Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-03, 09:48 AM
virtualinsanity
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spacers

how is handling affected by spacers in the rear wheels? I currently have 4 18x8 rims and chose that instead of the staggered set up so I could still rotate the tires and get even wear. Problem is that the rear rims seem to be a little recessed into the body. Are spacers a good idea? Are they worth it if there are any risks? Anything I should know? Thanks.
Old 05-05-03, 11:48 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have H&R spacers on the rear. I can say for sure that the car feels more planted on the ground. The spacers you should be concerned about are the ones with out the bolts. Those can slip and be very dangerous. H&R spacers are of premium quality and are installed directly on porsche. They come with there own bolts to lock them in place so they would never slip or come loose.
For these spacers prices are in excess of 100 bucks

They also have ricer spacers for the hondas, etc. These are often of very cheap quality, come with no bolts and should not be installed IMOP. I think its okay to use these only for very small 3mm or less, if you need to clear them over your brake setup but that its. Remember, its your stock lugs/screws that will secure this. For larger vehicles with more torque, a premium quality spacer w/lugs should be used.
Old 05-05-03, 04:49 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with Drew. H&R are the way to go. I had 15mm H&R spacers, but with those you need to replace you stock studs with longer ones. Any mechanic should be able to replace all of them for around 75 dollars. It only takes about 20 mins per side, no need to take off the Hub. For smaller applications, you can just use the cheap spacers that fit in between the wheel and the hub. I am running a 5mm spacer on my back wheels to give me a +40 offset, cuz +45 offset was the lowerest they made for my wheels.
Old 05-05-03, 05:38 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I have 18x8.5 wheels with +40 offset all around. What spacer should i use for the rear, 10mm or 5mm to get the staggered look? Where can i get the H&R spacers?
Old 05-05-03, 10:19 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With your setup your tires are about 16mm further out than stock 17x8 +50 wheels. I think you can go with the 15mm H&Rs that come with the longer bolts and have the hub centric fit. I don't think H&Rsells 10mm spacers. Cost about $110. I got mine in less than a week from Livermore Performance on the net. They are very high quality.