Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Besides Supra TT setup ... is there any way to make my car STOP ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 10:41 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Besides Supra TT setup ... is there any way to make my car STOP ?

Ok ... I admit ... I need a brake upgrade. I tried to deny it long enough. For those of you who plan to make 500HP ...you can plan on upgrading your brakes as well.

So now .. is there an alternative to spending like $800 ?????
Old 05-16-03, 12:13 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bite the bullet bro...
Old 05-16-03, 12:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The Supra TT upgrade is the cheapest route possible. Otherwise you're looking at StopTech, AP Racing, Brembo, Wilwood, etc. We're talking $2000-5000.

If you want a cheap, temporary, yet inadequate upgrade, buy EBC Green Stuff pads and upgrade your brake lines to braided steel.
Old 05-16-03, 12:43 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=82466
Old 05-16-03, 01:04 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I am assuming there is no brake upgrade that would allow me to continue using my stock 15s ? (*edit* without spacers)

Last edited by Angel; 05-16-03 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 01:52 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Angel
I am assuming there is no brake upgrade that would allow me to continue using my stock 15s ? (*edit* without spacers)
nuh uh

you might want to try Hawk Pads (dont know if they make them for stock brakes) and rotors...

what kind of braking do you usually do? low speed hard braking? a series of hard brakings... or one or two high speed braking runs???

where big brakes help the most is against brake fade- with a good set of pads you can brake quite well... but not continuously
Old 05-16-03, 11:43 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I thought brakes might be an issue. But after really getting on it - the stock brakes seem to be just fine. I was impressed infact. Cheaper ways of dealing with it could be stainless steel line upgrades and dot 4 fluid on the stock stoppers. I'd feel comfortable with that short of running in the 1 lap of america or something. But I've still got my upgrade and I'll install it when the stocker pads wear down. Wich at this rate will be three years from now.
Old 05-17-03, 05:43 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Maybe I just need to look into replacing my stock stuff ... and making some minor upgrades as you suggested ... because as my car sits right now, it is very dangerous when trying to slow down.
Old 05-17-03, 08:05 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Try some Performance Friction Pads,can get them at Autozone.
Old 05-19-03, 08:24 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

$600-$800 is the deal of the century for what your getting in supra brakes. 13" rotors and 4 pot calipers on aby other car would be around $2k minimum, so we're getting off lucky. I'm personally going with alcon / grex brakes all around to stop the almost 750hp i'll have by the end of the summer.
Old 05-20-03, 10:23 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

bm, put mine together for even less, Angel seek and ye shall find, I put together TT frt and rear brakes, SS lines, EBC pads, and slotted rotors all around for about seven bills. Got all four calipers, hardware, pads, and the TRD lines for $275 plus another $25 for shipping (less than the price of one new caliper), the slotted frt rotors were donated to my project new in the box by gadgetSC (thx my brotherfromanothermother), and I ordered the slotted rear rotors and EBC pads new, which my cost is pretty reasonable on. The only other problem is caliper clearance, i'm not much for shaving the heat sinks, so my existing rolling stock needed to be replaced, thus the Volks and AVS rubber, and that was the big expense, but I just opened an account with Mackin, so that helped a bit on the cost, so if any of you are upgrading and need a hookup, let me know and i'll do the best I can for you.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 05-26-03 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 06:34 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Angel, like they said, bite the bullet. The TT brake setup is around $800, but is well worth it. As far as upgrades go, this is a crucial upgrade for those with power. The difference in braking power under your foot is unbelievable. I have never been able to fade these brakes, Never even came close to locking them up. What you can do to keep your brakes in balance if you're sticking with the stock rears is switch to EBC greenstuffs in the front and switch to TRD pads on your stock rear rotors. The front TT brakes are so powerful that you need to reduce the friction a little up front and increase it in back to regain your F-R brake balance. This has worked very well for me. The stock Toyota pads up front are extremely powerfull-- a bit too much.
Old 07-23-03, 03:59 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I made mine fade out pretty badly the other day. I remembered what I said here and figured I'd better eat my words on it. I'm getting the dust off those parts for next weekend install. Replace your brakes.
Old 07-24-03, 03:28 PM
SCV8
Instructor

If I could fit the TT setup behind my Borbet wheels(3/8" interference),I would,but you may find a better price through rebuilders for the calipers.
When my pads wear down,I'll get larger,late model LS rotors,and make some brackets to push the stock calipers out a bit,since that's all that'll fit,cheap too.
The TT setup is the best,highest quality deal for the $.
Old 07-26-03, 02:08 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know how much additional room is needed behind the wheel to do the TT upgrade? How much more room do the TT calipers need? I've only got about 1/2 inch room between my calipers and the rim.

Quick Reply: Besides Supra TT setup ... is there any way to make my car STOP ?