Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

does anyone here drift their SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-03, 06:53 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default does anyone here drift their SC300?

i went to a drift clinic type of thing here in vegas today, and i SUCK BAD! does anyone have any tips? i tried weight transfer, but i was just understeering like crazy, i tried e-braking, but it doesnt slide enough, and everytime i tried powerover, i just kinda spun out. btw my car is an auto...
Old 06-15-03, 06:49 PM
JSnake916
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to drift (at all) in the SC, i think it is asolutely necesary to have a limited slip of some sort (doesnt have one stock); whereas other cars (i.e. 240sx) can pull of decent drifts on an open diff. I think the weight of the car combined with the open diff really hampers the SCs sliding skills. (anyways...drifting is 90% driver so keep practicing )
Old 06-17-03, 06:32 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The key really, at least for me, especially w/ a heavier car, is the transissions from heavy-to-light and light-to-heavy throttle, as well as throttle-to-brake and brake-to-throttle situations. The ability to hold the car @ the threshold will make your game, you wait for your moment, and torque it into oversteer while basically directing most of your attention to how you plant the front tyres so that you can maintain weight transfer evenly, not abruptly. Try to think a couple moves ahead, like chess. You may input a directional change now, but with momentum doing it's thing in addition to the suspension, it doesn't always happen when you want it to, you learn how the car reacts to certain inputs under certain situations and get used to where it's taking you. Ppl have a tendency to abruptly hit the brake when the car goes past a certain point of oversteer, and they instantly spin, most of the work is done with the throttle, and modulating it carefully. This only comes with practice, or come through and i'll take you for some 80mph exit ramp drifts, your knuckles will be white for days ....
Old 06-27-03, 07:59 PM
jzz30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soarers are very difficult cars to drift, they are very heavy!
Having said this, there is a jzz30 in the Japanese D1 drift competition (completely carbon fibre doors!)

standard diff is no good, as is automatic transmission, the art of drifting involves being sideways before even entering the corner, this means you often need alot of power to get the wheels spinning before throwing the car into the corner and using weight to get sideways.

i dont even bother trying to drift my soarer, i used to have a S13 Silvia (japanese spec 240sx i think you guys have, but with the SR20 turbo engine) and this thing was so light (1100kg) that it loved to get **** out!

To drift a soarer well you'll need to be very good and have lots of power!

so don't let your first attempt get you down! keep trying and practising, but make sure its on an enclosed road!!
Old 06-29-03, 09:50 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

yeah really heavy, but really possible. auto just makes it 20X's harder. i'll give you the best tip in the world here..... just listen...............

just keep going to meets and practice there you'll learn a LOT ( cuz they know what they're talking about. and there are many ametuer drifter that know their stuff and everyone's supportive cuz most are probably at the same level yu're at). keep at it ( just don't try it on the streets) i wouldn't trust what these people on the forum are saying cuz you don't even know if they drift or not.

and i don't know how you pulled the e-brake and the rears didn't slide out enough...something's wrong with your ebrake.

power over. takes a lot of back and forth countersteering. it's actually pretty difficult.

blah blah blah okay...