Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Seized rear caliper lower pin/hinge

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-16, 07:34 PM
bbgts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized rear caliper lower pin/hinge

Newbie. Thanks for reading my post. 2008 IS 250 AWD -- Rear passenger side caliper is seized. The top bolt came out with a struggle but we got it freed and cleaned. However, it was extremely difficult to rotate the caliper downward far enough to clear the rotor. After numerous bangs with a hammer we got it to rotate. Once it cleared the rotor it was impossible to slide the caliper off the lower hinge bolt. No amount of pounding would work. Any recommendations on how to free this up other than soaking with PB Blaster for a week? Any advice or help would be appreciated. The faster the better. Thanks.
Old 03-22-16, 09:39 AM
mcastro
Driver School Candidate

Hi- i had the same issue on the very same caliper. I used a butane torch to heat the part of the caliper that shrouds the pin for a few minutes. Use a mallet to hit the rear of the caliper closest to the pin and it should come out. Scrape any gunk that is stuck on the pin with a box cutter so that the pin is nice and smooth. Add extra synthetic brake caliper grease inside the new/reman caliper (they never put enough) and on the clean pin. When you slide the new/reman caliper, move it back and forth to release any air stuck inside the slide chamber. I hope this helps!
Old 03-22-16, 10:18 AM
bbgts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply. I was wondering how I could have 40+ views and no response. I know (seized caliper) is talked about on this site but I wanted to make sure that torching it was probably the only alternative with that slider pin. And I wanted to make sure people understood that it was the lower pin that didn't unscrew. You say hit it at the point closest to the pin... is that the front side (wheel side) as you are looking at the caliper or from behind the rotor (from underneath the car), which, I suspect, you would only be pounding it back on the pin? Let me know if this is what you mean. Thanx.
Old 03-22-16, 01:52 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my bolt broke and can't find new/used matching one for IS350.

Try not to break yours.
Old 03-23-16, 06:33 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went through this and gave up trying to free the pin. Both of my upper slide bolts unscrewed no problem but it was both lower slide pins that were rusted in place. I tried heat and a hammer but no joy. I could get one of the calipers to rotate down just a little but not enough.

I ended up buying new calipers with the new caliper support brackets so that they had all new slide (pins/bushings) hardware. Brakes work perfectly now.

Last edited by Soledad; 03-23-16 at 07:11 AM.