Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is a "Bag over Coilover" Air suspension and is it cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 11:44 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by qtmac
The dampening setting is on top of the strut tower turn left or right to soften or stiffen up. Have my Accuair E-level+airforce for 2yrs now no problems
So even for air suspension the dampening setting is still in the same place as regular coilovers then? Gotcha.
Old 05-05-16, 11:58 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by loitranman
You can ask me through facebook. I just recently got UAS airbags over my BC coils. I'll give you more info on it.

To answer your question: "Ive heard some people talk about Bags over Coilovers and how its a cheaper alternative but I dont know exactly what that means. Like how exactly does that work, whats the benefit, and is there any negatives to it??"

This is UAS air bags, (Universal Air Bags) where you can purchase each individual bag most likely Aero Sport in our cars. You then need brackets for it for the BC coilovers that you have. As for the dampener, its based on your coilover to adjust the stiffness, etc. However, the problem with the UAS air bags on BC coils is that you NEED to cut/bracket the rear coilover to fit the air bag. (send the rears into UAS, about 250 dollars to do plus shipping and stuff equates to around 270-275.. Include the bracket that is needed for it, another 110-120).

As for the management, it is completely up to you, but I have accuair e-level management.

If you want to go air, its not cheap at all, no matter what direction you are going. $1000-2000 will get you the manual management (or maybe if you find a good deal on elevel management then hop onto it), air bags UAS = 189 a bag x 4 ~ $800(roughly after tax), get it rebracketed and cut 360-370, installation around 1000-1500. If you were to buy struts such as airrex or d2 or function and forms with the bags already on there, it'll cost around 1600+ for the F&F or D2 just for the PAIR, so around 3000+ for front and rear, going air force same thing. Airrex around 3000+ also. I'm just throwing some numbers out for the other struts because I'm not too familiar with them. (Correct me guys).

As for the going low, you can LAY FRAME if you wanted no matter what setup you do, its up to your installer and yourself. They just need to readjust it or cut it I believe. But there is a downside, if you don't have your fenders rolled or cut then you will definitely mess up your wheels. You can keep your BC's, I did with mine. I can lay frame with mine, however the maximum height isn't really THAT high because you are sacrificing going so low that when you have 90-100% air in your bags, its not that high off the ground.
So its expensive regardless huh? Bummer.. I guess ill just have to push Air off to the side for now. I got plans of painting my car a nice custom color in the near future but thought Air might be a better next mod after my wheels next month. But I think Ill just stick to being static for a while I guess and go through with my paint job. Regardless, thank you for your honesty in answering this question. I was beginning to believe that Air Suspensions might actually be affordable lol. Guess not, but hey, thats life.
Old 05-06-16, 12:07 AM
loitranman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
So its expensive regardless huh? Bummer.. I guess ill just have to push Air off to the side for now. I got plans of painting my car a nice custom color in the near future but thought Air might be a better next mod after my wheels next month. But I think Ill just stick to being static for a while I guess and go through with my paint job. Regardless, thank you for your honesty in answering this question. I was beginning to believe that Air Suspensions might actually be affordable lol. Guess not, but hey, thats life.
Pretty much, air is definitely not cheap. I say wait, find a good deal and hop on it, classifieds usually have good deals, but you can also bargain. With you getting wheels, you should be ok with static.. The upside of having air is the adjustability going low and high at any given time. And also comfortability.
Old 05-06-16, 07:29 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

D2 air strut costs $1800 new for all four btw, same as ksport,airforce, etc.
Airlift struts are like $2200
Old 05-06-16, 08:46 AM
qtmac
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dampening setting is in the same spot as most standard coilover setups with dampening setting and the coilover to raise and lower the strut on a strut/bag setup is the same as a coilover setup just turn the height adjusting ring to raise or lower the strut