meant to be? thats the whole point of modding a car. if you want to buy something and not touch it then your a stock man, how did you get into modding? peer presure? you think the custom mercury in my avator was meant to be slammed, chooped, shaved etc.? it sure is an improvement from stock? anyways im done with this thread, sorry if i gave you A hard time, but you sound so disapointed in your car, why dont you start a thread on how you hate the gs? instead of sabotoging the tein flex thread?
Old 05-06-03 | 02:11 PM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Im not sabotaging anything. I am just trying to get help and give some feedback with my experience with the Flex's, no pun intended.
Old 05-06-03 | 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by dgtbullet
Its just that, i have come up with the conclusion that Lexus is too luxury for me and that I need a true drivers car with performance. I have taken the car in and out a countless number of times and the car is just not satisfying too my taste. The car is impractical too take too the city or on imperfect road surfaces.
... but lately have the urge to get back in a coupe which I can drive with total confidance, while staying classy and having enough luxury. Lexus just doesnt cutt it for me anymore.
So you want a coupe that's classy, has 'enough' luxury, and is a true driver's car with performance. What did you have in mind, something like a CL55?
Old 05-07-03 | 05:45 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

I am actually looking into a G35, but everything is up in the air. I have test driven it and my friend just bought it and all i gotta say is that it is perfect for me and my needs. I am really happy too see the revival of Nissan. The Z is actually catching my eye a lot more of late. I wish I could afford the CL, trsut me, but dont have the cheese for it right now. Maybe in like 20 yrs....
Old 05-07-03 | 06:45 PM
LexBubble
Rookie

Do not mean to jump on the put you down train but dgt you sound like my 5 year old daughter who gives up when she can't spell a word properly. I am not new to the came but go ahead and get a G35 coupe, they are nice but on a different level than the GS series (apples and oranges). I am also quite upset to see that you can give up so easily. Nobody held a gun to your head and said put these mods on your car or else. If you are having problems with something, then take it off and start over. You are in VA right, well how many modded GS's do you come across compared to riced civics and rsx's? I am always in the VA Beach area and can count on one hand how many modded GS's I have seen compared to the every 30 seconds you see a civic or rsx. Not everyone gets the opportunity to own a Lexus but I forgot that you are rich and your other daily driver is a Bentley Arnage. You don't deserve the prestige of a Lexus you quitter
Old 05-07-03 | 07:39 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default i agree...

just get a nissan and im sure youll be *****ing about it on some nissan forum...its pointless trying to explain something to someone who would rather drive a nissan then a gs4? wow. no more being hard on dgt, he's just expressing his mind...no ones been as hard on him, then himself, that should be enough to deal with. good luck bro!
Old 05-08-03 | 07:34 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexBubble
Do not mean to jump on the put you down train but dgt you sound like my 5 year old daughter who gives up when she can't spell a word properly. I am not new to the came but go ahead and get a G35 coupe, they are nice but on a different level than the GS series (apples and oranges). I am also quite upset to see that you can give up so easily. Nobody held a gun to your head and said put these mods on your car or else. If you are having problems with something, then take it off and start over. You are in VA right, well how many modded GS's do you come across compared to riced civics and rsx's? I am always in the VA Beach area and can count on one hand how many modded GS's I have seen compared to the every 30 seconds you see a civic or rsx. Not everyone gets the opportunity to own a Lexus but I forgot that you are rich and your other daily driver is a Bentley Arnage. You don't deserve the prestige of a Lexus you quitter
Quitter, really.........Okay. Looks like your the baller here man. I have had my fun with the GS and am an avid fan of lexus but feel that its time for me too change so stop PMSing. I have said a lot of nice things about lexus/toyota and have nothing bad too say, but the GS is going too be on its way out, I can still make some money on my '99, I can get a brand new Z which is hottt, and have a brand new car. So stop crying dawg......
Old 05-08-03 | 09:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Come on guys, this topic is about rattling coilovers.

If DGT wants something new, more power to him and let's all hope he enjoys it as much as most of us enjoy our Lexus products. We don't all have to like his new car - it's his decision.
Old 05-12-03 | 09:06 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I had a similar problem with my first set of Flex, check the bolts on the top of the assembly. If they are not torqued properly , they can come loose which will casue exactly what your talking about. When I say on top, I mean in the engine bay, the big bolt that holds the strut assembly together.

Its just that, i have come up with the conclusion that Lexus is too luxury for me and that I need a true drivers car with performance. I have taken the car in and out a countless number of times and the car is just not satisfying too my taste. The car is impractical too take too the city or on imperfect road surfaces.
By the way, Im not sure how many modded/ lowered cars you have owned, but any lowered car is going to be impractical on city roads and imperfect road surfaces. A true drivers car will proabably actually be worse. I have had many lowerd Bimmers, M3's, 330ci, etc, all considered to be drivers cars, they drove harsh as can be when lowered. Not comfy on city roads.
Old 05-22-03 | 08:37 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

I am thinking its the pillowball upper mounts of the Tein Flex. I think I am having the same problem. Apparently, pillowball mounts are notorious for this.
Old 05-22-03 | 09:02 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Also, you might want to check if the spring is sitting correctly.. I remember another member had the same problem and he couldn't figure out that was wrong.. Everything was tight and they were brand new.. But what turned out to be the problem was the spring was sitting correctly.. And after they fixed how it sat he didn't have that rattling/hitting sound anymore...
Old 05-22-03 | 09:23 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

I am thinking its the pillowball upper mounts of the Tein Flex. I think I am having the same problem. Apparently, pillowball mounts are notorious for this
Im not sure that this is an actual problem with the pillowball mounts, but I do know that the pillowball uppers make the ride much harsher than the rubber ones would. I think sometimes the harshness is mistaken for rattling.

Also, you might want to check if the spring is sitting correctly
Im not sure what the members with the flex are reffering to when they talk about the spring not being seated correctly. I know what they mean by this, but the Flex springs are completely flat on both top and bottom, they do not have that extending coil that sits in the groove like alot of springs do. Looking at mine repeatedly, I dont think there is a way to have them installed seated incorrectly. I could be wrong, but I just dont see it.
Old 05-23-03 | 04:53 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Are you guys referring to the bolts that are seen on top of the pillow mount or hidden underneath and can only be seen from underneath the car. I think there is 2 set of bolts that hold the pillowmount in place, the top 3 per strut and the bottom 3 per strut.

If the top 3 are tight, and it still rattles, try to tighten the bottom 3 which can only be done when the car is jacked. If it still rattles, I would than check to see if the spring is sitting correctly.

Quick Reply: Help!! Tein Flex rattling