Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC300 Suspension Compatibility Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 02:27 AM
ridah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc300 completly interchangeable with mkiv

Can use after market springs and shocks made for the mkiv supra, or even the stock suspension that they come with. Or would I have to by sc300 spacifc shocks and springs?
Old 06-01-03, 09:19 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I just installed Supra TT KYB shocks w/ Eibach Springs in the front and Supra TT factory shocks w/ Eibachs Springs in the rear ... fit perfectly.
Old 06-02-03, 11:02 AM
ridah
Driver School Candidate

the springs you used were eibachs were made for the mkiv or the sc?

Also the shocks you used, why did you use the stock shocks in the rear instead of the kyb mkivs like the fronts.
Old 06-02-03, 11:46 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

The springs were also for a Supra. I bought everything from a Supra owner right off of his car.

The reason I used KYBs in the front is because that is what he gave me maybe Supra TTs come with KYBs stock ??? I dunno. The rears said Toyota on them, the fronts said KYB.
Old 06-21-03, 06:51 AM
95sc300t
Driver

I just did the same thing as Angel.. Except for went full stock Supra TT suspension swap. KYB does make the stock Supra front shocks.

I got a nice package from Titan motorsports guys.. Basically, I got front and rear swaybars, all four corners shock/strut assemblies, Twin Turbo Supra brakes, (Calipers, pads, rotors), and a limited slip unit to have installed in my rear end, all for under $900.00 total.

All this stuff was stock off a Twin Turbo supra, but hey, its an upgrade to me. Car rides much more solidly now, but over sharp, small bumps, something sounds loose, or slightly clunky in the front.. I've checked all the bolts, and nothing is loose. Maby its the stiffer shocks?

Angel, did you notice anything similar on yours?
Old 06-21-03, 09:45 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I don't notice any clunking or anything, sorry, can't relate/help there. But I do have a constant ABS light on now
Old 07-18-03, 10:15 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

How is the ride height with the stock Supra suspension, 95sc300t?

I was thinking of getting the exact same stuff from Titan.

Can you put the 6 speed LSD guts in a SC's diff?? I didn't think it would fit????
Old 07-18-03, 11:09 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Actually Fred, The ride height is within about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch to the original setup. I went around and measured right next to each wheel, from ground to the fender lip, and that is how close everything was.

I have also just finished installing the Daizen urethane busching kits.. All of then, except for the rear wheel spindle pieces, because the rear hub assembly would have to be removed from the car, in order to install, and that was too much of a pain.

Results are a very significant increase in handling, and road-feel, including road-noise. I 'MIGHT" go back to stock front upper arms, as those alone added about 70% of all the extra noise. Otherwise, I'm QUITE happy with the results. Also, Todd M was really, no.. REALLY helpful answering any and all of my questions, or concerns during the process.

As of 2 days ago, I had the stock toyota LSD from an Automatic supra installed into my stock rear end, and they didn't even have to make any adjustments, or install any shims.. It worked great, and now I can have one wheel in dirt, and the other on pavement, get on it, while floating along about 5 mph, and I just go. No wheelspin, no Traction control light on the dash. I pulled onto a dirt road, and turned Traction control off, and left two perfect burnouts for about 20 feet, so it for sure works great, and fits inside the pumpkin with no problem. I don't know if the 6-speed stock Supra rear-ends are different though, as that might make a difference.
Old 07-19-03, 12:32 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Oh OK, you got an auto diff center from Titan? Every time I've asked he only has the 6 speed centers.

If I'm not troubling you too much about the suspension, what sort of gap did you get between your rubber and guards? I have 235/45/17, hoping you have about the same to get a good idea......
Old 07-19-03, 03:32 PM
95sc300t
Driver

I havn't had stock size wheels/tires for some time now, but I'll take some pictures of the car tomorow, now that I have the nice wheels/tires... (245/40/18-front, 295/35/18-rear) and you can get an idea..

I'm also in the process of upgrading to another computer, so I'm still doing a lot of re-configuring on my system, so its a bit spotty with loggin on,but I'll give it a go.

Actually, you can see the car at my web site, with the old wheels.. www.qualitytint.com

Click on the lowest link, for the 18" wheels/tires for sale.
Old 07-26-03, 01:09 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally posted by 95sc300t
now that I have the nice wheels/tires... (245/40/18-front, 295/35/18-rear) and you can get an idea..

How do you keep the rear tires from scrubbing the fender? I now have on a set of VOLK GTP's at 18x9 front and 18x10 rear (245-40-18 and 275-35-18) and they scrub that little lip on the fender well.

Thanks,

Nicholas
Old 07-26-03, 08:04 PM
95sc300t
Driver

The wheels I have are the Enkie Aegis 18's. They have the correct offset to where 285's would not rub. My 295's rubbed just a tiney little bit, so I rolled the fender lip in just a bit (Actually having the body shop do this) to make sure it doesn't rub.

I forgot to post pictures the other day..DOH! Now I gotta wait another week till the car gets done with a fresh new paint job to get some nice pictures for you guys.
Old 07-27-03, 06:21 AM
genyosai
Driver

The wheels I have are the Enkie Aegis 18's. They have the correct offset to where 285's would not rub.
That's excellent. My rear rims are a 18x10 +43 offset. What's the rize and offset on your rear rims? I ended up shaving some of the fender lip so that the tires wouldn't rub on dips, bumps, and cornering.

What year is your SC again? Mine is a 1992, so there was the black fender well trim that I shaved as well. Does your car have this fender trim? If so, when folding the lip under, did you have to remove this trim?

thanks,
Old 07-27-03, 08:12 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Here is the specs page of the Enkie Aegis: http://www.enkei.com/Luxury/aegis.htm

As you can see on there, its a 18 x 9.5 with a 45mm offset, so it is just a little bit closer to the car's suspsnsion, leaving more room towards the fender.

Bummer deal is, if you reached behind the tire, like my 295 series, there is still 1 inch that everything could still go inside before hitting the shock tower.. Meaning that with a 50mm offset we should be able to get 315's or so back there.. Hehe.. Now THAT would look sweet!

Also, mine is a 95 SC, and will soon be turbo. That is why I want as much tire in the back as possible, but I don't want it getto, sticking out of the fender area, and rubbing. And I removed the black trim pieces from the car. Its in the body shop getting a fresh coat of paint, and I told them to make the area where I rolled the fender lip nice and clean, plus welding over all the little holes where the fender trim bolted on. With the trim removed, you cannot even tell that it should go there, so I don't plan on putting it back, especially since it wouldn't be able to be attached where the fender was rolled...

It was really tough to find the wheels that would not only get really wide tires, but fit on a Rear wheel drive car, AND clear the front calipers, which are at this point Twin Turbo Supra calipers/rotors. But, the Aegis's do the trick.

Here is where I decided to get the Aegis wheels.. Take away this SC's wing, and it looks almost identical to mine. Silver and all. http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=330

Have a good one.
Old 07-27-03, 04:05 PM
genyosai
Driver

Also, mine is a 95 SC, and will soon be turbo.
Cool. I have VOLK GTP's on my car now, no rubbing. I'm now prepping everything for my 2JZ-GTE engine swap. Going for Supra power. Below is a link to the Supra motor still on my engine stand:

Quick Reply: SC300 Suspension Compatibility Questions