Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Advice on Coilover Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-03, 04:32 PM
SoCalSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Coilover Installation

I'm getting some Tein Flex coilovers for my SC and I was curious if installing the coilovers is DIYable. Have any of you installed your own coilovers and is there any tips and advice you can give me? Or do you guys recommend that I get a professional to install it, and if so - where's a good shop in the LA area that can do a good install?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
Old 05-01-03, 05:26 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Need Advice on Coilover Installation

Originally posted by SoCalSC300
I'm getting some Tein Flex coilovers for my SC and I was curious if installing the coilovers is DIYable. Have any of you installed your own coilovers and is there any tips and advice you can give me? Or do you guys recommend that I get a professional to install it, and if so - where's a good shop in the LA area that can do a good install?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!
I've done a few coilover installs before... but never on an SC and it is definitely DIYable on the other cars hahaha

BUT!!! with our SCs... becareful of the A Arms where the ABS sensor is attached, dont let it drop too far down when you pull the suspension off or else it will pull the ABS sensor out= new ABS sensor...

now thats one thing to be careful of thats SC specific... all my other experience is on other cars where basically... make sure to put the Left side on the Left side and the right on the right... bolts and nuts are easy to strip... I'd recommend using hex sockets instead of the more common 12 do deca sockets eeheheh

try to adjust the coilvoers as evenly as possible (I do it by counting threads and comp[aring them next to eachother and the stock suspension)

becareful not to lower the car tOOOO much with the coilovers... when I was doing mine, my friend recommended that I drop it another 4 inches.... when I put the suspension on (not 4 inches lower) the car tucks a tiny bit in front already... so I woulda tubbed my car hahaha

any other general questions I can answer? otherwise, I'll leave it up to the SC pros
Old 05-01-03, 08:32 PM
SoCalSC300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply carnal...btw, what kind of tools do you need for the install?
Old 05-06-03, 05:11 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

air tools helped a bunch

otherwise a collection of half inch drive sockers, rachets and breaker bar

basically with my Maxima you can disassemble the entire car with 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and a 19mm sockets

needed a few wrenches too 14mm, 17mm, and 19mm

spring compressor is kinda cool to have to you can preload the springs
Old 05-09-03, 07:05 AM
sct
Driver School Candidate

Default re: Need Advice on Coilover Installation

I'd save your money and do it yourself. Did tein HA install in sc300 last year took about half a day with just the tools carnal mentioned. also did a friends 94 supra about a month ago exactly the same about 4-5 hrs. if the installation pdf on tein website isn't that helpful mkiv.com has scanned install manual with some pictures/drawings.