Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Spring-shock install procedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-03, 10:25 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring-shock install procedure

I will be replacing my springs and shocks this weekend and I am looking for some removal/install instructions. I have searched but didn't find anything very specific. So, if anyone has any info on this procedure it would be greatly appreciated. I really gotta get those darn repair manuals If not, does anyone know if I need to seperate one of the ball joints from the spindle to get the shock/spring assembly out
Old 05-06-03, 10:35 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rear part of the suspension was fairly easy and straight forward....

The front part is rather diffcult...You would have to yank it out with much strength becuase the control arms are in the way...

and of course you would have to compress your new spring and shock together and put it back in...

My knowledge is limited but I don't suggest you do this yourself if you have never done it before...
Old 05-06-03, 10:55 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

There are over 10 threads about shock installs on this forum. However, like one hot said....if you don't know what you are doing, the SC is not a car to learn on. One wrong move will cost you about $900.

MW
Old 05-06-03, 10:58 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

One Hot, Thanks for the reply . I have worked on many suspensions so it's not that I have never done it, just not on this car. I was hoping to get a little info going in to it so I know a little bit of what to expect. When you say yank it out with much strength because the control arms are in the way does that mean you don't have to seperate a ball joint?
Old 05-06-03, 11:21 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Here is what you need.

Don't need to remove the ball joint unless if you have tools and torque wrench to reset the upper control arm. Hermosa says that a shop he uses removed the lower shock mount from the lower front control arm to remove the strut, but I don't think this works. If you decide to pop the front lower joints, then get the proper tool. Do not use a pickle fork as the SC ball joint seems to not take well to even the lightest of touch. I used a lever type ball joint removal tool to safely remove the joint. If you do all of this, replace the control arm bushings while you are at it. They are $99 from tmengineering.net . It takes only 20mins a side longer and makes a HUGE difference.

The lexus/toyota manual says remove the UPPER from control arm from the chassis to remove the front spring/strut. however, becareful and use proper tools. This is made of softer material. and also you need to detach the sensor for fear of wrecking it.

The rest of the job is a walk in the park and just a matter of doing it.

Hear are some tips before you start.
Get a long socket for the rear strut tops to remove the nuts.
Remove the sway bar links to allow for more movement of the control arms.
Mark all suspension bolts in the control arms before starting to retain alignment.
Get a 25-150ft/lbs torque wrench.
You don't need spring compressors. (stocks are not under more than 20lbs of pressure, lowered springs are not under any pressure)

Best of luck

MW
Old 05-06-03, 11:27 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

pcmw, Sir, I did a search with the words "shock install" as you said and many more combinations and, as you said,came up with many threads about shock installs. None of these threads contained any specific procedural information about the install. Most were about what the car looked like afterward or where to go to have it done. If I am not seeing the thread that has this specific information I am seeking, I apologize, and if this is the case could you please point me in the right direction?
Not to worry. I do not intend on "learning about cars" on my SC. I am a trained and somewhat experienced body Tech/ painter/ AC tech( certified)/ Frametech/ Estimator/ detailer and spit shiner. Trained at Dunwoody institute in minneapolis ( supposedly the best body school in the 5 state area, I don't see how) So the car is in good hands, I hope Stuff happens
Old 05-06-03, 11:32 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

pcmw, Thank you very much for the info
Old 05-07-03, 12:24 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Attached Thumbnails Spring-shock install procedure-asdf.jpg