Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help on calipers installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-16, 06:34 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Need help on calipers installation

Hi, i bought two rebuild rear calipers to replace in my IS350, and both are stuck not release from the rotors? Maybe the bolts hold the caliper and bracket is short? Because when I reinstalled the pads it seem like it has no room to put the pads in? Need help please
Old 06-17-16, 07:55 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you use clamp to push the Cal piston back ? your Ebrake on ?
Old 06-17-16, 08:32 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RandyIS250
did you use clamp to push the Cal piston back ? your Ebrake on ?
The piston pushed all the way back since it is new from and no ebrake on, it look like the bolt tight on caliper to the bracket is shorter than the original one? That why the caliper not freely move in and out?
Old 06-18-16, 06:09 AM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

when i replaced my rear pad i've had hard time taking the bolt out, i had to heated up and took me and my brother and a mechanic friend like 1.5 hours, but you said your pad isn't fit ? did they give you the right pad or did they give you the is250 caliper ? 250 350 brake system are not the same.

Ok is yours old caliper stuck or the new one ? old one should be serviced once a year or every winter because IS rear caliber designed is damn stupid, there 2 little metals pin you have to take them off before you slide the bolts out, if the parts are right everything should be normal if you the work done right, i just done all my brake and rotor last month bro. i have IS250 AWD.

Bolt should be tight, your Caliper is rebuild not aftermarket so they should 100% fit, Caliper Alternator Steering rack all those are rebuild from OEM parts should direct fit.

But bro mine Caliper bolt's hole f u c k ed after i took them off, the right rear, i had to do little DRILLING to make to hole bigger or else i couldn't slide the Bolt in, we've spent hour before my brother popped up an idea. i feel your pain, it happened to me on my 250 AWD last month, i hope the experience i had helps you out bro. good luck. i wish im at your house so i know exactly what went wrong
Old 06-18-16, 09:06 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

I would make sure you didn't get IS250 calipers, most IS250's use a thinner non-vented rear rotor.

Perhaps measure your calipers/compare them to your originals for sizing.

Jeff
Old 06-18-16, 07:41 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

when i replaced my rear pad i've had hard time taking the bolt out, i had to heated up and took me and my brother and a mechanic friend like 1.5 hours, but you said your pad isn't fit ? did they give you the right pad or did they give you the is250 caliper ? 250 350 brake system are not the same.

Ok is yours old caliper stuck or the new one ? old one should be serviced once a year or every winter because IS rear caliber designed is damn stupid, there 2 little metals pin you have to take them off before you slide the bolts out, if the parts are right everything should be normal if you the work done right, i just done all my brake and rotor last month bro. i have IS250 AWD.

Bolt should be tight, your Caliper is rebuild not aftermarket so they should 100% fit, Caliper Alternator Steering rack all those are rebuild from OEM parts should direct fit.

But bro mine Caliper bolt's hole f u c k ed after i took them off, the right rear, i had to do little DRILLING to make to hole bigger or else i couldn't slide the Bolt in, we've spent hour before my brother popped up an idea. i feel your pain, it happened to me on my 250 AWD last month, i hope the experience i had helps you out bro. good luck. i wish im at your house so i know exactly what went wrong
Well I ordered two calipers from advance auto parts and they are identical to my stock calipers, the only thing when i put them on, I don't have enough clearance for the outside pad to squeeze in, but the back pad have alot of clearance i mean big gap, i tried to pull the caliper outward to squeeze in the outside pad.
Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I would make sure you didn't get IS250 calipers, most IS250's use a thinner non-vented rear rotor.

Perhaps measure your calipers/compare them to your originals for sizing.

Jeff
Yeah i compare them and they are same size
Old 06-18-16, 08:38 PM
RandyIS250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Well I ordered two calipers from advance auto parts and they are identical to my stock calipers, the only thing when i put them on, I don't have enough clearance for the outside pad to squeeze in, but the back pad have alot of clearance i mean big gap, i tried to pull the caliper outward to squeeze in the outside pad.

Yeah i compare them and they are same size
Get a big flat screw driver, there a gap between the caliper before the outer brake pad, push the screw driver hard to make the outer caliper move out a little, it should work, i had to do that to fit the outer pad.

i had Hole and Drilled Rotor with aftermarket pad, the front passenger makes tick tick tick noise when i apply the brake, my mechanic friend checked it twice he said everything is good but he can't tell what makes that tick tick tick noise, my brother said because it's cross drilled and hole rotor thats why i get that tick tick tick noise.

Last edited by RandyIS250; 06-18-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 08:51 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Get a big flat screw driver, there a gap between the caliper before the outer brake pad, push the screw driver hard to make the outer caliper move out a little, it should work, i had to do that to fit the outer pad.

i had Hole and Drilled Rotor with aftermarket pad, the front passenger makes tick tick tick noise when i apply the brake, my mechanic friend checked it twice he said everything is good but he can't tell what makes that tick tick tick noise, my brother said because it's cross drilled and hole rotor thats why i get that tick tick tick noise.
Thanks i will remove and reinstall calipers tomorrow and check to see what wrong with them
Old 06-19-16, 08:24 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Default Reinstall but still no luck.

Hi guys, i had time today to redo my rear brake calipers, and found out that the rebuild calipers from advance auto part look exactly OEM one with the same stamp logo too, and i found that they got on the wrong rubber gromets that is the reason why the calipers not freely move in and out, so i swap out with the old orginal groumets and they are move in and out very easy before i put the pads back on, and they all seem is the reason why my calipers was stuck before? I thought that was the issues, and i put everything back on and test drive for five miles and check to see if it is still stuck? Oh man it is still stuck and it got really hot, i dont know what happen now i changed my whole family toyota and lexus brake calipers before and never ran in this trouble, anyone please help my to understand how the IS brake fluid bleed, is it could be the problem? Thanks all
Old 06-23-16, 01:04 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Default Problem solved:))

Hi guys, last night I decided remove my calipers again to see what the heck going on with two calipers, i changed brake calipers on fews of my family cars before and never ran into the NEW brake calipers got stuck. Well last night I removed everything off from the car and compare the new calipers with the original one to see is any different? Sure enough i was missing place two very thin washers from the back of the calipers bracket, i know sound weird and I didn't thing that thin washers can make a big difference, after i remove that two thin washers from the old bracket and install on the new bracket and install them on and check to see the pads and rotor clearance, and it sure enough it give just and hair line clearance to make the rotor freely move, not freaky tight like before, i hope everything going alright now
Old 06-24-16, 12:32 PM
Gville350

Received 433 Likes on 385 Posts

^I think I remember those things when I installed my replacement, new OEM calipers. Just very thin washers I guess; enough to get the clearance you needed.

Good work!