Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who have replaced their ball joints ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-03, 01:43 PM
Nick T
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who have replaced their ball joints ?

After skimming through the searches, I've only seen LS and GS owners replace their ball joints. Anywhere from GS with only 30k miles to average of 90-100k miles before replacement. Doesn't seem like any SC owners have replaced their ball joints.

If any of you have replaced your ball joints and or control arm assemblies please tell me at what mileage did you have to replace them ? Looking to see if it's more cost effective to buy new Supra TT control arms that come with harder rubber bushings and new ball joints or to just reuse the old arms and put daizen bushings on. I plan to do both front and rear arms.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Regards
Old 06-13-03, 01:51 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just completed front and rear control arm bushings replacement with Daizen ones..... mechanic said ball joints are in great condition. This is on a 92SC400 with 78k miles.
Old 06-18-03, 08:07 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

VSsc400 ,
Thanks for the reply. Seems like SC owners have not replaced their ball joints. 30 views and only one reply.

Let me rephrase the question. When did you last check your ball joints and at what mileage did you do it? Are there any 200k mile SC owners out there with OK ball joints? 300k mile owners?

Thanks
Old 06-18-03, 05:38 PM
TGrant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just my rear suspension apart to do the bushings -- turns out the rearmost lower arms (shock mounts to them) had the slightest play in the balljoint. My Lexus tech friend says they should have ZERO movement (other than rotational of course). My car has 235k miles.

Don't have a source for balljoints -- I decided to swap in complete Supra Turbo subframe assembly (rather than use new dealer parts or junkyard parts). Looks like the balljoint may be replaceable, not sure.

HTH,
Tim

BTW: The Supra control arms (lower) are different lengths than the SC, and are NOT directly interchangeable.
Old 06-19-03, 08:05 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

TGrant,
235k miles with slight play in the ball joints? How were the bushings when you took them off? clublexus member SC300TURBO has put on front lower control arms from a Supra, I guess the rear lower control arms won't fit then. Where did you get the rear subframe assembly ? You mentioned not dealer part or junkyard part? How much was the complete assembly and do you happen to recall of the SC rear lower control arm was longer or shorter then the Supra arm?

Thanks
Old 06-20-03, 08:27 AM
TGrant
Driver School Candidate

The bushings "seemed" fine -- inserting a large screwdriver through the bolt hole for leverage doesn't allow much movement, but that's hardly a scientific evaluation. BTW, I misspoke regarding source of parts -- I DID get the subframe assy from a junkyard (I should have said that I didn't buy INDIVIDUAL junkyard parts).

I was quoted $100/ea for junkyard control arms (from Fontana, CA yards) -- I ended up with the entire assy for $400 (from Irwindale, CA yard). Turbo brakes and all, although the rotors are a bit thin.

The Supra control arms (the two parallel lower links) are quite a bit shorter than the SCs, while the upper A-arm seems identical. The Supra subframe is wider across the bottom, and the hubs end up in the same location. Haven't checked the length of the forward-facing radius rod, but it does have a much smaller bushing than the SC at the front. The subframe itself also has extra reinforcements welded/bolted on.

BTW, Nick T, what condition are your balljoints in?
Old 06-20-03, 08:48 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

Tgrant,
looks like it's new rear lower control arms or daizen bushings then. Any difference in ride compared to the lexus subframe? Noticeably stiffer, less body flex? Now all you need are the front supra brakes and you will be set
I haven't pulled my control arms off to test the ball joints per the service manual directions. They don't have play in them but with 167k+ miles of pothole infested NE roads I do not know how much longer they will last. Do not want to spend $300 on bushings and 2 days of my labor if they are going to go bad soon. But then again, I do not want to spend $1,000-1,500 on new control arms unless I HAVE to.

Thanks for all the info.

Regards
Old 06-20-03, 08:51 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you ask how to make the car go faster than a Vette then maybe a bunch will jump in to answer
Old 06-20-03, 08:57 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Nick T
They don't have play in them but with 167k+ miles of pothole infested NE roads I do not know how much longer they will last. Do not want to spend $300 on bushings and 2 days of my labor if they are going to go bad soon. But then again, I do not want to spend $1,000-1,500 on new control arms unless I HAVE to.

Thanks for all the info.

Regards
Man, the highway in southern CA are rough too. I thought it should be better than the NE but it weren't.
Old 06-20-03, 09:24 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought all the bushings that DAIZEN makes through TMengineering and had them installed.
control arm bushings for Front, rear, upper, and lower.
sway bar bushings front and back
sway bars front and back

Is totally worth paying the money to have them done.
But the car drives new and steering is perfect.

now that i have all of those and a set of TEIN HA's installed i can take corners like no vette has taken them before.
Old 06-22-03, 07:51 PM
TGrant
Driver School Candidate

The Supra turbo subframe install is finished, and I must say, I'm very happy with the difference. Not sure what was going on with my old one (didn't notice anything drastically wrong), but the rear is now PLANTED!! No telling how many miles are on the replacement, but it feels NEW!

I've had TRD bushings on my front arms for a couple years now, and I'm starting to hear the "cracking" sound when applying brakes while in reverse -- AGAIN. The front end feels vague over 90mph. Maybe some Supra lower arms for the front -- mine have balljoints w/250k miles on them.
Old 06-24-03, 08:27 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

VSsc400,
I guess your advice would be to go with the daizen bushings then?\

Tgrant,
Maybe the wrecking yard you sourced your assembly from has a couple supra rear ends they can sell? Seems like you are very happy with the switch.

VQT,
Cali roads are rough because they haven't repaved in 20 years or more at least they don't have potholes though and if i wanted to make my car as fast as a vette, i'd buy a vette. I'd buy YOUR vette.
Old 06-29-03, 10:15 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

just replaced mine.. 120k miles SC400
Old 06-30-03, 08:22 AM
Nick T
Pole Position

mjames08,
Which ball joints did you replace? Were they available seperately or did you have to replace the whole control arm assembly ?

Thanks
Old 06-30-03, 11:44 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

had to replace the entire assembly.. it was the front lower control arms I believe.. I have an extended warranty so I didn't have to pay for any of it, but the parts were expensive.