Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

what to buy first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 09:45 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what to buy first?

hello everyone. I just got back from a lexus meet in maggie valley. I was happy with how the sc performed in the corners, but i did notice some body roll. So i have decided that i need to make some upgrades to the suspension. I have done a search and have found that these are the parts i should get.

Struts = Tokico Blue
Springs = Eibach Pro Kit
Sway Bars = Daizen SC
Control Arm Bushings = Daizen Control arm Bushings
Strut bar = JIC Carbon Fiber

My question is, which should i get first? Me being a college student, its gonna be hard for me to save enough money to get everything. i guess i can kinda break this up into packages. Im assuming struts, springs, and CA bushings should get put on the same time; while the sway bars and strut tower bar can be put on independently?? So i guess the main question is, should i lower the car, get sway bars, or an STB first? Also, i noticed JIC has a aluminum and a carbon fiber STB. is the CB STB that much better than the aluminum? Last stupid question of the thread, is where are some good places to get these items for a good price. thanks everyone.
Old 05-20-03, 09:47 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Default btw

oh by the way, i have a 95 SC300, not sure if that will make a difference
Old 05-21-03, 12:17 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey!

You could go for the STB at any time, but please reference Manaray's thread about the strut bolts not being long enough to thread completely through the holes on the STB.

If you want to really do it right, I would suggest the JIC coilovers...full range of adjustability, and works with the STB even better. IMO, the carbon fiber is more for looks, they should both function equally.

Rich aka Lex400sc has had the bushings installed....it is not for the faint at heart.....I recall install times of 4 to 5 hours with TWO people. With one person, double that. Even when the folks did it more than once. I would say a very good mod....just talk to the folks that have done so already...
Sway bars anytime...
Old 05-22-03, 06:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

If you dislike the body roll, buy the Daizen sway bar replacements. They will have the largest effect on stabilizing the car around the curves. Lower springs/coilovers are probably the next thing, and coilovers are a precondition of installing a front strut tower bar so I would go with coilovers. In fact I plan on switching to coilovers myself in the future. Poly bushings also have a great effect on body roll as it stiffens the entire suspension completely. Basically any suspension mod will have an effect against body roll, but sway bars will do the most for you. It's just too bad the Daizen sways aren't in stock at the moment. Come on Todd, you're killing us!
Old 05-22-03, 06:31 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Also, don't forget to check into the underbody chassis braces made by Do-luck. Those will help you out a lot as well!
Old 05-22-03, 08:25 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Default thanks

thanks for the info guys. i was leaning towards getting the sways first, followed by the coilovers, coz i just read somewhere that the STB can be installed a lot easier with the longer bollts fromt he coilovers......or something like that...haha. Sorry about my ignorance on this subject. I haven't heard much about the do-luck braces, would you care to tell me more about these?? and Does no one know where to get this items for a good price??
Old 05-22-03, 10:59 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Check the FAQ.
Old 05-23-03, 04:50 AM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad we could help...it would be good to see more SC's at these meets anyways. SOrry I couldn't make it last week btw...