Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering Rack Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 07:45 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
What kind of tools did you use to press out the old bushings and press in the new ones?
I just pried them off with a flat head screw driver. Unbolt the two19m bolts and nuts. Prop up the steering rack out of the way. Then wedge a flat head screw driver, and pry out. The bushings themselves don't make full contact to the bore on the steering rack. That makes them much easier to get them out. The AWD has limited room pretty much just enough to get the bushing out.
The following users liked this post:
DJPsystems (07-05-19)
Old 07-05-19, 10:35 AM
dboo06is
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I just pried them off with a flat head screw driver. Unbolt the two19m bolts and nuts. Prop up the steering rack out of the way. Then wedge a flat head screw driver, and pry out. The bushings themselves don't make full contact to the bore on the steering rack. That makes them much easier to get them out. The AWD has limited room pretty much just enough to get the bushing out.
Mike one more question, did you unbolt the bolt on the other side of the subframe as well? So all together to take the bushings off there are 4 bolts?
Old 07-05-19, 10:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dboo06is
Mike one more question, did you unbolt the bolt on the other side of the subframe as well? So all together to take the bushings off there are 4 bolts?
You only remove the 2 19mm bolts for the steering rack. No need to touch the subframe bolts. At least for my AWD I didn't not sure on the RWD.
Old 07-05-19, 01:56 PM
dboo06is
Rookie

You only remove the 2 19mm bolts for the steering rack. No need to touch the subframe bolts. At least for my AWD I didn't not sure on the RWD.
Perfect! I have an AWD 06, Thanks for everything!
Old 07-09-19, 03:01 PM
dboo06is
Rookie

Default Not breaking

The bolt just refuses to break. Put PB Blaster on, 450 ft lb impact wrench and nothing. Please help, I'm tired of this. Getting me really frustrated and I don't wanna take it somewhere to get ****ed by labor prices. Please help!
Old 07-09-19, 03:07 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

The bolt just refuses to break. Put PB Blaster on, 450 ft lb impact wrench and nothing. Please help, I'm tired of this. Getting me really frustrated and I don't wanna take it somewhere to get ****ed by labor prices. Please help!
Are you sure you have the 2 bolts correct? They go through the subframe to the rack. I broke mine loose off with two 19mm wrenches. Are yours severally rusted or something?
The bolt has a nut on the backside holding the rack. Disregard the green wording found the pic online.

If you can post up a picture? I'll tell you one thing too. Getting the bushings to budge out will take some patience.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 07-09-19 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 03:28 PM
dboo06is
Rookie

So are these not the bolts? I feel like such an idiot now

Old 07-09-19, 03:32 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Those are the ones. Is the bolt just spinning? The picture shows the front of the subframe with the bolt head.
Old 07-09-19, 03:33 PM
dboo06is
Rookie

Those are the ones. Is the bolt just spinning? The picture shows the front of the subframe with the bolt head.
No the bolts not spinning at all, it's not budging at all I tried my breaker bar and my impact and nothing. Should I get a 19mm wrench to hold the bolt on the other side?
Old 07-09-19, 03:39 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

No the bolts not spinning at all, it's not budging at all I tried my breaker bar and my impact and nothing. Should I get a 19mm wrench to hold the bolt on the other side?
That's crazy it won't budge with a breaker bar should be a piece of cake. I did mine on just ramps up front. Is the car to low to give you better leverage to move the breaker bar?
Old 07-09-19, 03:43 PM
dboo06is
Rookie

That's crazy it won't budge with a breaker bar should be a piece of cake. I did mine on just ramps up front. Is the car to low to give you better leverage to move the breaker bar?
I used rhino ramps on just the front as well, I could jack it up and maybe get more leverage, I'll try next time. That's enough for today, thanks for everything bro !
Old 07-09-19, 03:50 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I used rhino ramps on just the front as well, I could jack it up and maybe get more leverage, I'll try next time. That's enough for today, thanks for everything bro !
Next time try a 6 pt 19mm socket with 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar. Use a small diameter pipe to slip over the ratchet. I had to do this removing the rear lower control arm bushings. Those suckers I had to lay down, and use some leg muscle to break them loose from the subframe.
Old 09-28-20, 10:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

So has anyone done it to a RWD? I first got word of it this weekend from a member. That the RWD rack bushing seems to be a 1 piece bushing instead of 2 piece like the AWD.

I would say they are similar to these found on the 2nd gen GS models.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html

Old 09-29-20, 11:36 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,274 Posts

So has anyone done it to a RWD? I first got word of it this weekend from a member. That the RWD rack bushing seems to be a 1 piece bushing instead of 2 piece like the AWD.

I would say they are similar to these found on the 2nd gen GS models.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...k-bushing.html
I did some poking around and it seems the rack comes with the bushings installed but maybe I didn't look far enough? That said, it also appeared from crappy drawings that the bushings are split and come out both sides.

Mind you the RWD 2IS all use the same R&P... I should have looked up the AWD R&P.
PS - RWD uses two large bolts like yours. The link to the GS forum uses a bolt and a sleeve. Very different.
The following users liked this post:
MikeFig82 (09-29-20)
Old 09-29-20, 01:09 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I did some poking around and it seems the rack comes with the bushings installed but maybe I didn't look far enough? That said, it also appeared from crappy drawings that the bushings are split and come out both sides.

Mind you the RWD 2IS all use the same R&P... I should have looked up the AWD R&P.
PS - RWD uses two large bolts like yours. The link to the GS forum uses a bolt and a sleeve. Very different.
Yeah hence my post. I'm curious as to why they would not be the same. In the diagrams it shows they are a split design. As no sleeves pictured in the diagrams.

AWD

RWD

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Bushings