Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 10:24 AM
Jackco711
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

99. Ive read a couple of threads about that here and get a 50/50 response on whether all years have it. Im just glad mine has it. Id love to know where it is located so i could fine tune it to exactly how I like it. Im psyched to drive home from work today. The car rides much nicer.
Meanwhile it seems that my suspension squeaks a little bit. Is this normal?
Old 06-08-03, 09:36 PM
MRC
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: suspension

Originally posted by wineohs
Try doing a search for L-Tuned under the suspension forum and their will be a ton of comments from other users who have this suspension. I just put mine on yesterday and I really don't notice alot of ride degradation.
I bought the L-Tuned b/c I didn't like the way the car performed at highway speed. There was a tremendous amount of float which made me feel diconnected from the car. The L-Tuned seemed to fix this. It also makes the car less skiddish going over bumps/potholes at highway speed. As I told you in a previous post, I also had the Daizen bushings put on the car. WOW...I can only imagine how tight the car would feel with the Daizen or TRD sway bars. I put the bushings on to reduce body roll, and they helped quite a bit. The car handles crisper on turns and corners.

Believe me, trying to keep as much of the luxury ride, while improving handling, was very important to me. This seemed like a senseable solution for me..
Scott
I love my GS430 but I too am getting tired of its handling like a 1963 Cadillac land yacht. I'm looking to make it handle more like a BMW 540. However, I love the GS430's super quiet and smooth ride and don't want to degrade that too much. My car is an '01 with 25k on the clock with the factory 17" wheels and 245x35 tires (not a typo, the tires are slightly larger than stock). I do not want to replace the wheels. I suspect new springs and shocks alone will do the job and I don't need new swaybars.

I don't need the car to handle like my Panoz Roadster. It never will and I don't expect that. All I want to do is to reduce the exaggerated body roll, squat and dive it currently has. Swaybars alone won't fix the squat & dive, so I'll need springs and/or shocks. But once I have stiffer springs & shocks, that's probably all I need; I can probably keep the stock swaybars, wheels, etc.).

How do I find out more about what is in the L-tuned package, how much it costs, and where to get it? Maybe all I need are the springs and shocks from the L-tuned package. Is it possible to order just that?

Thanks,

Last edited by MRC; 06-09-03 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-11-03, 04:07 PM
MRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Jackco711
99. Ive read a couple of threads about that here and get a 50/50 response on whether all years have it. Im just glad mine has it. Id love to know where it is located so i could fine tune it to exactly how I like it. Im psyched to drive home from work today. The car rides much nicer.
Meanwhile it seems that my suspension squeaks a little bit. Is this normal?
I got more info on the L-Tuned stuff and figured I'd post it for anyone who wants it.

For the GS models, the meat of the package is shocks & springs. There are no new swaybars. Here are the part #s and prices:
set of 4 shocks, 00644-48000-200, $239
set of 4 springs, 00644-48130-200, $350

The best prices I could find were from www.toysport.com (323) 777 7676. They are lower than the above. Turns out Eibach makes the springs and you can buy the exact same springs from Eibach for $50 to $60 cheaper without the Lexus logo. Apparently there are two versions of the Eibach springs: European and USA. TRD says the USA version of the spring is slightly stiffer (15-20% more than stock), but I'm skeptical of this because the Euro versions are usually stiffer. It's hard to provide inch/lb# ratings because they're progressive springs.

I ordered my package and eagerly await its arrival. Hope this info proves helpful.

Last edited by MRC; 06-12-03 at 07:14 AM.