Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers !

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 05:03 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Coilovers !

Ok I badly need something - I'm only running 255 x 40 x 17" and my arches look huge, I don't want to get bigger wheels just yet I want to leave it for a while but also my front is fairly low and I need to be able to stiffing up the suspension a little to. I want to be able to adjust the heigth as easy as possible.

Coilovers ???

What type would be best for what I need, oh and cheap too. LOL ha, don't ask for much do I !! I was hoping you lads might be able to help me With this as you might have some past experience with these. Also the reason why I came here rather than the other forums is because I have a 91' Aristo import all the rest seemed to be all mostly newer

Any help will be gladly taking
Old 04-22-03, 09:20 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about cheap unless you can get them used, but check into TEIN, JIC, and TRD. I have heard good reviews on both the TEINs and the JIC coilovers and I'm not sure if TRD has them for the US version of the Aristo so this might not be a good place to look for feedback on those.

BTW, I talked with the previous owner of my car (my dad ) and he said that the steering wheel has made that squeaking noise since the beginning. Why he didn't have them check it out under warranty I don't know.
Old 04-23-03, 07:25 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Thanks for the input, but I think that the main setup should be the same on both the US and the european version. I don't mind paying a good bit for them just once they do what I want them to.
I had been hoping maybe some of yous might have had some these on your own cars. ( if not is there a reason why not ?? ) It's always best I think to talk to someone who has been there - done that.

So any other sugestions ??

P.s. So what are you going to do about the power steering now?, mine is still as bad as ever. !!

Old 04-23-03, 09:28 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

I know there are a couple of guys here with the TEIN HA's and if they don't speak up you should be able to find their comments by running a search. For the JICs Manaray has them in his SC and he was the one who recommended them for our cars. Look in the thread JMAI started about wanting to sell his GS for an SC. There is a link that Manaray posted detailing the install.

As far as that steering noise, my friend and I are going to check the bushings (his idea), I don't know what exactly what he has in mind but when we do it I'll let you know. he has a Jetta and he is getting the steering noise, too. Also I have a friend with a Passat who is also experiencing the noise. I personally think there are bearings in the steering column that might need to be greased-up or whatever you do to bearings. I don't know much about power steering systems. If it involves taking the engine out then I'm not going to do anything until I get the main seal replaced so I can do them at the same time and save $$$.
Old 04-23-03, 11:22 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

for value, Bilsteins PSS system is a good choice...they are ~$900/set shipped here in the US
Old 04-24-03, 12:43 AM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

RooLex,

I've had the Tein HA's for about 1 month now and I love them. They are a little stiffer than my previous setup (Eibach/KYB struts). The roads are pretty good where I live so it's not too bad. But when I travel to places with lots of uneven pavements and potholes, then it could get pretty rough.

How's the road condition where you live? If it's pretty rough, then the HA's might be a little too stiff for you. You might also look into the Tein CS. They're more for comfort but a little more expensive. I guess it all depends how "stiff" a ride you want.

I was in the same situation as you are in..........17inch wheels with big gap. Now, I have a 1.5 finger gap at the wheel well. I think I will drop it to about a 1 finger gap next time I bring my car in.

Good luck!

Last edited by kts_GS3; 04-24-03 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-24-03, 01:06 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also look at JIC...depending on the car, you can get either the SF-1 or FLT-A2....very good suspension. I'm changing out my Tein FLEX for a set of JIC FLT-A2's on my GS430...my SC400 has SF-1's...
Old 04-25-03, 06:10 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Unhappy

Thanks lads for the help,

but the 'JIC' setup seems to be the only one I can find to suit a 93' to 97' model GS300 - these look to be a very good setup and I'm going to see can I find some more info on them. So if any one here has had any experience eith these just shout !! There about $1995 for four but I still don't know how I will get them over here ??.
Old 04-25-03, 09:10 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

RooLEX, read this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=76421

check this site

http://www.rxecret7.com/jicsf1coilov.html

That might help

YOu know that steering noise we have? Try asking a shop to "lubricate your steering column." That is supposed to do magic.