Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upper Control Arm IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 05:53 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Yes sir you are correct. The thing is they don't have an after market AWD replacement. Is there another way to put the bushing in without a press? I have access to one but I prefer to do the work at home. It looks possible to do the stamped steel looks thin enough. I'll have to look on YouTube or google some pics.
Why can't it be done like ball joints I've run into. You get the shaft in the hole, thread the bolt on and start tightening. The friction of the shaft on the control arm should keep the bolt from spinning.
Old 01-04-18, 06:58 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Why can't it be done like ball joints I've run into. You get the shaft in the hole, thread the bolt on and start tightening. The friction of the shaft on the control arm should keep the bolt from spinning.
haven't actually tried to get in there yet. you may be right; hope you are I HAVE to get a new driver upper joint, so I think I'm just gunna get the joints themselves and give it a go. too much cheaper to not at least try
Old 01-04-18, 07:36 AM
jr4div2
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhtide
haven't actually tried to get in there yet. you may be right; hope you are I HAVE to get a new driver upper joint, so I think I'm just gunna get the joints themselves and give it a go. too much cheaper to not at least try
Well be sure and let us all know how it works out. Seems to be a big question that could save a lot of money for a lot of folks.
Old 01-04-18, 08:19 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

Originally Posted by jr4div2
Well be sure and let us all know how it works out. Seems to be a big question that could save a lot of money for a lot of folks.

gunna order today and have a go as soon as they get in. gunna do loaner tools for the press and joint remover from autozone. will probably go for the spc adjustable ***** @ ~$45/ea. will post pics and update on the process when I get em delivered
Old 01-04-18, 08:25 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

https://thmotorsports.com/i-2497481....iABEgLZRvD_BwE

wont necessarily order thru thm, but these are probably what i'll go for. heard a lot of horror stories about this middleman website...
Old 01-05-18, 07:01 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

zero experience with that. ive heard rumors that, in a pinch (haha), its possible to use a size-appropriate, run-of-the-mill C-clamp... I can imagine though that they make a tool for specifically that? maybe..
when i went to autozone, they have. ball joint presses as loaner tools. and yes, they are glorified C-clamps. so if you have an autozone near you, i would recommend getting their loaner tool. i order a cheap $25 ball joint (Moog) and will try my hand at gettin it in there once i receive the joint in the mail. if all goes well, i'll get upgraded ones. just don't wanna spend buncha $$ on it until i know it works/ how easy or difficult it'll be. will post update.
Old 01-09-18, 09:11 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

dunno if anyone is still curious about this, but I recently received my Moog upper ball joint (joint-only). will install this weekend when I'm doing my other spacer install/hub removal and post the difficulty.
Old 01-09-18, 09:18 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

dunno if anyone is still curious about this, but I recently received my Moog upper ball joint (joint-only). will install this weekend when I'm doing my other spacer install/hub removal and post the difficulty.
Keep us updated. I need to do this ASAP. Either it's possible or I'll just get an OEM control arm. Also what are your symptoms of the ball joint? Popping noise while turning?
Old 01-09-18, 09:22 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Keep us updated. I need to do this ASAP. Either it's possible or I'll just get an OEM control arm. Also what are your symptoms of the ball joint? Popping noise while turning?
Popping noise while turning as well as popping under acceleration/braking as well. The latter prob when the joint is really bad
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (01-09-18)
Old 01-09-18, 09:36 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect
Popping noise while turning as well as popping under acceleration/braking as well. The latter prob when the joint is really bad
Same symptoms as I'm experiencing.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-18, 11:08 AM
rwhtide
Rookie

I don't personally think I have any real symptoms of a bad ball joint. I do experience a bit of high speed (50+) twitchiness on interstate connectors and bridge connectors. however, that may be a bushing deal... only reason I'm changing the ball joint is because I had to strip the little boot off when installing my H&R's on the front; castle nut didn't wanna budge without spinning the entire unit. all seems ok overall, but figured that the exposed joint was going to wear out prematurely. plus Ive never done this install and just wanted something new to do and learn. will post update

Last edited by rwhtide; 01-09-18 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-15-18, 08:12 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

It looks like the OEM upper arm is the same for both left & right?

Lexus 48610-39135
Old 01-15-18, 08:14 AM
Aspect
Racer

It looks like the OEM upper arm is the same for both left & right?

Lexus 48610-39135
yeah, interchangeable
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...Y2LWdhcw%3D%3D
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (01-15-18)
Old 01-18-18, 08:05 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I don't personally think I have any real symptoms of a bad ball joint. I do experience a bit of high speed (50+) twitchiness on interstate connectors and bridge connectors. however, that may be a bushing deal... only reason I'm changing the ball joint is because I had to strip the little boot off when installing my H&R's on the front; castle nut didn't wanna budge without spinning the entire unit. all seems ok overall, but figured that the exposed joint was going to wear out prematurely. plus Ive never done this install and just wanted something new to do and learn. will post update
Any news on the press in ball joint? I'm receiving my OEM arm this weekend. It looks like I can remove the upper arm without removing the spring assembly itself. I won't know until I actually start remoing everything though.
Old 01-19-18, 03:50 AM
Aspect
Racer

Any news on the press in ball joint? I'm receiving my OEM arm this weekend. It looks like I can remove the upper arm without removing the spring assembly itself. I won't know until I actually start remoing everything though.
yeah you can, just need to pop the ball joint and get a long wrench to the chassis bolts. At least that's how mine went

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm IS250 AWD