Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How does your car feel on big wheels and a different suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 04:37 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally posted by MrSypher
I have Toyo T1-S's and I swear by those tires... IMO the best you can get... But anyway, there's definetly a drop in comfort when you go from a big beefy tire to some lowpro rubberbands.. But it's something that I can deal with considering the ride quality is still better than most cars...
I heard that tread life on these tires is very low........... What is your experience Sypher? How about tractiion in wet weather? Is it good?
Old 06-17-03, 10:19 PM
aristo400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will lose a few MPG with super wide tires and heavier tires. I lost about 2 mpg when I went to 19"x10". Also the car may want to track the grooves in the road due to the low profile tires.

-Jeff
Old 06-17-03, 11:10 PM
BayGS2200
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have tein cs coilovers and 19x10(285/30) and 19x8.5(245/30) dunlop sp sport 9000's, i drive about 90 miles everyday......average no cal roads(some potholes) i don't feel a big diffrence......i mean for what you gain(better handling, looks) the trade offs if any are insignificant(atleast to me)
traction: would depend on the kind of tires you choose, i like the sp sport for a decent compromise on wet/dry handling..........i think the biggest factor just may be how many miles the high performance tires would last for.....then again who cares....it looks goods....it drives good......it's all good!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-18-03, 10:11 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

yea my car tends to track the grooves in the road...it gets kind of annoying sometimes. O yea i got 19x8.5 and 19x10 running 275/30/19 and 245/35/19 respectively. Im actually running 2 differnt tires in the front in rear. Im on Kumho Supra MX in the front and Kumho Supra Ecsta 712 in the rear. This was only cuz i got them for free...and u cant really complain bout free..but if it was up to me...i would never run different tread patterns again...soooo much road noise.

-boris
Old 06-18-03, 03:04 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Hameed
I heard that tread life on these tires is very low........... What is your experience Sypher? How about tractiion in wet weather? Is it good?
Well, tread life depends on the driver and how hard the car is driven.. As for wet conditions with the Toyo T1-S's... Man no complaints out of me... FutureGS was behind me the other day in the rain and I could have picked the pace up to atleast 110 with no problems... But I knew his car couldn't handle it so I didn't.. But on the way home when I was alone I was doing 100-110mph with the occasional drop down to 75 because the V1 had my back ... And that was from Jersey to Connecticut in the rain.. So put it this way, you will never see any other tire on my car.. Thats that....
Old 06-18-03, 04:15 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

can you simply switch out OEM 16's to OEM 17's without having to physically change anything else ? I know people talk about dropping it because of the wheel gap, but since Lexus sells them like this right off the lot, does the gap increase if I just put on bigger rims ? Or does each have a different stock suspension setting that I have to abide by if I move up ?
Old 06-19-03, 08:59 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Lexuspride - You can switch out to any size wheel your heart desires. There is nothing mechanical in the way. The gap will basically stay the same if you brought the correct tire sizes regardless if you have 16's or 20's.

Most people only lower their car for looks.

From my personal experience, lowering the car really didn't affect the ride. After i put on the bigger rims, i felt the road alot more. Also, tire pressure is key as well. The higher the pressure , the harder the ride.
Old 06-20-03, 11:39 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1niceride

lowering the car really didn't affect the ride. After i put on the bigger rims, i felt the road alot more. Also, tire pressure is key as well. The higher the pressure , the harder the ride.
When you lower it it may affect the ride but that depends on the spring rate.. But that's just lowering it... Now if you decide to upgrade the whole Struts/Springs then you'll feel the difference, esp. if you have small profile tires.. But nothing crazy like your tires are made of Granite... Also, yes indeed tire pressure is a big factor, but the more air in the tire the lesser chance you have of bending the rims..
Old 06-20-03, 09:09 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have the Toyo T1-S tires and they are great. Ive had everything from BFGs to Pirelli to Kumho and the Toyos so far have been the best. Tire wear is excellent so far, but still too early to tell (5000 miles). I had all 4 sets of tires on my durango and the Toyos were the best. It has toyos on it now and so does the GS. The road noise from the Toyos is more than the other tires but the wet traction is much better with the Toyo. I live in FL and its been raining alot lately, but I have a lot of confidence in the tires. I would recommend these to anyone.
Old 06-21-03, 11:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Well I'd like to differ from the general views expressed here in my answer to the original question.

I've now driven the same 6 hour drive (all interstate) several times in my modified GS and my wife's RX300. After this last trip in the RX, there's no way I'll take the GS unless I have to. The RX ride was MUCH more comfortable.

For comparison, I have staggered 19's, TRD sways, braces, and L-Tuned springs/shocks.
Old 06-21-03, 09:42 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

Mrsypher- I was going on the basis of my experience. I noticed more of a degradation in ride comfort after i put on my 18"s than changing the springs and struts to the Tom's Advox coilovers. When i had the stock wheels with the coilovers the comfort was still there, but after the big wheels it's rougher. That should be expected considering the rubberband size tires that are replacing the donut sized ones.

On the tire pressure, my car rides better at 38 psi than it does at 42.
Old 06-24-03, 05:59 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna
After this last trip in the RX, there's no way I'll take the GS unless I have to. The RX ride was MUCH more comfortable.
Bit, I hear you on that.... The RX feels like your floating on a cloud and also with the RX I don't have to swerve from potholes.. I just hit those biotches headon.... But after this Friday the RX is no longer becuase I'm taking delivery on my new GX470..

Originally posted by 1niceride
On the tire pressure, my car rides better at 38 psi than it does at 42..
Any car will ride better when the psi is lower... But not super low... But when it comes to air in the tires I think it's better to have more than less.. But thats my opinion and my 20" rims...
Old 06-25-03, 07:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally posted by MrSypher
But after this Friday the RX is no longer becuase I'm taking delivery on my new GX470..
Hey congrats! My wife wants her next vehicle to be great at towing a horse trailer, so it probably won't be a GX470 - it may be a Suburban!