Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alignment on lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-17, 01:05 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment on lowered car

Finally winter is over so I had my new summer tires installed. The dealership noticed wear on the inners of the winter tires so I had a 4 wheel alignment performed. The Toe was adjusted but they couldn't adjust the Camber and & Caster because of my coilovers. They recommend me to go to alignment shop. I read that Toe is the most important and Camber can't be adjusted? Would just adjusting the Toe be enough? I don't want my summer tires to wear prematurely.
Old 05-01-17, 01:09 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

inner tire wear is common on our cars I believe due to soft lower control arm bushings that change the suspension geometry under braking. RR Racing offers their Ultimate Steering Response System or USRS to fix this issue and improve handling and steering feel.
Old 05-01-17, 01:20 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aspect
inner tire wear is common on our cars I believe due to soft lower control arm bushings that change the suspension geometry under braking. RR Racing offers their Ultimate Steering Response System or USRS to fix this issue and improve handling and steering feel.
In my situation right now, would an alignment for camber and caster be necessary? Is it true they can't be adjusted?
Old 05-02-17, 01:07 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

You will want rear adjustable camber arms and an adjustable UCA in order to set the camber just where you want it. For the rear, there is also a toe arm available is desired to dial you in that much more.
Old 05-02-17, 01:56 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Adjusting caster is rarely necessary. Whether or not adjusting camber is necessary or not depends on what you are trying to do; what is your camber measurement now, and what do you want it to be? A degree or two of negative camber isn't going to make a real difference in tire wear, and will help the car corner better. If you are just trying to reduce inner tire wear, Aspect explained the problem and gave a solution. The other solution is to get lower control arm bushings from FIGS.
Old 05-02-17, 03:27 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
You will want rear adjustable camber arms and an adjustable UCA in order to set the camber just where you want it. For the rear, there is also a toe arm available is desired to dial you in that much more.
Okay thanks I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
Adjusting caster is rarely necessary. Whether or not adjusting camber is necessary or not depends on what you are trying to do; what is your camber measurement now, and what do you want it to be? A degree or two of negative camber isn't going to make a real difference in tire wear, and will help the car corner better. If you are just trying to reduce inner tire wear, Aspect explained the problem and gave a solution. The other solution is to get lower control arm bushings from FIGS.
I'm not tracking just daily drive. I have AWD and I'm only lowered 1.5" from stock height. I'm just trying to reduce inner tire wear. So after the dealership adjusted my toe to specs he said he couldn't adjust the camber and caster because I'm lowered. I don't know if that makes sense. He told me to go to a performance alignment shop to get the rest of the adjustments. My question is if I go to a performance alignment shop would they be able to adjust anything else other than the toe that was already adjusted?