Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 07:35 PM
LexFather

Default Installed rear UGO STB by myself, driving impressions (3nd best mod, IMO)

No joke, besides the TRD SWAYS, the rear STB makes an INSTANTLY noticable difference. Take a corner in a 20mph zone at 45 mph and find out what I am talking about.

To see for myself, I drove the same path back here (think Deal's Gap) without the rera STB, then WITH THE rear STB, I was so shocked, I TOOK IT OFF, drove the same road again and realized the rear STB totally kept my rear planted. I am shocked.

I came back home and quite frankly, the Ugo rear STB looks flimsey, ESPECIALLY with the HUGE TRD STB (which people have remarked it's the biggest they ever saw, uhhh STB) . I showed my dad it last week and he was trying to bend it (to no avail)l. It's Carbon Fiber and light, light, light.

Oh, I had to go to HOME DEPOT and buy $60 worth of tools. But, I'm getting older, WHAT'S A MAN WITHOUT TOOLS.

I needed a 10mm thingie to take off the hooks in the trunk and a 7/16s thingie (I think it was 7/16s) to take off the bolts. I sauced the bolts in WD-40 and some oil and then went to Home Depot so they had time to soak.

Took out the trunk lining and it honestly took me less time than the TRD STB (cause I did not have to jack the car up).

I left the liner OUT, cause, IMO, it looks BEAUTIFUL in the trunk agianst the white. I've seen it in DaveGS4s car WITH the lining. I saw it in MUMBLES car without the lining. Both have black cars and you can't really see it. Against my white backdrop, it reminds me of homes or buildings (those into that stuff) with exposed braces in the roof. The red on the edges really sets it off.

Pics to come, it's dark now. Honestly, I would say (for those not into saving trunk space) do this AFTER the SWAYS, you will notice a huge difference.

Anybody want a ride to see what I'm talking about?

Big PROPS to Mumbles, who sold me the rear STB, Dex (I used his directions on his website) and the LIBRARY at CLUBLEXUS, I used the DYI directions there too.

I am like, really happy with this mod. 10 outta 10
Old 05-23-03, 07:55 PM
AROD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did you get it for.? Good to know I just bought the sways and I was looking for the next step thanks.
Old 05-23-03, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

1Sick - really glad you like the rear STB. As you know, I was pleased with mine. Now you need the Tom's rear LCB to match it and really 'box' the rear. Another GREAT mod.
Old 05-24-03, 02:05 AM
LexFather

1Sick - really glad you like the rear STB. As you know, I was pleased with mine. Now you need the Tom's rear LCB to match it and really 'box' the rear. Another GREAT mod
Thanks Bit. I WILL be ordering this soon from Steve. I cannot believe how this car handles now. Thanks a million dude, you made me a believer.

After that, I feel my suspension is where it needs to be and I will focus on cosmetics.
Old 05-24-03, 09:04 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

I guess my driving style is weird because I could not tell the difference as obviously as you Sick.

I had already done the Toms Rear LCB back in February (one of my first set of mods), and I recently put in the Cusco rear STB. However I did not notice any difference in the tightness of the car (which is how it felt before the stb).

I feel this tightness the most whenever I go from my 97 Maxima SE (bone stock) to the GS. The GS feels solid as a rock or as Car & Driver says - carved from a solid block of metal. However I cannot attribute the stiffness and rigidity to any one particular mod the way you did Sick. On the other hand the Max now feels like crap - soft, mushy, no firmness or directness in the suspension ............. And to think I actually thought the stock Maxima handled very well (this was before I got indoctrinated into Lexus and Club Lexus's mod disease).

I guess it is because I did not do my mods one at a time, but a few at a time........................
Old 05-24-03, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Well, these STBs only make a notible difference at high speeds and on turns or corners. I'm going to hit some highway ramps (spaghetti junction probably) and see how it feels doing 80-90 on a 55mph turn.

At low speeds, the car's rear felt solid, so when I was turning at twice the speed limit I was confident the whole car was going in the direction I sent it. Before, the rear was twitchy to me and I had to slow down.

Going straight on on small turns, I can tell no difference.

It's not like I can tell most of the time. But when deal's gap comes, I will feel more comfortable.

Like I said, I did it without the rear STB, with the STB, again without the STB and it made a huge difference.

BUt it comes at a BIG cost, IMO. Trunk space.
How much did you get it for.? Good to know I just bought the sways and I was looking for the next step thanks.
Steve Ganz sells the UGO front and rear STB as a package.

http://l-tunedparts.com/index.html
Old 05-24-03, 11:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
I guess my driving style is weird because I could not tell the difference as obviously as you Sick.

I had already done the Toms Rear LCB back in February (one of my first set of mods), and I recently put in the Cusco rear STB. However I did not notice any difference in the tightness of the car (which is how it felt before the stb).
There's a HUGE difference in what you did vs. 1SickLex. He doesn't have the Toms rear LCB! Since you already had it (and it's a HUGE piece of metal), adding a rear STB wouldn't have made that much difference compared to the LCB. 1Sick added the STB first which I believe is why he noticed it more.
Old 05-24-03, 12:15 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats SICK! Nice write-up!
Old 05-25-03, 05:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
There's a HUGE difference in what you did vs. 1SickLex. He doesn't have the Toms rear LCB! Since you already had it (and it's a HUGE piece of metal), adding a rear STB wouldn't have made that much difference compared to the LCB. 1Sick added the STB first which I believe is why he noticed it more.
Ah, I see the light at the end of the stiffness tunnel finally!!! I did not realize Sick did not have the rear LCB.
Old 05-26-03, 02:54 PM
LexFather

As you can see, I did not re-install the trunk liner. I like it like this.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED-mike-lexus-pics0001small.jpg  
Old 05-26-03, 02:58 PM
LexFather

What u think?
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED-mike-lexus-pics0002small.jpg  
Old 05-26-03, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Up close. Like I said, add oil and WD-40 and they come right off. Wipe up any excess oil.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED-mike-lexus-pics0003small.jpg  
Old 05-26-03, 03:01 PM
LexFather

Ugo! I did some research on Ukyo Katayama, he is an award winning Japanese race car driver.
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED-mike-lexus-pics0004small.jpg  
Old 05-26-03, 03:02 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Just my opinion, but your trunk looks naked an unfinished now. I prefer the look with the carpet. But each to his own!!!
Old 05-26-03, 03:02 PM
LexFather

Here is the rear carpet liner. As stated in the Library and Dex;s directions, it is ONE PIECE, be careful or you will have to staple the back to the sides again (it is stapled from the factory).
Attached Thumbnails Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED-mike-lexus-pics0005small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Installed rear UGO STB myself, driving impressions and PICS ADDED