Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra Brakes Impact On Stock System

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 11:02 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Supra Brakes Impact On Stock System

So, I'm researching brake upgrades, and the Supra setup is at the top ofd the list so far.

- The OEM braking system was designed to work with smaller, less powerful brakes
- The system was calibrated (I'm assuming) for lighter brakes
- The system was calibrated (I'm assuming) for brakes that were proportionally adjusted (front & rear)

So if all of a sudden, you bolt on heavier, more powerful brakes, just in the front, wouldn't that negatively effect the braking performance, or, can the braking system decipher the adjustment?

How does ABS see it?

I wouldn't think so, and haven't read anything here, but from and engineering perspective, you just don't bolt on bigger and better pieces to a specifically designed system and get a linear better result.

TIA
Old 05-07-03, 11:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts
Default Re: Supra Brakes Impact On Stock System

Originally posted by Dex

- The system was calibrated (I'm assuming) for lighter brakes

How does ABS see it?

Point of reference on Supra TT brake upgrade weight difference.

I was worried about ABS when I did my brake upgrade, but it seems to work just fine. I probably tested it too soon in the break-in period of my rotors and contributed to their needing to be resurfaced. My neck still hurts from the test.
Old 05-07-03, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for the record, the abs system works very well with my ap racing as well. as long as i stop hard and the fornt locks up (start to hear tires chirp) abs kicks in right the way and works its way through. i test drove manaray's car with ap racing and it's the same thing too. not sure how abs exactly works (what it monitors, etc...) but seems like it's working very well. and the ap racing has much lighter weight and much more aggressive stopping power.

and of course, when you upgrade brakes, you should ALWAYS upgrade rear to some extend to get a relatively balanced system. so if someone goes out and get the ap racing front, but decide to keep the stock rear, i would smile and really think it's a pretty good looking system but that's about it. that's why when i upgraded my systems, i got ss lines for the back as well, together with new drilled rotors and more aggressive pads. of course, upgrading the rear calipers as well would be the best (if calculated right) for the most balanced setup, but money always comes into play. in my car my stopping definitely doesn't degrade a little bit with the upgrade, so i believe my new pads and ss lines at the back do a pretty good job already.
Old 05-07-03, 01:57 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
...and of course, when you upgrade brakes, you should ALWAYS upgrade rear to some extend...
C/D + Slotted + EBC Greens is what I have in the rear right now, but stock calipers. Could I add SS lines and be done back there?
Old 05-07-03, 02:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
and the ap racing has much lighter weight and much more aggressive stopping power.

Rominl,

What's the weight of the AP racing setup? It uses even larger rotors than the Supra TT setup which have to be heavier too, right?
Old 05-07-03, 02:32 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dex
C/D + Slotted + EBC Greens is what I have in the rear right now, but stock calipers. Could I add SS lines and be done back there?
I would recommend you to do the brake lines in all 4 corners. Not an expansive upgrade. Cost around $110 for Goodridge setup.
Old 05-07-03, 10:39 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Rominl,

What's the weight of the AP racing setup? It uses even larger rotors than the Supra TT setup which have to be heavier too, right?
The AP rotor used in the Stillen kit are 7.7 Kg (without the hat) and the calipers are 3.0 Kg. I'll let you do the conversion to english weight.
Old 05-07-03, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Dex
actually, if you have ss lines in the front, you should ALWAYS put ss lines in the rear as well. i mean, if you only have it for the front, and you stand on the brakes hard, what will happen? the front lines won't expand, but the rear expand..... so you lose some pressure again..... not something you want, right?
Old 05-07-03, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Rominl,

the ap racing caliper is one of teh lightest i know. it's oly 6.xlb, where the stock one and the supra tt one is like 15lb or so. i know brembo is 7.xlb. yup, my 13.5" rotors are pretty heavy, but the overall setup would be lighter (i read it somewhere)
Old 05-07-03, 10:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by QBranchCars
The AP rotor used in the Stillen kit are 7.7 Kg (without the hat) and the calipers are 3.0 Kg. I'll let you do the conversion to english weight.
that converts to 6.6lb for caliper and ~17lb for rotors. umm..... the caliper is right as what i read, but the rotors seem to be a lot heavier than my stock caliper? but you could be right
Old 05-08-03, 05:45 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

Hey Dex , I'm doing the same thing. Can I put the Supra TT brakes on with my stock 16's ?
Old 05-08-03, 05:48 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MasterG
Hey Dex , I'm doing the same thing. Can I put the Supra TT brakes on with my stock 16's ?
Nope - none of the stock Lexus wheels will work with the Supra setup.
Old 05-08-03, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

not even close. the supra tt calipers are one of the biggest you can find out there in terms of clearance needed on the wheels
Old 05-10-03, 10:19 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big ol' caliper looks nice as well, but its kind of a shame to have the TT setup without a little flare in the way of drilled or slotted. some people just go with solid rotors
Old 05-10-03, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

No, the Supra calipers are huge.

Quick Reply: Supra Brakes Impact On Stock System