Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

StopTech Brake Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 04:04 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
well i guess you are a bit confused. you need 18" wheels to clear the 14" rotors setup coz you need mor space inside the wheels. but if you have 18" wheels, you will get lower profile tires, and the overall diameter of the wheel does NOT change.... so even i have 19" wheels on my gs4, the diameter of the wheel doesn't change much. that's why i can still trust my speedo. so NO, putting brakes will have NOTHING to do with lowering
Well I think you are a little confused. They do have one brake package for cars that are lowered 1". They offer a different brake package for cars that are lowered more than 1" just like Manaray said. High Disk has nothing to do with wheel diameter. If your car is lowered more than an inch and you want stoptech brakes (the part number that ends in 4600)you are going to need a High Disk fitment on your wheels. I know what your saying, but Im talking about the space between the wheel center and the caliper. Sorry if I was not clear the first time.
Old 05-01-03, 08:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

But why would you need a different brake package if the car is lowered more? I don't get it.
Old 05-02-03, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by SandRock
Well I think you are a little confused. They do have one brake package for cars that are lowered 1". They offer a different brake package for cars that are lowered more than 1" just like Manaray said. High Disk has nothing to do with wheel diameter. If your car is lowered more than an inch and you want stoptech brakes (the part number that ends in 4600)you are going to need a High Disk fitment on your wheels. I know what your saying, but Im talking about the space between the wheel center and the caliper. Sorry if I was not clear the first time.
nah i know what you talking about and all about high disk setup, etc... i have ap racing so i have done a lot of research. and from all i could tell, there is just no reason why the brake fitment would have anything to do with how much teh car is lowered. i have ap racing, 19", high disk setup, and my car is lowered by almost 3" and it's fine. as long as the offset of wheels is right, it will be flushed with the fender and won't rub. i still dont' see any relationship between the two. maybe manaray can help to clear this up
Old 05-02-03, 06:59 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

It has something to do with the steering stops from what I understand. You probally run your 19"s all year around. So you can use the same brakes. Because they offer brakes that fit into stock 17"s you can not use those same brakes if you want to lower more than 1". We have winter here and I cant run my 20x9"s in the winter. So I run stock in the winter. I think Im lowered around 2", so I wanted to check if I could get the brakes that fit in the stock wheels. But if I get them I have to raise my car up and keep it there. If I get those brakes and lower my car I will hit the rotor before I hit the steering stop when I turn. So I have to get the ones that are for cars lowered more than an inch. With that in mind I wont be able to switch to stock wheels in the winter. I know this sounds weird but thats the case.
Old 05-02-03, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

It has something to do with the steering stops from what I understand. You probally run your 19"s all year around. So you can use the same brakes. Because they offer brakes that fit into stock 17"s you can not use those same brakes if you want to lower more than 1". We have winter here and I cant run my 20x9"s in the winter. So I run stock in the winter. I think Im lowered around 2", so I wanted to check if I could get the brakes that fit in the stock wheels. But if I get them I have to raise my car up and keep it there. If I get those brakes and lower my car I will hit the rotor before I hit the steering stop when I turn. So I have to get the ones that are for cars lowered more than an inch. With that in mind I wont be able to switch to stock wheels in the winter. I know this sounds weird but thats the case.
ummm..... interesting. i never thought about that, but you could be right. you asked stoptech about this one?
Old 05-02-03, 12:07 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Yea I talked to them yesterday.
Old 05-02-03, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

so basically you are saying if you get the kit that will fit under 17" stock wheels, and if you lower the car more than 1", the rotor will hit "soemthing" when you try to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left/right? do you know what it's going to hit? coz' the rotors are inside the wheel, so i am wondering what inside can cause that

and yup, i never put back stock wheels
Old 05-02-03, 01:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

rominl - good questions! This still makes no sense to me.
Old 05-02-03, 01:52 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is getting a bit confusing. I am interested in the StopTechs. I have the L-Tuned suspension which lowers just over 1". I am not going to be running 17" stock and have the L-Tuned 18s. I am also planning to eventually go to coilovers. All things point to getting the set that is for over 1" lowered. But is the "lowered by 1 inch" kit the safe kit or does it have nothing to do with that. I am pretty sure the OZ Salinas are not high-disc, well it has no lip so I am not sure if this term applies.

I just want to get one that fits. I'd like the 14" but will settle for the 13" if it is the only option. Is there a way to test things, maybe AT StopTech? I don't want to spend 2k+ and then find out it does not fit. It is not like you can return them if they don't fit. Even the template may not be a guarantee. I'd be willing to drive down to SoCal to StopTech or somewhere that can verify the fitment. Does anyone know if this is an option?
Old 05-02-03, 02:55 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Neo,

You can contact PLP which is Stoptech authorized dealer and locates at San Jose. Perhaps they could provide the first line of answer (a hack lot closer for you). best luck.
Old 05-02-03, 03:18 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Well here it is. With the brake kit thats used when you lower your car 2.5" or so, the lower control arm will hit the rotor. So they move the rotor outboard to clear it from the control arm. That brings it closer to the wheel. After talking to one of thier dealers, I will need a 2 to 5mm spacer to solve the problem. I also called stoptech to confirm. That will allow me to use the stock 17"s in the winter. So bottom line, I need a spacer to run my stock wheels with the brake kit that allows for lowering more than an inch. I hope this makes it clear....... Damn I put in some work for this one!
Old 05-02-03, 03:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by RAristo
Neo,

You can contact PLP which is Stoptech authorized dealer and locates at San Jose. Perhaps they could provide the first line of answer (a hack lot closer for you). best luck.
I did talk to Mike. Cool guy.

Anyway, he told me to check to make sure I have 52mm from my OEM rotors to the back of my rim. This is a pretty straight-forward condition. This does not take into consideration the issues raised in this post. I don't think PLP keep stock on these brakes so it is not like I can try it out. I am just trying to cover all the bases before plopping down the $.
Old 05-02-03, 09:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Well here it is. With the brake kit thats used when you lower your car 2.5" or so, the lower control arm will hit the rotor. So they move the rotor outboard to clear it from the control arm. That brings it closer to the wheel. After talking to one of thier dealers, I will need a 2 to 5mm spacer to solve the problem. I also called stoptech to confirm. That will allow me to use the stock 17"s in the winter. So bottom line, I need a spacer to run my stock wheels with the brake kit that allows for lowering more than an inch. I hope this makes it clear....... Damn I put in some work for this one!
ah...... now i see. that's interesting info! so basically the way stoptech does it to make it fits in the stock wheels is by pushing the rotors more inside so it leaves more space up front to clear the caliper. and with that design, you can't lower teh car too much coz' the more pushed in rotors will hit the control arm. now it's making sense. umm....... in that case...... i might settle with spacers. i mean..... 1" is way too little drop for my taste
Old 05-02-03, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Neo
I did talk to Mike. Cool guy.

Anyway, he told me to check to make sure I have 52mm from my OEM rotors to the back of my rim. This is a pretty straight-forward condition. This does not take into consideration the issues raised in this post. I don't think PLP keep stock on these brakes so it is not like I can try it out. I am just trying to cover all the bases before plopping down the $.
well stoptech themselves are based in torrance, so if you can drive down....
Old 05-02-03, 09:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
ah...... now i see. that's interesting info! so basically the way stoptech does it to make it fits in the stock wheels is by pushing the rotors more inside so it leaves more space up front to clear the caliper. and with that design, you can't lower teh car too much coz' the more pushed in rotors will hit the control arm. now it's making sense. umm....... in that case...... i might settle with spacers. i mean..... 1" is way too little drop for my taste
OK I sort of understand this for those that want to use stock rims some or all of the time, but if I have high disc large (19") rims and never want to put the factory 17's on, is there a StopTech brake package I can get regardless of how much I lower it that won't require spacers? No way I'm forking over all that cash to find out I either have to use spacers or I have big limitations in how much I can lower my car!

Quick Reply: StopTech Brake Discussion